Ben Roethlisberger

twitch54

Re: Ben Roethlisberger
« Reply #60 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:11 pm »
On the strength of his 2nd SB win, he's got a shot...but he's not there yet. 

True.....but remember there is one other two time winning Super Bowl QB NOT in the Hall of Fame.............can you name him ?

twitch54

« Reply #61 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:14 pm »
also dont forget his rookie yr, he had one hell of a run.  i bet he does end up there as long as he isnt in jail first.

So, Jim, how does a Gratefull Dead fan living in Denver become such a 'Steeler fanatic' ?

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #62 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:17 pm »
So, Jim, how does a Gratefull Dead fan living in Denver become such a 'Steeler fanatic' ?
born and raised in Somerset Pa, moved here 2 yrs ago.  matter a fact i worked construction all over PA from '95-2005 and i was going to ask where you live.  i might have set the telephone pole near you!

PhilNYC

« Reply #63 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:22 pm »
True.....but remember there is one other two time winning Super Bowl QB NOT in the Hall of Fame.............can you name him ?

Jim Plunkett?

twitch54

« Reply #64 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:29 pm »
Jim Plunkett?

correct Phil....you win the 'Big Ben' poster !

twitch54

« Reply #65 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:30 pm »
i might have set the telephone pole near you!

Underground utlities...sorry ! besides the utilitiy poles nearby are probably older than you !

PhilNYC

« Reply #66 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:34 pm »
correct Phil....you win the 'Big Ben' poster !

Watch for it on eBay...!

Any thoughts as to why Plunkett isn't in the HOF?  I know next to nothing about his career numbers...but perhaps because one of his SB wins came during a strike year?

jackman

« Reply #67 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:43 pm »
Jimna - Adolescent gloating and a "ends justify the means" attitude, while consistent with the Stealer fan mentality, looks out of place here.

Gee, thanks for helping a new person understand what kind of attitude "looks out of place here".   :thumb:  Maybe you should give Jimna a break. 

Jimna, Big Ben has made some bone-head moves off the field but I don't think the Steelers (Stillers!) would have won those SB's without his leadership and toughness.  I also agree that if he lost either game, he would have taken the blame.  That's how it usually works (unless you name is Trent Dilfer) in the NFL. 

Phil, you aren't saying Plunkett is on the same level as Rothlisberger, are you?  It's fun to argue about who is better, in sports, but I wouldn't want to make the case for Plunkett over Rothlisberger.  Plunkett was serviceable but nothing special.  Ben is a special talent.  Needs to mature a bit (or a lot!) but if he keeps performing (on the field) at this level, he has a great shot at the hall of fame. 

Just sayin,

J

PhilNYC

« Reply #68 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:46 pm »
Phil, you aren't saying Plunkett is on the same level as Rothlisberger, are you?  It's fun to argue about who is better, in sports, but I wouldn't want to make the case for Plunkett over Rothlisberger.  Plunkett was serviceable but nothing special.  Ben is a special talent.  Needs to mature a bit (or a lot!) but if he keeps performing (on the field) at this level, he has a great shot at the hall of fame. 

No, I'm saying that I know almost nothing about Jim Plunkett's career and wondered if anyone could fill me in.  He was a two-time Super Bowl winner, and MVP in one of them...other than the fact that he was an ugly-looking dude, I don't know much about his career....

jackman

« Reply #69 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm »
No, I'm saying that I know almost nothing about Jim Plunkett's career and wondered if anyone could fill me in.  He was a two-time Super Bowl winner, and MVP in one of them...other than the fact that he was an ugly-looking dude, I don't know much about his career....

Hey, Jim was a good looking dude.   :green:  He played with those Raider teams and was a good college athlete (I think he won the heisman) and came off the bench to win his second SB game when in his early 30's when he was a backup.  He was a great guy (is a great guy beause he's still living) and his life story is inspirational.  He is the first Mexican American to win the MVP in the SB and he was raised by two blind parents.  He always seemed like a classy guy on a team of not so classy guys.  Didn't have the numbers to make it into the hall but I will always consider myself a fan. 

Cheers,

J

PhilNYC

« Reply #70 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm »
When I was a young teenager, I remember having a Jim Plunkett jigsaw puzzle...not sure why I had it, perhaps it was a birthday present of some kind...but he was wearing a New England Patriots uniform.  And all I could remember thinking was "wow, he's ugly!"... :lol:

pjchappy

« Reply #71 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:42 pm »
Let's not get personal here, folks.  Also, keep politics out of this (some left are a touch borderline).  I have removed some posts.

Paul

PhilNYC

« Reply #72 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:43 pm »
Let's not get personal here, folks.  Also, keep politics out of this.  I have removed some posts.

Paul

I'm sorry that I called Jim Plunkett "ugly"... :wink:

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #73 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:46 pm »
i couldnt agree more jackman.   until all the recent events i had been a total ben fluffer, i even wear his jersey to concerts here in CO which gets me grief...but i dont think the steelers would have won either SB without him, the first one he got them there, and the second he really helped win.   and again, that rookie yr was so fun to watch happen, and it snow balled into the 2005 season which will go down as one of the best season finishes ever.

all that being said i am disturbed by all this.  the first time i totally disreguarded, but now im suspect like the rest.  i do know this is exactly the type of thing the Rooney's will not put up with.  if he is charged they will replace him.   

i do love pittsburgh, yinzers are the salt of the earth. 
go stillers!

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #74 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:51 pm »
Underground utlities...sorry ! besides the utilitiy poles nearby are probably older than you !
where abouts are you at dave?  i built a fiber line that follows 80 from dubois to hazelton.  we also did the entire rebuild for verizon in allentown.  your eastern Pa right?  my first crew was out of pottsville, i miss yuengling beer.

jackman

« Reply #75 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm »
I'm sorry that I called Jim Plunkett "ugly"... :wink:

He's no Tom Brady ( :o) but he's better looking than Payton Manning or Jeff Garcia! 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:00 pm »
Breaking news,,, it's been unoffically reported by Fox Sports that Big Ben will be suspended 4-6 games next season.  :o  I guess even with no charges filed, the big fella's guilty in the eye's of the NFL for inappropriate player conduct.  :scratch: 

Steeler fans will not like this NFL move at all,,,, or will they?

Cheers,
Robin

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #77 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm »
Steelers are in decline without Cowher. Tomlin won with Bill's team just like Gruden won with Dungy's team. When Cheatin Hines finally hangs them up, there will be a long rebuilding period. Steelers weren't going to the playoffs this coming season, with or without Ben. Jets and Ravens are out for blood.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:15 pm »
Breaking news,,, it's been unoffically reported by Fox Sports that Big Ben will be suspended 4-6 games next season.  :o  I guess even with no charges filed, the big fella's guilty in the eye's of the NFL for inappropriate player conduct.  :scratch: 

Cheers,
Robin

I've got mixed feelings about this...

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:17 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

He is going to be suspended for "x" number of games because of his pattern of inappropriate conduct.  The fact that he wasn't charged is irrelevant when  looking at the pattern of bad and/or dangerous conduct.

Goodell not only has the right to suspend Ben, but I strongly believe this is the correct thing to do for Ben and the league. 

Let's face it, if you behaved as Ben has over the last few years in a "regular" job, you wouldn't stay employed.

George