Purist Preamp US In Home Audition Tour

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2003, 01:24 am »
Looks interesting - one week should be good !  Mineola (Long Island) , NY. Thanks !!  :D

Curt

« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2003, 08:24 pm »
Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. We got quite a few new tour sign ups.

I had fun over the holiday, I worked on the MB-250 prototype, got some brand new (just became available as engineering samples) output transistors designed in, well... designed in for a listen anyway. These are really hot, the best bi-polars I have seen (spec wise, very linear) so far, I hope they sound good, they will be available in production quantities by September. They are made for low distortion audio amps and use the latest technology.

The prototype amp has a freq response of 5-160kHz (I have it limited), a SR of 60V/uS, power = 125/250W @ 8/4 ohms, AND it can dump 45A (at full power) within the output stages SOA. Now that's a step in the right direction, I can't wait to hear it, the transistors will be here by Friday.

The Purist tour:

I have copied all the AC names, cities and states, and will attempt to connect the dots in an efficient shipping way. I have 17 people on the list, a couple were requests via e-mail.

This will be a 17 week tour, one week for each audition. I want to be fair about who has first audition, so I'm thinking when you e-mail me (need your address to communicate tour details) you can pick a number from 0-100, whoever gets closest to the 17 numbers added together then divided by 17 will get the Purist first. Does that sound fair? This way I don't have to pick a number and you can all confirm later that draw was honest.

People who want an audition but do not want to buy a Purist (maybe want an Audiophile or Sabai) should be at the end of the list. That seems fair since the other guys actually are considering a Purist purchase. I hope everyone agrees.

Please e-mail me [ curt@ird-thailand ] your full name, shipping address with zip code, a number from 0-100, and the e-mail address where you want me to send the tour details. We can get started as soon as I receive all 17 e-mails.

I'm trying to keep this simple, how am I doing?

Any questions or suggestions please post your thoughts.

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2003, 01:39 am »
Sounds good Curt.  but I don't like the wait if I am also considering the Sabai...I understand though.  :|

Curt

« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2003, 06:47 pm »
The Purist has arrived and is on the loading dock ready to ship. We double boxed it for extra protection on the tour.

I'm still waiting for more e-mails, only received six so far. As soon as I have all I will do the numbers thing and ship that same day.

If the e-mails don't come today I will post tomorrow who needs to reply from AC. I would like to ship the Purist before Friday  :D

Curt

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2003, 08:43 pm »
I still need: jqp; gonefishin; dogberry; JeromeS; nature boy; and nathanm to e-mail me < curt@ird-thailand.com > the number they picked between 0 and 100 (unless they changed their minds about the audition).

Once I get their e-mails and determine the winner, we can send the Purist on it's way to the first audition.

I will set the deadline for tomorrow, then I will just choose from who has e-mailed. If there is 12 I will add the 12 numbers and divide by 12 etc.

I will try to ship tomorrow.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2003, 08:59 pm »
hope I made it - just saw this - is it Friday in Thailand?   :o

Curt

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2003, 10:00 pm »
The deadline is Friday in the US.

Those interested who miss the deadline can always be tagged on later.

Curt

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2003, 04:41 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
I'd like to signup for the tour.  

Scott in Eastern, Pennsylvania.

scottpretti@rcn.com

Scott WINS the numbers game! The Purist will go to Eastern PA first.

I will have the route list after I confirm Scottt's shipment today.

Only received 5 numbers, and I thought you guys would like that lotto...

gonefishin

« Reply #28 on: 5 Sep 2003, 07:34 pm »
I tried to e-mail you a couple time...but I kept getting Permanent Failure: Bad destination system address

dunno

Curt

« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2003, 07:53 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
I tried to e-mail you a couple time...but I kept getting Permanent Failure: Bad destination system address

dunno

That's strange...

I just tested my e-mail link above and it's working fine now. Our servers (have three websites) are all in the States and we never have had any problems before.

Perhaps you have a typeO in my address, please try the link above and you should get right through.

No problem though, I got you on the list, you only missed out on the number game for first audition.

I'll be posting more details about the tour route tomorrow.

Curt

« Reply #30 on: 8 Sep 2003, 06:13 pm »
Everyone that signed up for an audition should have received a Purist US tour e-mail update today.

Except... : dogberry, JeromeS, and nature boy who have not sent me an e-mail yet with their name, e-mail address, and ship to address. As soon as I receive that information I will send you the tour update information and finish planning the tour route.

The scottpretti audition will end on Wednesday the 17th, so anyone that is interest in an in home audition that has not e-mailed me their name, e-mail address, and ship to address please do so within the next couple of days so I can work the schedule out and post it. Thanks.

Mad DOg

« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2003, 07:29 am »
is it too late to get in on the purist audition? i'm in Los Angeles...

scottpretti

Okay, i got it!
« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2003, 07:20 pm »
Sorry, I've been so busy listening to music and playing with setup that I
have not been to my PC since I received the Purist!!!

It is one incredible piece of equipment!!!!!  Build quality is impeccable and the sound equals that.  I took the top off, as Curt suggested,  it looks like a $2500.00 pre.  I first tried it with my Rotel MB991, Boulder M80s and Ah 4000 with upsampler on my NorthCreek OkaraII with XO upgrades.  I could hear through the music as if there are layers.   I was using a EAD Ovation Plus (retail $6000)  pre/pro before... WOW what a difference, the Purist just seems to get out of the way of what's coming from the speakers.  

Next up, same setup as above but with Stratos monos in for a workout.   I thought the Stratos had great control over the drivers in my speakers, with the Purist inline, it's scary how much more the amp seems to control the OkaraII's.  I knew this was a great speaker, but have never heard them this fluid and musical.  

Lastly I hooked up the Adire 281's with monos, Purist, and Ah4000.  Again, I've never heard the 281 sound this well!!!  I almost can not believe that this $650 unit lets me hear more of the nuances of recordings then my EAD Ovation+.  

Have to get back to the Purist,  If you have been on the fence with this pre, the audition will tip you toward IRD.  Sorry, I'm going to keep this one. No more auditions :D  :D  :D

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2003, 08:36 pm »
When do I get to play with it  :bounce:

Curt

« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
is it too late to get in on the purist audition? i'm in Los Angeles...

Nope, not too late. E-mail me your name, e-mail address, and ship-to address and I will be happy to put you on the list.

Curt

« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:12 pm »
Quote from: jqp
When do I get to play with it  :bounce:

I still got a few people that haven't e-mailed their info. As soon as I receive everyones information I will post the tour schedule.

Curt

« Reply #36 on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:47 am »
Purist preamp US Tour Schedule
(UPDATED as REQURIED)

-----> Completed audition: 1) scottpretti > PA
-----> Completed audition: 2) lonewolfny42 > NY
-----> Completed audition: 3) Den > MD
-----> Completed audition: 4) Ernest > PA (added 24 Sep)
-----> Canceled: 5)
-----> Canceled: 6)
-----> Completed audition: 7) jlupine > IL
-----> Completed audition: 8 ) MaxCast > MI
-----> Completed audition: 9) nathanm > WI
-----> Completed audition: 10) Brian > WI (added 30 Sep)
-----> Completed audition: 19) jqp > NC (was moved up)
-----> Completed audition: 13) dogberry > CA
11) ptn > OR (traveling may reschedule)
-----> Completed audition: 14) JeromeS > CA
-----> Completed audition: 15) skchow > CA
-----> Completed audition: 16) Mad DOg > CA
-----> Completed audition: 12) randog > CA
-----> Completed audition: 17) beat > NM
-----> Completed audition: 18 ) Juan > LA
-----> Completed audition: 20) Tom > NC
-----> Completed audition: 21) carlman > NC
-----> Completed audition: 23) Clint > IL
-----> Completed audition: 22) Jason > PA

-----> Current audition: 24) FOODMAN300 > WI

25) Ron > TX

This is the order that made sense, any comments will be welcomed and can be discussed.

The e-mail needs to give your name, e-mail address, and ship-to address with zip. Please e-mail that info here -> curt@ird-thailand.com

Any one who I don't hear from, before their turn comes up, I will assume they changed their mind and they will be taken off the list.

The tour seems to be working out pretty good so far, maybe it would be a good idea to offer a audition tour for all our new products.

Everyone at IRD audio thanks you for your interest in our audio components  :D

dogberry

« Reply #37 on: 15 Sep 2003, 03:20 pm »
Sounds great, Curt.  I can't wait.   :D

I think it would be a great idea if more vendors had these tours.  I look forward to comparing everyone's reviews.

Curt

« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2003, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: dogberry
Sounds great, Curt.  I can't wait.   :D

I think it would be a great idea if more vendors had these tours.  I look forward to comparing everyone's reviews.

I'm looking forward to the feedback also. The Purist will play for a lot of ears this trip, in a lot of diferent systems, systems the owners know well. I hope everyone will post a little something about the gear used for the audition and what the Purist preamp does when put in the auditioner's system. The reports should be interesting.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2003, 05:17 am »
9/16  Purist has arrived  - safe and sound -into system -  sounding good !! ( Boy, this is a heavy little sucker for its size ! )  :lol: