Ben Roethlisberger

decal

Re: Ben Roethlisberger
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm »
immuturity+multimillion dollar contracts=sheer stupidity

gerald porzio

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:36 pm »
Most athletes get over pampered from the moment someone discovers that they have an exploitable talent.

cujobob

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:42 pm »
Perhaps this is another case of tickling-gone-wrong.

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm »
Perhaps this is another case of tickling-gone-wrong.

Quite possibly your best post ever.  I would love to see Ben's lawyer use this as the basis for the defense.   :thumb:

twitch54

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2010, 12:17 am »
I think the NYC law is too rigid. 

utter BS....and this comes from a handgun owner of 30 plus years. The stupidity around which he shot himself proves why many people should be nowhere near guns espescially someone as mindless as him.

PhilNYC

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
utter BS....and this comes from a handgun owner of 30 plus years. The stupidity around which he shot himself proves why many people should be nowhere near guns espescially someone as mindless as him.

Then make the requirements for *getting* the registration more stringent.  Burress' gun was registered when he got the gun, but the registration had expired because he forgot to renew it.  A 3 year minimum sentence is too harsh for someone who might be stupid but had no criminal intent. 

jackman

« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:57 pm »
Then make the requirements for *getting* the registration more stringent.  Burress' gun was registered when he got the gun, but the registration had expired because he forgot to renew it.  A 3 year minimum sentence is too harsh for someone who might be stupid but had no criminal intent.

Common Phil, ignorance of the law is no defense. Plaxico is a punk and I'm glad his sorry a$$ is in the pokey, where it belongs.  He didn't care about his team or anyone else when he tucked that gun in the waistband of his pants and headed to the club.  Just another punk trying to be "gangsta" without thinking of the consequences of his actions.  He's lucky he didn't kill anyone.  He has a long history of "overlooking" laws and legal agreements.  Only difference is this one could have killed someone. 

Plaxico totally screwed the Giant's season as well as every fantasy league in the country.  He was a punk in Pittsburgh and didn't learn any lessons in the Big Apple.  Hopefully this little stay in the Grey Bar Hotel will be a learning experience.  Maybe he will realise the law isn't just something that applies to other people:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3895217

This one is my favorite.  With Burress, it's always someone else's fault: 

Burress was pulled over by Florida police on March 1, 2009 and ticketed for four separate moving violations: speeding, improper display of tags, improper lane change and for improper window tinting. [37] The charges were subsequently dismissed by a Fort Lauderdale magistrate "because the officer ... didn't supply information on how to pay the tickets."[38]

cujobob

« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2010, 07:06 pm »
I think you have some prejudice affecting your opinion of the Burress situation.  Gun laws are to be taken very seriously, though...and I don't think being lenient would have been a good idea.

However, as a celebrity with a lot of money, you attract a lot of unwanted attention...so having a weapon on you does make sense.  On the other hand, is it that difficult to renew registration?  Not really...

Society's opinion of this isn't realistic because they haven't lived in the shoes of a celebrity.  All of these cases of sexual harassment always look bad, but there's money/fame in this for the women making these claims.  It isn't as cut and dry as it would be for you or I.  Gun laws are the same...and the culture we've each been raised in is quite different.  Pro athletes are treated as though they're above the law from High School through the Pros...

A law is a law and a rule is a rule..but my point is that society creates (or helps) a lot of these poor decisions come about

gerald porzio

« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2010, 07:29 pm »
The gun was registered in Fla. NOT NYS. Like it or not, claim technicality, it doesn't matter. He broke the law & could just as easily wounded an innocent bystander. And the gun found it's way back to NJ on the person of Antonio Pierce who probably broke laws that he skated on because he helped throw Plexiglass under the DA's bus.

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 21 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm »
I think you have some prejudice affecting your opinion of the Burress situation. 

WTF?  I call them like I see them.   According to you, I'm biased but you happen agree with my "prejudiced" view of the Burress sentence?  It's good to know a prejudiced person like me and someone above it all like you can agree on something.   :scratch:

Do a little research on Burress.  This guy has been dodging the law his whole life.  Mostly small stuff, certainly nothing on par with this gun offense but to Plaxico, the law is something other people have to obey.  Perhaps if he didn't get passes his whole life it would not have come to this. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #30 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:41 pm »
Common Phil, ignorance of the law is no defense. Plaxico is a punk and I'm glad his sorry a$$ is in the pokey, where it belongs.  He didn't care about his team or anyone else when he tucked that gun in the waistband of his pants and headed to the club.  Just another punk trying to be "gangsta" without thinking of the consequences of his actions.  He's lucky he didn't kill anyone.  He has a long history of "overlooking" laws and legal agreements.  Only difference is this one could have killed someone. 

Plaxico totally screwed the Giant's season as well as every fantasy league in the country.  He was a punk in Pittsburgh and didn't learn any lessons in the Big Apple.  Hopefully this little stay in the Grey Bar Hotel will be a learning experience.  Maybe he will realise the law isn't just something that applies to other people:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3895217

This one is my favorite.  With Burress, it's always someone else's fault:

Again...I have no disagreement that he should have been punished.  My issue with NY gun laws is the rigidity in the punishment, which does not take into account things like intent.  And I do not believe that he was trying to be "gangsta"...from all accounts I've read, his teammate Steve Smith was held up at gun-point a week earlier at the front door of his home, and it prompted Burress to bring the gun because he and Pierce were going to Smith's neighborhood to pick up another teammate (Ahmad Bradshaw).  I agree that it wasn't the brightest of moves, but still not worthy, imho, of a multi-year prison sentence.

And fwiw, even though I'm a Giants fan, and he did screw up the season, that has no impact on my opinion on this.  IMHO, what Donte Stallworth did was just as bad, if not worse, from a decision-making standpoint...and obviously the result in Stallworth's case was far more severe. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2010, 12:41 am »

Btw - does this mean that you think gun laws around the country are generally no severe enough?  NYC is particularly severe and rigid in its gun possession laws relative to the rest of the country...

jackman

« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2010, 01:58 am »
Again...I have no disagreement that he should have been punished.  My issue with NY gun laws is the rigidity in the punishment, which does not take into account things like intent.  And I do not believe that he was trying to be "gangsta"...from all accounts I've read, his teammate Steve Smith was held up at gun-point a week earlier at the front door of his home, and it prompted Burress to bring the gun because he and Pierce were going to Smith's neighborhood to pick up another teammate (Ahmad Bradshaw).  I agree that it wasn't the brightest of moves, but still not worthy, imho, of a multi-year prison sentence.

And fwiw, even though I'm a Giants fan, and he did screw up the season, that has no impact on my opinion on this.  IMHO, what Donte Stallworth did was just as bad, if not worse, from a decision-making standpoint...and obviously the result in Stallworth's case was far more severe.

Thanks Phil.  I didn't know about the teammate getting held up and maybe I'm being too hard on this guy.  Also, I'm not a fan of manditory sentencing rules.  Every case is different and these rules don't allow judges to make exceptions.  It seems, however, that Plax is always  trying to skirt the laws and make excuses.  He may be paying the price for all of the guys who seem to commit crimes and walk away scott-free.  Plaxico's sentence was really harsh but in accordance with the law.  Maybe if he was actually held accountable for some of his earlier offenses it would not have come to this.  He is a guy who seemed to think he was above the law because he was a rich athlete and he found out the hard way that he wasn't. 

Several of my friends in Pittsburgh really hate this guy.  They think two years is too short and want to see a longer punishment.  I think they are biased!

Cheers,

J

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:14 am »
i bleed black and gold. 

i dont know how to feel about this.  it is a very un-Rooney like thing to do. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:26 am »
A moronic thing to do. :nono:

And I am all for Steelers fans bleeding.     :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:34 am »
Speaking of Ambassador Rooney, he might just have the heft to steer the outcome of this for his QB. Maybe he can deliver from the judge the way he delivers from the game officials.

Can anyone point to anything that isn't corrupt these days?

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #36 on: 22 Mar 2010, 02:36 am »
my listening room is in steeler colors.

/represent

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 22 Mar 2010, 03:02 am »
Thanks Phil.  I didn't know about the teammate getting held up and maybe I'm being too hard on this guy.  Also, I'm not a fan of manditory sentencing rules.  Every case is different and these rules don't allow judges to make exceptions.  It seems, however, that Plax is always  trying to skirt the laws and make excuses.  He may be paying the price for all of the guys who seem to commit crimes and walk away scott-free.  Plaxico's sentence was really harsh but in accordance with the law.  Maybe if he was actually held accountable for some of his earlier offenses it would not have come to this.  He is a guy who seemed to think he was above the law because he was a rich athlete and he found out the hard way that he wasn't. 

Several of my friends in Pittsburgh really hate this guy.  They think two years is too short and want to see a longer punishment.  I think they are biased!

Cheers,

J

The irony in all this is that Burress' wife is a lawyer... :duh:

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:48 am »
The irony in all this is that Burress' wife is a lawyer... :duh:

That's funny!  He's been sued so many times it probably just became cheaper to marry a lawyer.  I'm sure she gets lots of practice.   :thumb:

twitch54

« Reply #39 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:19 pm »
The rest of your post is your personal experience, which doesn't mean a damn thing.

Exactly, just like alot of others have expressed here, oh and btw, you will find many others who feel the same way, but I understand if you don't care

As for this...wtf does your opinion about judges have to do with Burress's sentencing?  Keep it to yourself.

sorry to have gotten your panties in a bind, calm down, pour yourself a drink, remember your mother still loves you ! ..... :D

How many drug addicts and dual-diagnosis patients (drug addiction with accompanying psychiatric diagnosis) are in jail for non-violent offenses not receiving the treatment they might need?  Want to know who I blame for that? 

I suppose me ???