World Music

Gordy

Re: World Music
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2007, 03:39 am »
I only have 3-4 MA recordings and they're uniformly excellent, I really need to pick up some more!  I was going to suggest Two Siberians but, I see that it's WA recordings  :duh:

Another favorite of mine is the band Obereg, formerly a Russian Troupe band under the USSR.  After the fall they started playing their own music and then left for France and recorded Far Away, update traditional Russian folk music, though sung in both Russian and French.   Tatiana Rykova, the female vocalist, is simply pyrotechnic!

I see Datevik has recorded two albums with Sony as well!
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2007, 04:18 am by Gordy »

raztec

« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2007, 03:05 am »
Orchestra Baobab - Classic Senegalise band with a caribbean sound
Alpha yaya diallo - West african musicians based in Vancouver, BC.

check'm out...brilliant stuff

Gordy

« Reply #22 on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:25 am »
I found this info on Alpha Yaya Diallo...  none too shabby!

# 1993 Néné - nominated for a Juno Award
# 1996 Futur - nominated for a Juno Award
# 1998 The Message - won a Juno Award in Best Global category
# 2001 The Journey - won a 2002 Juno Award in Best Global Album category
# 2004 African Guitar Summit collaboration - won a 2005 Juno Award in Best World

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:37 am »
I checked out samples of Axiom of Truth and some Azam Ali.  I got that here.  Thanks.  Now I just need to choose which ones to buy. 

Gordy

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2007, 06:32 pm »
For what it's worth Jim...

All three of Axiom's albums are excellent. Beyond Denial and Unfolding have the original four members while Niya Yesh has four or five guest musicians as well, Greg Ellis of Vas and Planet Drum for instance.

Azam's solo efforts are both quite different with Portals of Grace being a collection of some of her favorite medieval pieces (she discover the abbess Hildegard of Bingen while in her late teens) while Elysium is more along the lines of Medi-Near Eastern Niyaz, though with more synth/computer support.

Niyaz is a meeting of the minds with members from Axiom of Choice, Vas and Ekova plus producer Carmen Rizzo providing bass fundamentals.

Roseland is Azam Ali and film composer Tyler Bates doing a rock/ambient sound... an Elysium/rock fusion.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2007, 07:02 pm »
Thank you, brother.  I appreciate all the info.  I'm sure other readers do, too.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:47 am »
Heard samples of Talvin Singh's "OK".  I like this and will purchase.  Not World Music necessarily, but I am trying to hear samples of Josefine Cronholm but the normal places I visit, Amazon and CD Universe, no got.  Can anybody give me some addresses that might?  Thanks.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2007, 04:32 am »
....but I am trying to hear samples of Josefine Cronholm but the normal places I visit, Amazon and CD Universe, no got.  Can anybody give me some addresses that might?  Thanks.

Try this for samples of "Wild Garden" by Josefine Cronholm.

jimdgoulding

Russell . .
« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2007, 10:18 am »
Did you ever get those recordings of the local concert featuring D'Gary and "the Miles Davis of flamenco" converted to silver? 

Russell Dawkins

Re: Russell . .
« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2007, 12:49 pm »
Did you ever get those recordings of the local concert featuring D'Gary and "the Miles Davis of flamenco" converted to silver? 

Yes, it was finished and released in time for their cross-country tour starting Nov 3. It is widely distributed in Canada, but I'm not sure about the States. It's called "International Guitar Night II".

Top left on this page:

http://www.pacificmusic.net/

Unfortunately, I don't think they provide sound samples but I can send anyone an mp3 of one of the tracks - just send me your email address by PM, and state you preference in which single track you would like to hear.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2007, 06:55 am »
ZLS, all-  I've been getting into the Puntamayo catalog of late thanks to you guys and a buddy who is sending me some burned CD's.  I am so luvin what I'm hearing here.  Kind of reminds me of Connoisseur Society records.  The recording quality on average is as good as it gets!  You heard that right!  Any self respecting audiophile/romantic music lover oughta get into some of this.  The people that run this endeavor oughta get a Pullitzer Prize!  Thank you!       

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:00 am »
The Putumayo catalog is very good Jim. I'm kind of lucky....got to hear many of their recordings. My local library has most of them. 8)

http://www.putumayo.com/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:10 am »
LOL, Wolfny.  One of these days, perhaps you'll indulge me that library.  I'm startin to miss New York.  Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:16 am »
LOL, Wolfny.  One of these days, perhaps you'll indulge me that library.  I'm startin to miss New York.  Jim
Jim....Your in Texas....check the library. 8)
Last time I was in Dallas...stopped by their library....some nice selections that one could take home to listen too.... :wink:

mjosef

« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:56 am »
Yeap...the  Putumayo recordings are quite good...13 years ago when I had my retail store I used to sell them.

carusoracer

« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2007, 01:00 pm »
I like the Putmayo collections alot they have a great niche for the market and good exposure to all cultures of music. My favorite is the Brazilian series.

OTH, The Buddha Bar series is very good as well 8)

Gordy

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2007, 02:06 pm »
...13 years ago when I had my retail store I used to sell them.

I didn't know that, though it certainly doesn't surprise me!

mjosef

« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2007, 02:29 am »
My one beef with the Putmayo music is the...how should I say it...tendency to cover just the poppy side of the indigenous music culture. The more experimental and traditional music barely gets touched.

Cacophonix

« Reply #38 on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:20 am »
My one beef with the Putmayo music is the...how should I say it...tendency to cover just the poppy side of the indigenous music culture. The more experimental and traditional music barely gets touched.

You just stole my thought!
Thats my only criticism, but then again, they have introduced me to a whole lot of international musicians.

ZLS

« Reply #39 on: 21 Dec 2007, 01:11 pm »
View Putumayo as giving you the key to the door of indigenous music.  It is up to each individual listener to use that key to open that door to listen (and learn) of the width and depth of each culture's music.