Eighth Nerve Adapt Room Treatment

JCC

It's time to end the conversation
« Reply #80 on: 28 May 2005, 03:50 am »
There are those who use the tactic of loud repetition under the false assumption that this will somehow change reality and make them the winner.

It has reached a point where minds are set and closed. No demonstration or argument will change opinions.  

Nathan thanks for advancing the science, and thanks for the great product. I am thrilled with the results, and highly recommend your new Adapt line.

8thnerve

Re: Ambient Sound
« Reply #81 on: 28 May 2005, 03:18 pm »
John,

You are simply repeating what you have been saying over and over, and refuse to listen to what I am saying.  I don't see how this is a discussion.  I give you a reason why I believe what I do, and you say the same thing you have said 5 posts in a row that does nothing to address what I have said.  As JCC said, saying it loud over and over doesn't make it any more convincing.  You theories are not your's at all.  It is the same logical but incorrect information that audiophiles and hi-fi dealers have been saying for decades.

Quote from: John Casler
I take it you are measuring a test tone at the listening position and "summing" both direct and reflected HF info.

No, you just don't get it.  There is no test equipment that can accurately seperate a direct wave from the reflections at any but a few very high frequencies.  In the time between the "direct wave" and the first, second, third reflection and so forth, there is not enough time to even CREATE a midrange or bass tone, based on how long the cycle of that frequency is.  If you are familiar with the Nyquist Theory, this is why we sample CDs at 44,000 Hz., because that is the frequency necessary to capture a 22 KHz wave.  You are simply not thinking about the speed of sound waves accurately.  Sound is not like light bouncing around.  Even the concept of a wave front having a direct wave and then multiple reflections is not very useful, as all the air in the room is excited at a certain frequency at a time, not tons of different frequencies that are travelling behind one another.  Sound moves too fast for that.  By the time the next frequency is being manifested, the first frequency is already declining into the background as it has bounced around in the room hundreds of times (based on the frequency and the duration of it's tone).  This is even oversimplified as we don't hear one frequency and then another, we hear waves (not one wave like an ocean) with many frequencies riding along on top of one another which exist in the room AS A WHOLE which we then percieve.  Sounds are not wave fronts, wave fronts are just the beginning of the sounds we hear, the sounds are the continued waves that pulse around us until they decay.  That is what we hear.  WE DO NOT HEAR INDIVIDUAL WAVEFRONTS!!!!

I don't know how I can be more clear.  You are welcome to disagree.  The thing is, you have NO personal research that can begin to prove that any human can hear an individual wave front, and it is illogical to assume so.

And as I have said again and again, your OBSERVATIONS are simply that, observations.  I am giving you scientific proofs (whether they are right or not, they are logical scientific arguments) as to the reasoning behind your observations.  You are not, you are simply guessing based on what everyone has told you and everyone else for the last 5 decades, and giving no scientific or even logical arguments for why your line of thinking could possibly be correct.

I hope that others have learned some interesting possibilities regarding the behaviour of sound.  Some people will oppose any change in their thinking based on their personal investment in their own theories.  I have changed my thinking radically over the last 3 years and it has led to the development of these new products.  I look forward to how different my thinking will be 2 years from now.

Thank you for listening,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve

John Casler

Re: Ambient Sound
« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2005, 05:35 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve
John,

You are simply repeating what you have been saying over and over, and refuse to listen to what I am saying.  I don't see how this is a discussion.  I give you a reason why I believe what I do, and you say the same thing you have said 5 posts in a row that does nothing to address what I have said.  As JCC said, saying it loud over and over doesn't make it any more convincing.  You theories are not your's at all.  It is the same logical but incorrect information that audiophiles and hi-fi dealers hav ...

Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure why you have interpreted my questions and suggestions as "loud".

Also, I am not sure why you don't think I am listening to you.  

I am, and very intently.  I have great respect for your knowledge and products, but you have yet to answer my questions sufficiently.

You, state:

No, you just don't get it. There is no test equipment that can accurately seperate a direct wave from the reflections at any but a few very high frequencies. In the time between the "direct wave" and the first, second, third reflection and so forth, there is not enough time to even CREATE a midrange or bass tone, based on how long the cycle of that frequency is.

I am not sure what I don't get here.  I never said new tones are created.

I said reflected sound is "distortion" of the original sound, and make it less than accurate.  While you may argue that the distortion is imperceptable, there are thousands who treat 1st reflections, and hear the differences everyday.

Additionally, you state that reducing reflection "attenuates" specific frequencies.  This seems to be one of the chief areas of contention.

If it attenuates by removing it, then that means you are summing the two signal sources (direct and reflected)

So I agree if you run a test tone and measure that frequency at the listening area, and add or subtract reflected sound you will see an attenuation in the direct versus the summed.

However, in music where we have microdynamics, there is a specific time that the ear brain interprets both the timing dynamic, and the directional cues of that sound.  I think (or should I say have heard) there are distinct and repeatable differences between treatment and not treating, various room surfaces.  Even having a coffee table, with very little angular incidence in front of you between the speaker, will both blur the sonic and "pull" the directional perception of that sound.  Same with projection TVs.  I can't imagine you telling someone that the reflections from a RPTV will not negatively impact the soundstage and imaging of a system when it is used in 2 channel.

Even the concept of a wave front having a direct wave and then multiple reflections is not very useful, as all the air in the room is excited at a certain frequency at a time, not tons of different frequencies that are travelling behind one another. Sound moves too fast for that. By the time the next frequency is being manifested, the first frequency is already declining into the background as it has bounced around in the room hundreds of times (based on the frequency and the duration of it's tone).  

Sound is perceived on a moment by moment basis, based on the frequencies available to the ear/brain.  If we take the "room" out of the equation, by using headphones, there is little doubt that clairty and detail, as well as micro and macro dynamics improve.

I do not dispute that sound in a room excites all the air in the room but your ears are the only area that is important to perceiving that sound.  They only hear what the pinna collects.

Acoustic products, by there very nature, are designed to "control" the damage, and distortion done by the sound energy that "doesn't" go directly to the ear, on a direct route from the speaker.

In the outdoors, a sound originates and travels outward.  We hear it, and if nothing is there to reflect it, we never hear it again.  In a room, it does not leave immediatley and its remants are perceivable and damaging in some instances.

We are on the same page here.

I think the reason this conversation continues is that you are telling me that these "room" created sounds aren't harmful, yet I can clearly hear that they are.

Then you tell me that I don't hear these differences for the "reason" I think I hear them, and while I doubt that, I can accept it.  But the fact remains, greater accuracy is achieved and there are differnces in accuracy the more we take room sound away.

You mention that while other frequencies are being produced,
the first frequency is already declining into the background as it has bounced around in the room hundreds of times (based on the frequency and the duration of it's tone).

Exactly and "this" energy can be perceived and damages the new sound, at our ears.

I don't know how I can be more clear. You are welcome to disagree. The thing is, you have NO personal research that can begin to prove that any human can hear an individual wave front, and it is illogical to assume so.

I don't quite understand what this means?  The ear/brain perceives what it is exposed to, in total.  If it is given a rather pure sound sample, it will hear that, if it is given a mixture of direct and reflected it will hear that.

It might be that you don't provide for the difference between the environment of "reproducing" a recorded event, and actually being present in the environment of a live event.

In a Live Music environment, your suggestions are 100% correct.

In a reproduction environment they are not.

Is this possible?  Are you treating a performance environment the same as a reproduction environment for that would certainly explain our differences.

And as I have said again and again, your OBSERVATIONS are simply that, observations. I am giving you scientific proofs (whether they are right or not, they are logical scientific arguments) as to the reasoning behind your observations.  

Observations are very strong in that they are based in reality.  Science is too.  The two are not exclusive to one another.  Science is only accurate if applied accurately.  Observations are only accurate if "understood".

You are not, you are simply guessing based on what everyone has told you and everyone else for the last 5 decades, and giving no scientific or even logical arguments for why your line of thinking could possibly be correct.

While this is a little condecending, I understand your frustration.

I guess you can assert that I do not know what I am talking about and that I am parroting some audiolore from the dark ages, but I am not.

I have no idea of your sophistication as an audiophile.  I have no idea of you abilities to discern differences between speakers, components, and the set up of such to acheive maximum potential.

In order for you to understand, it is important that you have these types of experiences.

I find my "logic" flawless.  If you want to hear what happened at the original recording, you don't "add" or allow anthing to be added.

How can I make that any more clear or logical.

I think most of those who are into Serious Listening with preferences to accurate and lifelike reproduction, would question, your suggestion to "not" treat first reflections, and I think you once even suggested minimal treating of the front (center) wall.  

I would also think that it is easy for most to see that acoustic treatment is "combating" room created distortions so we agree there are some that need addressing.

Additionally it seems difficult to understand how "reflections" of any kind can help a critical listener enjoy accuracy, in a "reproduction environment".

So here we are.  Since this thread is well read, I feel obligated to repost that for most intent and purposes, Nathan and I agree on room treatment and its need for the best sound.

I think it is also important to re-state that I feel the Eighth Nerve Products represent "extreme" value and should be considered at least the minimum treatment, or maybe the "primary" treatment, when and where applicable.

Just because we may disagree on the extent or effectiveness or even the methods to be used to "further" treat a room does not take away from the product that started this thread.

From my awarness, I think it addresses with effectiveness, some of the most "ugly" of the room interaction problems.

My tenacity of viewpoint, is not motivated by any gain (since I don't deal in acoustic treatment), but more an extreme interest at finding truth, performance, and "stimulating" interest, in what I consider a component that should receive equal consideration in assembling a "high performance audio" system, and that is the listening room itself.

8thnerve

« Reply #83 on: 30 May 2005, 04:09 pm »
John,

I hope we get a chance to sit down and chat about this sometime.  I am not making my point very clear I can see, and it is a radical concept that I am suggesting, although the numbers do support it.

Let me say definitively, that I do not believe that reflections add any accuracy to the reproduction.  Let me also say that I do not believe that reducing the reflections increases the accuracy of the reproduction.  Confused?

What I have been trying to say is that reflections are inexorably entwined with the direct signal, and should not be considered to be inaccurate in any way.  If your sweetheart blows in your ear, the instant you feel the air is the "direct wave".  Simply because you continue to feel the air does not make that first contact any less correct, it is just the first part of a greater whole.

Your logical argument is not incorrect, the technical basis on which it rests is what I am disagreeing with.

I am sorry that I am unable at this time to articulate it more elegantly.  As I work on the technical papers, perhaps with my editor we will be able to find a way to make it more clear.

Thanks for the spirited if also sometimes frustrating discussion and I will continue to share more information when I can refine it into a digestible state.

Best Regards,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve

John Casler

« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2005, 05:36 pm »
Nathan,

What you just said is a beautiful synopsis.  

And just so you know, (and anyone who might have gotten the wrong idea) in Acoustics, I support all the sevices and products you offer.

You are one of the leaders, in what I hope will be an area that gets more attention in the future.

I hope you don't mind my commnents since they are only offered with good intentions, and curiosity.

The actual futility of "trying" to get the most accurate sound, should be recognized, since there are so many links in the chain until it gets to your ears.

The other futility is to spend mega bucks on .000% distortions and +-0 FRs and not put them in an environment that can allow them to "do their thing".

Much like buying a Formula One race machine and driving it to the grocery store.  Your room and the way it is treated is your "High Perfromance Listening" Race Track. :mrgreen:

JCC

[size=18]If Only They Could Hear the Result[/size]
« Reply #85 on: 31 May 2005, 11:31 am »
It's a shame that any who doubt, cannot hear the results of this product. Every evening, when I listen and rediscover my recordings, I am more and more amazed at the level of improvement. The results are fantastic.

tbabb

« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2005, 07:48 pm »
I've installed the 8th Nerve Adapt and Response line products in my 2-channel listening room and have been listening to the setup for a few days now.  

While it's early yet in my evaluation, and I've yet to really sit down for some critical listening, I'm pretty pleased with the sound change the 8th Nerve product has produced.  Overall I'd say the music is more relaxed, and more enjoyable to listen to.

The real test for me, will be to remove the product and see if I can tolerate the music afterwards.  

No Disc

JCC

Rendezvous
« Reply #87 on: 15 Jun 2005, 03:42 pm »
When I first wrote the leadin review to this thread I had done a lot of research on the Jerome Harris recording "Rendezvous." At that time I sent Jerome an email and just received reply from him. I thought that you might be interested in Jeromes comments:

My email to Jerome was as follows:

I have been listening to your fabulous Rendezvous CD for multiple years. I was already very impressed with the cymbals and drum. Recently I added acoustic room treatment, and now notice things on the opening number Decision Point that I had never heard before. The opening cymbals start on the right, and then move to the center and then to the left of sound stage. The horns are much sweeter than the were before, because my room distortion has been removed.   I was wondering about the cymbals, and the sound stage. Is the Decision Point cut intended to have them move from right to left?  

I am sure that you have heard this before, but this is one outstanding recording. It takes great equipment and a great room to hear it properly, but I am mighty impressed.

Jeromes Reply follows:

I must apologize for how long it's taken me to reply; suffice to say that I've been deluged with things to attend to.

Re: the cymbals in the sound stage, no cymbals were moved once the drum kit was set up; nor was any panning of drum mikes done during the mixing or mastering. What you are hearing is Billy Drummond playing on his various cymbals, which are placed across the sound stage in a manner that's common in jazz recording (some people suggest that, when hearing a jazz group live, the drums don't take up as much actual stage width as most recordings suggest; while true from an absolutist perspective, the "lopsided" sonic character of having most of the percussive sounds coming from a relatively narrow part of the recorded sound stage can be annoying in my experience. I have no problem with separating the drums a bit across the sound stage, as long as that doesn't result in "ping-pong" drum sounds).

It's typical for drummers to use one cymbal for "ride" beats and a different one for crashes; Billy's two main cymbals follow this practice, although the specific ones he chose sound good as either ride or crash, thus allowing the variety of alternate choices (this is not uncommon in jazz drumming); he also had the usual "hi hat" cymbals, and I think he also had another crash with rivets for a "sizzle" timbre. In the opening of "Decision Point" he plays each of them.

Thanks for your listening, and for your kind words.

Jerome Harris