Purist Preamp US In Home Audition Tour

jonwb

« Reply #160 on: 15 Apr 2004, 07:41 pm »
Curt,

Its OK to tell me to pound sand, but if you don't mind, I'd also like to take moment to sample the Purist.  There are two reasons for me asking, one, I'd like to see how my system sounds with a real preamp... and second, I live in Wisconsin (Milwaukee area), just south of Mequon.

Let me know...

Thanks,
Jon

Carlman

« Reply #161 on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:01 pm »
I posted a review of the Purist along with a 'buncha stuff' in the Critic's Circle.  However, it was kind of buried and thought I'd paste the review here....

The Purist will be picked up this afternoon by UPS to go to its next demo and I'm sad to say I didn't get to play with it more.  It's been busy 'round here.

Anyway, in the following review I compared 3 other preamps as well  The other 3 had their own character.  The Purist didn't color the sound with 'tubeyness', warmth, or other toning effects.  It was not dry or wet however very musical.  It revealed my sources best of the group.

Here's the actual review and the pertinent excerpts follow:
Preamps:
Biggest surprise of the bunch: Purist. It sounds so incredibly neutral. It is exactly the definition of what a preamp should do/be. It gets out of the way and lets the music play. The sound is clean, soundstage is tightly focused, and accuracy is dead-on. It lets the sources sound like they sound.

The next one I heard was the Philly 7a with a tube compliment of an English 6x4, French 12AU7 and 2 Russian 6922's. If it had a couple more it'd be the 'U.N.' pre. However, world peace has been achieved with this combination as it produces what sounds very close to real, live amplified music. It sounds like you're at the show. It doesn't sound like everyone is in your room but it's close. It's like everyone's in your room but are mic'ed. There is a slight bit of microphonics with this tube compliment but there's no ringing, and it's the quietest tube pre I've ever heard. The stock tubes were awful. Ringing, microphonic... to the point of getting feedback. Maybe one had gone bad? I don't know.

Then, there was ol' reliable Mr. EE Minimax w/ some NOS tubes rolled in. I was using the Tungsol 6x4 w/ side-getter, a E80CC and a Raytheon 5814. Beautifully warm yet accurate presentation. This preamp excels in musicality and palpability making it an all-time favorite. The Mini with the Scott Nixons was eerily palpable. Oh so sweet with a deep soundstage and vocals and instruments that lept out at you. Wow.

Oh, and the ZTPre... It's sort of a mix of all of the above. It's not as lively as the Mini or the Philly. The sound is more tubey and smoother than the Purist. The ZT is very quiet and effortless sounding. Plus it's adjustable. The ZT is a solid preamp sonically. It's tough to beat, it does nothing wrong but at the same time has no major 'wow' factor.

The only reason the Purist wow'ed me was because it's new to me, and I was expecting it to sound more solid state-ish than it did. So, I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded excellent and I can't fault it in any way.

Curt

« Reply #162 on: 16 Apr 2004, 03:11 pm »
Sorry guys, The tour list has been closed.  

Jason; Foodman300; and Ron are the last three auditions in this tour.

Perhaps next time, Thank you for your interest.

Curt

« Reply #163 on: 16 Apr 2004, 03:19 pm »
Carlman,

Thank you for your glowing Purist review and for taking part in our tour.

I agree that the Purist is extremely transparent, it works best with high quality sources that don't need to be compensated for.

If one likes the tube sound an external DAC w/tube(s) helps add that sound and still keeps all the Purists strengths in the system.

Thank you again for your time.

randog

« Reply #164 on: 16 Apr 2004, 04:22 pm »
My Review:

I bought one.  :D

jonwb

« Reply #165 on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:35 am »
Quote from: Curt

So close (literally) and yet so far...  :cry:

Guess I'll have to wait for the tour of the Sabai.   8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #166 on: 17 Apr 2004, 03:27 am »
Quote from: jonwb
Quote from: Curt

So close (literally) and yet so far...  :cry:

Guess I'll have to wait for the tour of the Sabai.   8)
Maybe another Purist owner can loan you their pre-amp to use for an audition. I've heard other members do this...... :)

Curt

« Reply #167 on: 17 May 2004, 02:35 pm »
Heads-up Foodman300, the Purist is on the FedEx truck for delivery to your ship-to sometime today.

Please email me after you get it up and running. Enjoy.

Curt

« Reply #168 on: 21 May 2004, 04:43 pm »
Foodman300, how is your Purist audition going?

Carlman

« Reply #169 on: 21 May 2004, 06:29 pm »
delete... oopsy

Carlman

« Reply #170 on: 21 May 2004, 06:30 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Maybe another Purist owner can loan you their pre-amp to use for an audition. I've heard other members do this...... :)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Who would something so crazy :?: Loanwolf?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #171 on: 22 May 2004, 04:21 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Quote from: lonewolfny42

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Who would something so crazy :?: Loanwolf?
Hey Carl...who you calling crazy  ?? :lol:
    Curt, any news on the Sabai ? The first quarter of 2004
is over. Thanks !! :) [/list:u]