Who do you like on trumpet?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Who do you like on trumpet?
« on: 5 Nov 2010, 07:30 pm »
Plenty of great trumpet players over the years, but who just knocks you out?

Wynton Marsalis said that Louis Armstrong defined the sound of the modern trumpet. That sound was the model until Miles changed it with his harmon mute and cool style. We have albums of both and everything in between.

I must admit, I have a lot of trouble picking just one. So I'll start things off by saying Woody Shaw. He was a great player, a consistently hard swinger and excellent improviser.

What say ye?
neo

baumer

Re: Who do you like on trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2010, 07:43 pm »
Chet Baker. Maybe he wasn't the most innovative or groundbreaking, but man, he knew how to get
feeling out of that thing!

StereoNut

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2010, 08:42 pm »
Besides who's already been mentioned, Clifford Brown and Blue Mitchell are two favorites of mine.   Someone else who is a really excellent trumpeter (and trombonist) but doesn't get much respect at all is Louie Prima.

As far as Louis Armstrong goes, I almost like his vocals better than his trumpet playing!

SN

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2010, 08:52 pm »
Someone else who is a really excellent trumpeter (and trombonist) but doesn't get much respect at all is Louie Prima.

Louis Prima.

Harry "Sweets" Edison, nicknamed "Sweets" because of his sweet trumpet tone.

Steve

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:07 pm »
Here's a shout out to some living, working trumpeters who deserve some attention:  Tom Harrell, Nicholas Payton, and Tomasz Stanko.  Buy some of their music, they need your support to make a living.  :)

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:21 pm »
Ray Anthony,check out the intro sound of the movie The Incredible Shrinking Man.Also the sound track of Uncle Joe Shannon,staring Burt Young from Rocky who portrays a down and out trumpeter.Maynard Ferguson plays  all the trumpet work on the record,which is my favorite album.....Mark Korda

jazdoc

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm »
It starts and ends with Louis Armstrong  :thumb:

A few favorites include:

Miles Davis
Freddie Hubbard
Lee Morgan
Clark Terry

CSI

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:32 pm »
Chet Baker for sure. He got famous for his jazz singing but musicians (including Miles Davis) recognized that his singing was really an extension of his trumpet playing, which was superb.

mdfoy

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:34 pm »
Clifford Brown
Miles Davis
Wallace Roney
Thomasz Stanko
Enrico Rava
Sean Jones

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2010, 10:22 pm »
Miles, Lee, Freddie, Woody Shaw, Kenny Dorham, Wynton, Blue, Carmel Jones, Hino, etc, etc.

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm »
Add Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham, Louis Armstrong to this list!

Clifford Brown
Miles Davis
Wallace Roney
Thomasz Stanko
Enrico Rava
Sean Jones

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm »
Miles goes w/o saying, but I only recently discovered Lee Morgan, who in turn learned his craft from one L. Armstrong.

jazzcourier

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:21 pm »
Very recently listening to some nice sessions with the late Harry Beckett.He died this last July at 75 and spent many years since the early 60's as one of the great British brass masters on both the trumpet and flugelhorn.Some great work with Graham Collier and Johnny Dyanni,an exceptional South African bassist who is also gone.
    Just so many great trumpet players so i will give a nod to Warren Vache on Cornet,among the living and the great Art Farmer who picked the flugel as his final pathway to expression.
     Of course it is all Louis,forever and ever,especially "Laughin' Louie" on Victor and "My sweet" on Decca both from the 30's."Satch plays fats" on Columbia with the early tape overdubs where he plays and sings at the same time.
         At the end of the day it is Roy Eldridge doing "After you've gone" from the 30's once you hear that you are ready for Dizzy and " A Night in Tunisia".
       Also,among the active and worth noting is John Marshall,living in Europe and putting out his own cd's of wonderfully inventive revisionist hard Bop.Nothing new but a name that deserves to be on any list of good living players.Some nice recent work with Tardo Hammer and Grant Stewart.
       As always the best music is so often the least known and the hardest to find.
This makes the journey even more rewarding at the end of the day.
If i see another list with "Kind of Blue" on it i think i am going to scream,or take up the trumpet.

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm »
This is so uncool but I'll try and provide a laugh.
I'm newer to jazz and right now my favorite new(old) album is Jim Hall's Concierto. I at least listen to the title cut every session. I couldn't remember the trumpet player and wanted to mention him here. I go look and it's Chet Baker.  :lol:  No wonder........
Chet Baker. Maybe he wasn't the most innovative or groundbreaking, but man, he knew how to get
feeling out of that thing!
Yes. That whole cut, Concierto, they play sooo cool and smooth but with an incredible amount of feeling.  8)

mjosef

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2010, 02:42 am »
Miles...Cherry...Lester Bowie...Blanchard...Peyton...

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:29 am »
Hi all.
I like Chuck Mangiony.
Guy 13

weitrhino

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:08 am »
Bill Chase, Jerry Van Blair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Chase

Quiet Earth

« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:33 am »
Mark Isham is  8) too.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2010, 05:51 am »
Two not mentioned....

Al Hirt....remember him.Here he is with Maynard Ferguson....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzXNxHoFKqc

And ........Arturo Sandoval. Here with Dizzy Gillespie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xncznvkB7S8

Ahhh...one more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w66KOFixfXk&NR=1

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 6 Nov 2010, 05:52 am »
Sean Jones? There's a name I'm not familiar with - thanks.

I went up to the Princeton Record Exchange a few weeks ago with Tom, another member here, and we were talking about (you guessed it) trumpet players. He has a hard time listening to Roy Eldridge and Dizzy Gillespie. I found that interesting as Dizzy is one of my faves. Dizzy played like Roy at the start of his career. Roy was his teacher. It's the aggressive up front style and sound that puts Tom off. I think if you listen to some later Dizzy stuff like New Faces, you get a whole other feel. Maybe helping to invent bop with Bird and friends caused the evolution. Change is inevitable.

Dizzy in turn taught Miles how to play. When Miles first went to NY there was no way he could keep up with Bird. But he got through it and man did he change things. Dizzy also gave Lee Morgan his start. Lee played in his big band. On Lee's first Blue Note album he's holding one of Dizzy's trumpets - with a bent horn.

I met Dizzy in Seattle in '74. He was playing a gig at some bar/club. I was stranded there for awhile. Anyway, I saw a poster and went to the club. Dizzy came in before the gig and sat at the bar 2 seats from me. They served him a meal and we talked a bit. He was one of the nicest most generous guys I ever met. I told him I used to play a little and he offered me an audition in LA later that month. I couldn't believe it. I declined cause I wasn't that good, but I guess that's the kind of person he was.
neo

Bill Chase & Jerry Van Blair - thanks. I've got some catching up to do.
You could be stranded in worse places.  I should be so lucky.