Really cheap ($50) ES9023 USB dacs

persisting1

Re: Really cheap ($50) ES9023 USB dacs
« Reply #40 on: 5 Nov 2012, 06:14 am »

From the Audioquest website:
"DragonFly’s high-resolution analog volume control carries out the instructions in the analog domain for the best sound quality."

And from the DragonFly brochure:
"DragonFly can be used in ‘variable’ output mode with computer-controlled analog volume control when connected directly to powered speakers or a power amplifier."

and

"Even when the iTunes volume slider is used, DragonFly’s high-resolution analog volume control carries out the instructions in the analog domain for the best sound quality."

So even though it does not have a physical potentiometer on the USB dongle, it appears it does at least have a digitally-controlled analog volume control, albeit controlled by software.

Steve

I did mention this in my post, but OP asked for hardware controls.

Their take on it does seem interesting though. Sure has peaked my interest.

navi

« Reply #41 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:00 am »
I just tried it with Pure music and it sounds a lot better. Must be my music collection on itunes with multiple sampling rates.... or iTunes?

randytsuch

« Reply #42 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:37 am »
I just tried it with Pure music and it sounds a lot better. Must be my music collection on itunes with multiple sampling rates.... or iTunes?

Interesting, wonder why?  I didn't use itunes, I was using foobar and some of the internet streaming services.

Did you ever get the USB ISO thing?  I am planning to buy some stuff from Mouser and plan to include in my order.

navi

« Reply #43 on: 7 Nov 2012, 10:31 am »
Interesting, wonder why?  I didn't use itunes, I was using foobar and some of the internet streaming services.

Did you ever get the USB ISO thing?  I am planning to buy some stuff from Mouser and plan to include in my order.

I ordered my USB isolator on ebay. Should come to me next week. i'll give a review then. (the review will be a yes or no)

navi

« Reply #44 on: 14 Nov 2012, 08:35 am »
USB Isolator off ebay came in today. It works.
Noise from my computer to Amp is gone.
I tried  it with:
Headphones> hifimeDIY DAC> MacPro
Headphones> hifimeDIY DAC> USB isolator>MacPro
The sound is more open with it. vocals and instruments spread out a lot more.
Worth the $30-40  (including shipping) I paid for it.

Ivan.

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:39 am »
USB Isolator off ebay came in today. It works.

Was that from A&B systems? Having trouble finding them right now...

Ta :)

persisting1

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:38 am »
seems there are better values to be had.

Could you provide examples?

randytsuch

« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:26 pm »
Adding the isolator doubles the price, but how many usb dacs are out there for $100?

BTW, you can buy a kit from these guys for less for the DIY inclined
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/usb/usb-isolator

I actually just ordered one because I thought it might be easier to work with, and they include a schematic.

Another one that looks interesting
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63

This one would be good if you don't want to make your own USB power supply.  They have a small linear reg on it which I would expect to sound better than the buck converter that circuits at home uses.

navi

« Reply #50 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:22 am »
Another one that looks interesting
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63

This one would be good if you don't want to make your own USB power supply.  They have a small linear reg on it which I would expect to sound better than the buck converter that circuits at home uses.

D'oh!!! this would have been nice before i ordered mine.

randytsuch

« Reply #51 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:09 am »
D'oh!!! this would have been nice before i ordered mine.

Sorry, if it helps I bought an Olimex too.
A guy posted about this other one a couple of days ago at diyaudio

persisting1

« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:18 am »
Could you provide examples?

It would have to be the used market of course, but there's an ODAC for sale here for $90. Never heard one, but it gets good reviews.

How about a used HRT Steamer or Streamer II? I've been told the French tda1543 DAC sold on ebay is a good buy too.

randytsuch

« Reply #53 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:55 pm »
It would have to be the used market of course, but there's an ODAC for sale here for $90. Never heard one, but it gets good reviews.

How about a used HRT Steamer or Streamer II? I've been told the French tda1543 DAC sold on ebay is a good buy too.

That ODAC is just a board, you need to buy a case and a few other pieces.

You can buy all the parts for an ODAC, including the assembled board for around $130, and it would be pretty simple to put it together.

But an ODAC, is pretty similar to my $50 dac, it uses the same 9023 DAC and the same Tenor USB receiver.  I also read somewhere that the ODAC was a little better, but it was a small difference.

I would guess (don't have a ODAC either) that the ODAC will run into the same type of problem running from dirty USB power and noise from the PC, and that those factors will limit it's performance.  I think the ODAC implementation is probably better, with seperate voltage regs for the two devices.

And I would consider used apples to oranges, but maybe that it's just my opinion.  In real life, I don't expect to find the hifimediy dac used, not really worth selling.

persisting1

« Reply #54 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:37 pm »
And I would consider used apples to oranges, but maybe that it's just my opinion.  In real life, I don't expect to find the hifimediy dac used, not really worth selling.

Not worth selling because you like it or it's not worth the hassle?

randytsuch

« Reply #55 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:45 pm »
Not worth selling because you like it or it's not worth the hassle?

Because it only costs $50 new, so how much could you sell it used for, maybe $30?
For $30 its not worth selling to me.

And I do like mine, so I have no intention of selling it.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply the ODAC is bad, I'm sure it's good based on what I've heard.  It's just I think it will run into a limitation because of the USB bus powered aspect.

Adding a usb isolator will allow me to not be USB bus powerwed, but it starts getting into DIY stuff.

persisting1

« Reply #56 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:53 am »
BTW, I didn't mean to imply the ODAC is bad, I'm sure it's good based on what I've heard.  It's just I think it will run into a limitation because of the USB bus powered aspect.

Don't worry, I understood what you meant  :thumb:

I'm glad you're enjoying your DAC.

JohnR

« Reply #57 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:52 am »
I've been told the French tda1543 DAC sold on ebay is a good buy too.

The TDA1543 DAC doesn't have USB input... anyway I had one and sold it.

persisting1

« Reply #58 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:59 am »
The TDA1543 DAC doesn't have USB input... anyway I had one and sold it.

Good to know, thank you JohnR.

navi

« Reply #59 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:13 am »
I will try the ODAC and Stoner acoustics one day and see how they compare to this one.