NEW! diffractionbegone results

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: NEW! diffractionbegone results
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:21 am »
Bueno!  Were you able to PayPal alright?   Five working days you'll have your package. Thank you.  jim   
Yes...just sent Jim....thanks... :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2007, 05:30 am »
Chris, Sturgis, Ken, and Zack-  I ran to the post office today only to find out that today is a holiday.  That is to say, your packages will be departing Tuesday.  Happier listening (goes without saying). 

lonewolfny42

« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:12 am »
Chris, Sturgis, Ken, and Zack-  I ran to the post office today only to find out that today is a holiday.  That is to say, your packages will be departing Tuesday.  Happier listening (goes without saying). 
Got it today Jim.....thanks !!! :thumb:

I just finished setting up the Shamrock Keelin's in a simple amp/player system....the before diffraction pads.

Then..in a bit... I'll add the pads.

First impression upon opening the mailer....thick....quality pad. And perfect cut to size...nice. 8)

Chris

lonewolfny42

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2007, 04:56 am »
Yep....the pads work....for me. 8)
With the Shamrock Audio Keelin's....more focus in the treble,smoother sounding as well.
Nice....I like it !!!
Thanks Jim.......:beer:

Chris

rockadanny

« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:58 pm »
Jim N, or anyone else, if you had panels up to resolve first reflections, after this tweak did you remove them (panels) and listen for results? Perhaps they're (panels) no longer required?

Jimdgoulding, or anyone else, what would I be losing with this tweak, if anything? Off-axis response?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:31 pm »
Jim N, or anyone else, if you had panels up to resolve first reflections, after this tweak did you remove them (panels) and listen for results? Perhaps they're (panels) no longer required?

Jimdgoulding, or anyone else, what would I be losing with this tweak, if anything? Off-axis response?

From what I can tell, you don't lose anything with these wool squares,,,,, until they're removed. Then the focus isn't as sharp and the soundfield shrinks. It's one of those tweaks that's never necessary when you don't have it, yet when you've lived with them for a while and then take them off,,, you'll quickly notice they're missing. Frankly I don't see any reason for even wanting to take them off. If that's your frame of mind, I couldn't bother getting them in the first place. I did take mine off after around 10 days, just to see if I could live w/o them and I could definitely live w/o them,,,, I just choose not to cuz I love that added depth & focus. They won't be coming off again unless it's to dye them. I'm still on the fence there.

Cheers,
Robin

rockadanny

« Reply #46 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:01 pm »
I did not mean to remove the felt, but the first reflection panels on your walls, if you (anyone) have them. If the felt device eliminates the first reflections then there would be no need for first reflection panels on your walls. Correct? I hope this is a clearer explanation.

rockadanny

« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:04 pm »
Or perhaps I misunderstood the reflections claim. Perhaps it refrred to the reflections off of your baffle, not the walls. I have a feeling this is what was meant. And if so then my question about wall panels is unecessary.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #48 on: 20 Nov 2007, 10:09 pm »
I left my panels in place. Did not do a with/without comparison. I don't believe that felt pads eliminate the need for panels, rather the improvememt may be a bit more subtle with panels than without.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:21 am »
I misunderstood your question rockadanny, I just glanced thru it first thing this morning.  :oops: I didn't take my diffusers down, no reason to. The wool surrounds may deal with the tweeeters but there's still a 7" Scan-Speak on my Lorelei's which is the heart of my midrange sweetness that need those diffusers. IMHO, those wool surrounds aren't a cureall for first reflections, I don't think they're really intended to be. I'm sure Jim will be chiming in,,,,,

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2007, 04:26 am »
Rockadanny-  Hi.  I think you got it.  The point is to remove sound waveform interaction with the most offensive area that is adjacent to your tweeters in a typical box enclosure.  As the frequency goes lower the waveforms become longer and are typically handed off to a larger driver with less baffle space anyway.  Those waveforms interact with your room boundaries, so, the need for room treatment is not eliminated but off axis response is improved according to a study done By Danny Richie using his two way monitor speakers.  There was a smoother, less severe roll off.  I attribute this to the mass of the design.  If you haven't already purchased side wall damping material, or even if you have, I recommend trying this for yourself.  My room is only 12' wide and I don't use any.  My stage seems affected only by the recording being played.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #51 on: 25 Nov 2007, 04:29 am »
"Hello Jim:

Here are my comments.

With the felt tweeter surrounds, there is less smearing of the sound; in orchestral music, individual instruments can be heard distinctly rather than blending into an amalgam of sound. There is definitely more depth to the sound stage and more hall ambience as well. Rather than a sound stage laterally restricted about each speaker and the virtual center, the felt tweeter surrounds produce a soundstage width that is more uniform and panoramic. My preferred room curve using a 1/3 octave RTA/equalizer previously required a roll off of 1.5 db per octave between 4KHz and 10KHz to avoid a brittle treble. With the felt tweeter surrounds in place, I find the room and my ears tolerate a flat response in that frequency region. This relative frequency boost may also contribute further to the perceived improvement in the size and depth of the soundstage."

I. B.

(transposed from an email, everyone has gotten so quiet here)

The "brittleness" to I.B.'s treble is the intrusion to the signal of early reflection.  That's all that's missing.  Jim

mfsoa

« Reply #52 on: 25 Nov 2007, 01:10 pm »
Jim,
Please refer to the pic below:

The distances across the front face of the Von Schweickert VR4JR at the very top of the outer black tweeter ring, at the center of the tweeter and at the bottom of the outer black tweeter ring are 6 3/8", 6 3/4" and 7 1/8" respectively.

Do you think you can whip me up a pair that'll work with these dimensions?

Thanks

-Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #53 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:05 pm »
Mike-  Absolutely.  If you would like to purchase, kindly go to my website and complete the order form on the second page and submit.  Having done that, arrow back to that page and click on the "quotes/pics" page tab.  There you will see a BuyNow button.  Don't forget to include postage which may be seen at the bottom of the home page.  Thank you and happier listening.  Jim

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #54 on: 25 Nov 2007, 05:05 pm »
Do these work with ribbon tweaters?  I am getting delivery of Salk HT3's this week

jimdgoulding

« Reply #55 on: 25 Nov 2007, 06:23 pm »
Bill-  Dunno, really, in your case.  I've fitted for some round ribbons on a few JM Labs but your tweets are vertical.  They may propagate more horizontally but I would think that shouldn't disqualify them.  As a matter of fact, the technical editor of Positive Feedback Online is building a prototype speaker for production using ribbons and has expressed an interest in having me make surrounds for it.  Can you tell me how tall your tweets are?  Also, the dimensions of their enclosure?  I see that they have a trapezoid shape.  Kindly reply to my personal email address jimdgoulding@yahoo.com if you don't mind.  Were you in attendance at the NY Rave?  Thanks.  Jim 

ps-  beautiful speakers, BTW.

mfsoa

« Reply #56 on: 26 Nov 2007, 02:02 am »
Hi Jim,
What's the AC member price?

:thumb:

Im trying to fill out the order

Thanks

-Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #57 on: 26 Nov 2007, 02:45 am »
Twenty nine and ninety nine one hundreth's (plus a buck eighty four postage).  Cheers.

mfsoa

« Reply #58 on: 26 Nov 2007, 02:59 am »
Thanks, order placed!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 26 Nov 2007, 04:24 am »
Thanks, order placed!

I hope to have an opportunity to hear your VR-4JR's sometime at another RAVE. I've always wanted to hear a Von Schweickert loudspeaker and your system looks delicious. :D

Cheers,
Robin