Purist Preamp US In Home Audition Tour

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2003, 06:50 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
9/16  Purist has arrived  - safe and sound -into system -  sounding good !! ( Boy, this is a heavy little sucker for its size ! )  :lol:

Any impressions for us?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #41 on: 20 Sep 2003, 05:47 am »
Quote from: jqp
9/16  Purist has arrived  - safe and sound -into system -  sounding good !! ( Boy, this is a heavy little sucker for its size ! )  :lol:

Any impressions for us?
Its black with silver knobs, and heavy !!  :lol: :rotflmao:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #42 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:20 pm »
Quote from: jqp

Any impressions for us?
Its black with silver knobs, and heavy !!  :lol: :rotflmao:
Well, its black , has silver knobs,and it's 23 lbs.. ...Here are my comments ......First,thank you Curt Wishman at IRD, for the opportunity to home audition your Purist preamp! ! I found the Purist, in my system, to be an excellent value for such a LOW price ( $665.00 direct ). I signed on for the home audition out of my curiosity about the Purist and to compare it to my Audio Research SP-9 mkll preamp. What I found was an excellent build quality preamp, solid , with lots of features (four inputs, excellent volume controls, pink noise gen. - check their website ). My main source for the audition was a Phillips CD-80 cd player into ART/Dio dac.My amp is the Krell KSA - 100 mkll, speakers Mirage M-3's. IC's and SC's are Zu Cable, Warmouth and Wax (bi-wired). ( I've owned this equipement for over 15 years - still sounds good to me ! ) I could not use my TT due to the fact that there is no phono stage in the Purist. I understand that another model they will producing, the Sabai , will have a phono stage.                                     How did it sound in my system, VERY GOOD !!   :hyper: Nice detail, strong clean bass (Krell ) came thru, wide soundstage, a little forward compared to my SP-9 hybrid tube preamp, and very quiet ! I played Rock , Jazz , Classical. Each cd sounded alive, clean, quiet, detailed with excellent imaging. (Hey , can you tell I love to hear details !). No veiling of music here ! What I kept thinking was, the Purist is made in Thailand, costs $665.00, and in my system, sounds almost as good as my SP-9 (orig. list $ 3000.00 )! ! On my last audition day, I set-up my Nakamichi CR-7a cassette deck (yeah ! cassette, and I also own a Wollensak 8 track player/recorder that still works!) on a whim, to see how it sounded with cassettes. Most of my LP's are also recorded on cassette, to play in the car and to preserve the grooves. They sounded very good, not as good as cds, but still an analog type sound. All in all, IMO, the Purist was an excellent preamp! ! And for what you might pay for a pair of HIGH-END interconnects, I think it would be hard to beat ! ! ! My suggestion - TRY ONE ! ! !  :D  You'll GET more than what you'll pay for , and that's a true VALUE in my book !!!!!    8)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:26 pm »
:bawl:  The Purist has moved on to Den in Rockville, MD. I enjoyed it stay !!  :hyper:

beat

« Reply #44 on: 29 Sep 2003, 04:46 pm »
If the reviews continue like this, it looks like Curt will have alot of manufacturing to do!!  :roll:

Curt

Re: Okay, i got it!
« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2003, 06:01 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
Sorry, I've been so busy listening to music and playing with setup that I
have not been to my PC since I received the Purist!!!

It is one incredible piece of equipment!!!!!  Build quality is impeccable and the sound equals that.  I took the top off, as Curt suggested,  it looks like a $2500.00 pre.  I first tried it with my Rotel MB991, Boulder M80s and Ah 4000 with upsampler on my NorthCreek OkaraII with XO upgrades.  I could hear through the music as if there are layers.   I was using a EAD Ovation Pl ...

Thank you scottpretti for taking the time to post your comments of the Purist preamp audition. I don't know how I missed relpying to your post when you made it, but I'm very happy you enjoyed your audition.

Curt

« Reply #46 on: 29 Sep 2003, 06:10 pm »
I just updated--revised the tour schedule, in the original tour schedule post (please see page 4 of this thread).

Positions #3 & 4 have been reversed due to a request, position #6 has been canceled, and we have a new addition for position #10.

Things are going pretty smoothly  :D

Curt

« Reply #47 on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:25 pm »
Well, its black , has silver knobs,and it's 23 lbs.. ...Here are my comments ......First,thank you Curt Wishman at IRD, for the opportunity to home audition your Purist preamp! ! I found the Purist, in my system, to be an excellent value for such a LOW price ( $665.00 direct ). I signed on for the home audition out of my curiosity about the Purist and to compare it to my Audio Research SP-9 mkll preamp. What I found was an excellent build quality preamp, solid , with lots of features (four inputs, excellent ...

lonewolfny42,

Thank you for taking part in our in home audition Purist tour. And, thank you for posting your comments and impressions of your audition.

I enjoy reading about integrating our components into different systems and how it works out. I believe everyone on the tour list (and then some) enjoy the posts made after a Purist in home audition comes to an end, a nice mini review if your interested in the product.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with the Purist preamp and I hope to see you join in again if we offer an in home audition of a product that grabs your fancy.

Curt

« Reply #48 on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:33 pm »
A note on using the Purist's pink noise diagnostic function:

If you want to try Pink Noise (PN) set the gain at #1 turn the volume ALL the way down then select PN. Wait 10-15 seconds for the PN generator to stabilize before turning the volume back up. This avoids any speaker pops. PN is good for optimizing loudspeaker placement (among other things).

With an SPL meter ( a pretty good one is Protek # SL100 : $185) the pink noise diagnostic function allows basic testing of many system components in your system, including cables and room treatments. An interesting tool.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #49 on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:51 pm »
Quote from: Curt
I'd like to signup for the tour.  

Scott in Eastern, Pennsylvania.

scottpretti@rcn.com

Scott WINS the numbers game! The Purist will go to Eastern PA first.

I will have the route list after I confirm Scottt's shipment today.

Only received 5 numbers, and I thought you guys would like that lotto...
Just curious Curt, What was the number ?  :lol:

Curt

« Reply #50 on: 30 Sep 2003, 05:21 pm »
50 was the winning number.

I took the numbers turned in, added them all together then divided by how many numbers there were and came up the average. I don't remember what the average number was.

The submitted number closest to this average won and that was scottpretti who submitted 50.

scottpretti

« Reply #51 on: 30 Sep 2003, 07:46 pm »
50, it was easy.  I used my secret mathematical averaging technique.  If I told you how I did it,  I'd have to kill you..... :flame:

Well, I miss the Purist a great deal and at the moment I'm raising funds to place my order.  See... I was told I have to get rid of some of my old audio gear before I buy more.  Over the past week I listened to  Krell KCT and a Classe ( sorry can't remember the unit)  both with the Krell FPB 300 and my Ah 4000 upsample.  I can't imagine the justification for spending that much money,  thousands more, for what I heard.  Yes I did like the Krell setup, but come on, for  650.00 the Purist and my Stratos monos could give the Krell rig a good run for the money.  Curt,  I hope you still have a purist for me in a week or so.

Curt

« Reply #52 on: 30 Sep 2003, 08:20 pm »
It's boxed and set aside  :D You got all the time you need, no worries.

Now, secret mathematical averaging technique...  8)

Curt

« Reply #53 on: 1 Oct 2003, 07:09 pm »
Den in MD, you have an e-mail with the next audition address. Please reply.

Curt

« Reply #54 on: 2 Oct 2003, 05:30 pm »
It looks like the next audition may be running late. I can not contact Den in MD  :o

Perhaps he is busy with work and away from audio for the moment  :?

Curt

« Reply #55 on: 6 Oct 2003, 06:13 pm »
Tour Update: Den MD replied and said he will ship the Purist to Ernest today.

Den if you get a chance please let us know how your audition went  :D

Den

The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #56 on: 7 Oct 2003, 03:51 am »
Sorry about the lack of response.  I'm internet impaired ATM.

Elvis has left the building.  Due at Ernest's place Weds.

Sound is clean, clear, and spacious.  Lots of detail without irritation.  Beefy bass that you can chew on.  

Well done, Curt!    8)

Will the Sabai be its sonic equal?

scottpretti

« Reply #57 on: 7 Oct 2003, 02:52 pm »
To make a long story short, I sold some stuff and ordered the Purist today.  I liked the Purist so much I also ordered two MB100s.  I'll be able to see what they sound like up against the Stratos monos, I know there has been alot on this topic before.......  The Purist had such great build and sound quality for the $, how could I go wrong when powering small two ways (Northcreek OkaraII+).

Curt

« Reply #58 on: 7 Oct 2003, 05:10 pm »
To make a long story short, I sold some stuff and ordered the Purist today.  I liked the Purist so much I also ordered two MB100s.  I'll be able to see what they sound like up against the Stratos monos, I know there has been alot on this topic before.......  The Purist had such great build and sound quality for the $, how could I go wrong when powering small two ways (Northcreek OkaraII+).

Thank you Scott, Your order shipped today.

You will like the Purist with the MB-100s, they play very well together, their gains are a perfect match. With 150+W @8 ohms (music peaks >10mS) you have all the power you will ever need for just about any 2-way.

Enjoy, and please let us know how things work out.

Ernest

« Reply #59 on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:02 am »
I got the Purist yesterday.  It is a very heavy and solid looking preamp.  The knobs are oversized and very solid.  I really like how it all looks and feels.

Initial impressions of the sound:  very, very good!  It definitely does some things better than my Front-eAR.  I want to do a lot more listening, so that's all I'm saying for now.