World Music

jimdgoulding

World Music
« on: 5 Oct 2007, 09:36 am »
I'm pretty new here and can imagine a thread like this appearing before, but I'm pretty inspired by something I recently purchased and would like to share it and know more.  By world music I mean stuff that is indigenous to a culture or place, not what the word might imply otherwise.  I've bought a couple of recordings recommended by the publisher of 6 moons of this type music and have always been a fan of Flamenco and own a few albums.  I expect I'll buy Carlos Saura's DVD about the subject one of there days.

The recording that has me excited is called Gatherings- Global Celebration.  I heard a track from in it on college radio and ordered it.  Allow me to give you a preview.  First, let me say that this is an excellent recording.  You might not think it would be because it is a complilation disc but it most definitely is.  It contains music from Bali and Africa   Some of the selections are raucous, festive, and jubilant instrumentals with horns and I don't know what all and some are smaller and more intimate.  My favorite track (11- Seckuo & Tamata) is positively hypnotic.  The beat has to get you.  The instrumentation is all acoustic as is the entire disc, I believe, composed of marimba, various small body string instruments and drums.  I believe there may be an acoustic bass in there, also.  And the singing is trance like to me.  There are other tracks with small ensembles and collective singing that are pretty mesmerizing, too.  It's too exotic for me to do it justice trying to desrcibe but let me say again that the recording is EXCELLENT.  I have another disc by a singer/guitar player from Mozambique that is very well recorded, also, by a couple of American guitar players on the road.

Perhaps, some of you have heard this, I can recommend this for the music (it's wild in some spots) and sound, or have some working knowledge about the genre.  I would be interested to know more.  Happy listening and thanks.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2007, 11:03 am by jimdgoulding »

ZLS

Re: World Music
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2007, 11:59 am »
I have been discovering the music recorded on the Putumayo World Music Label.  They record music of different cultures, both around the world and in the United States.  I agree with their classifications; it is not so much the geographical location as it is the distinctiveness of sound and particular flavor of the music.  One of my favorite CD's is Women of South America; it is simply beautiful music.  The fact that I do not understand a word does not detract in the least from my enjoyment of the music; however, if I had to venture a guess I am going to imagine that a great many of the songs are about the fact that her man done her wrong!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2007, 12:49 pm »
Thank you, Z.  I will check out the Putamayo catalog (I'm tempted to make a wry funny about that name) and those ladies you're listening to.  The label I was refering to is Ellipsis Arts FYI.  I'm down with the Duke (your sig) and was listening to Billy Strayhorn's Lush Life recently.  Man, it's hard to believe that cat was only 16 years old when he wrote that.  Where did he get the imagination of that song at that age?  Back to the topic . . (thanks, again).

mjosef

if you are talking about this...
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2007, 03:40 am »

A 4-disc set celebrating traditional music from around the world then you are spot on...the recording is excellent.
Highly recommended for fans of traditional folk music from all over the globe.

jimdgoulding

Back to mjosef
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2007, 04:09 am »
That is outstanding, Mjo!  I'd definitely say it's from the same collection.  The artwork is almost identical.
Told ya'll about the sound. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2007, 10:14 pm »
Jim,
regarding Miguel, mentioned on another thread,
here is some info, from the top of a page of Google results (all of these guys are googlable)
http://www.carmenromero.ca/bastide.html
there are sound clips there too, but not of the most recent recording (mine) which can be seen but not heard here:
http://www.pacificmusic.net/
It's called International Guitar Night II

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:26 pm »
Maestro Russ . . muchas gracias!!!

jimdgoulding

Sitar music- a rare find
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:53 am »
I was scrolling across the bottom of Amazon while listening to and for some Indian Classical music.  Not everyone's cut of tea, I know.  Clicked on a fellow unknown to me named Nikhil Banerjee.  I saw where he had recorded several albums, all live it seems, in European cites and in Berkeley.  This kind of music is more accepted in Europe, I think, but if it was going find an audience in US, Berkeley is good.  I ordered one.  It seems that a couple of fellows using a Stellavox recoder and a couple of Sennheiser mikes followed this artist around to record all these small, very quiet, concerts to include Mark Levinson using his Cello Ltd. stuff for equalization.  This artist and the recording I bought- Afternoon Ragas in Rotterdam- feature the most exquisite music of this type and recreation of the event that I have ever heard.  NB delves very deeply into feeling and the expression of it on this disc and he plays for 77 minutes straight.  He plays two ten minute ALAPS, that's where the artist explores his thoughts and instrument freely, and in several more formal contexts.  He is accompanied in a Tabla player in those.  This is lovely stuff for afficionados of this type music.  I shit you not.  Those sympathetic strings on this instrument shimmer.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2007, 06:07 am »
This artist and the recording I bought- Afternoon Ragas in Rotterdam- feature the most exquisite music of this type and recreation of the event that I have ever heard.

Samples Link...... :wink:

Gordy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2007, 09:46 am »
A great source for info and monthly music samplers of world music is Global Rhythms magazine.... http://www.globalrhythm.net/  :thumb:  Martin tuned me on to this via their samplers, I really need to get more of the back issue cd's, most excellent!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2007, 07:15 am »
6 moons main man likes international music and did a review on this some months ago.  I slipped it in my player and on the opening track got positively nailed to the back of my chair. Strong transients and tangible intensity in the playing.  This is what I love about Flamenco!  The disc also includes some more modern explorations with cellist David Darling.  On that opening track . . turn your volume up to STUN.  Gino D'Auri- Flamenco pasion y duende (World Class).

« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2007, 02:06 pm by jimdgoulding »

raztec

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm »
Here are several of my favourites that are absolutely mind blowing in my opinion. Check them out on amazon.

Ghazal - A fusion of Persian and N. Indian music by their respective masters
Shakti - John McClaughlin meets Zakir Hussein - been around since the 70s masters of Jazz-Indian fusion
Niyaz - Classical Persian meets electronica - Reminiscent of Loreena McKinnet but with more authenticity because of the respective authors depth of understanding the roots of their musical lineage

If you like what you hear, I suggest a few more.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2007, 02:21 am »
raztec-  mjosef posted Niyaz on "what are you listening to" and I like this a lot.  I listened to samples on CD Universe which sounds better to me that Amazon for some reason.  Very sensual.  I'm ordering this.

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2007, 02:30 am »
If you like Niyaz...you would absolutely love Axiom of Choice. Highly recommended.

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2007, 02:47 am »
If you like Niyaz...you would absolutely love Axiom of Choice. Highly recommended.

Agreed!  For a truly wonderful  recording of acoustic instruments in a natural space you might want to try Calamus - The Splendor of Al-Andalus, a collection of medieval music from Moorish Spain.

Edit... Niyaz's latest effort is due out in February or so!

mjosef

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2007, 02:52 am »
For a truly wonderful  recording of acoustic instruments in a natural space you might want to try Calamus - The Splendor of Al-Andalus, a collection of medieval music from Moorish Spain.
Wow...darn...just sampled that...incredule-able  :lol:
Love it!

carusoracer

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2007, 03:11 pm »
Great thread! I luv this genre...

Hey Mosjef, if you ever make to OH or anyone else can come over and we can listen for hours :thumb:

BTW Mosjef, Can you make me a disc of your favs 8)
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2007, 03:21 pm by carusoracer »

Zero

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2007, 04:22 pm »
Zemfira - Vandetta     (Russian.. a good mix of rock/pop)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:43 am »
Gordmonster-  Calamus resides in my collection.  MA Recordings . . another little purist label for us to treasure.   Speaking of which but having nothing to do with World Music, I just ordered Datevik, a nuanced little voice on Mapleshade Records (CD).  I'm looking forward to hearing her sing My Favorite Things.   

Cacophonix

« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:38 am »
omar faruk tekbilek - One of my favorite world musician!

I came across his music for the first time when i listened to the buddha bar series a few years back. Ever since then i've been listening to his music regularly. Check out any of his albums, and also "gypsy fire". It has a corny cover but the music is wonderful.

« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2007, 04:27 am by Cacophonix »