NEW! diffractionbegone results

Filterlab

Re: NEW! diffractionbegone results
« Reply #100 on: 4 Jan 2008, 10:45 am »
Filterlab-  Not as much benefit to be had cause the wavelengths are longer than your, and most, dynamic speaker enclosures are wide.  Longer wavelengths will wrap around their enclosures to be reflected later in time by room boundaries sometimes to the detriment of frequency response.

Fair enough, tweeter surrounds work though! :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #101 on: 4 Jan 2008, 11:04 am »
Here's another picture of my Lorlelei sporting Jim's DiffractionBeGone under the posing tutelage of our very own Lonewolf.

Cheers,
Robin

Val

« Reply #102 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:24 pm »
After a week of critical listening to the diffractionbegone pads, my impressions are consistent with what I had already told Jim. I have also gotten used to their looks, not as bad as I first thought regarding the difference in color. The sound improvements are subtle but clear: soundstaging is more realistic and images are more precise and solid; there is less treble splash from the tweeter which at first seems to have less sound coming out of it but if you pay attention all the treble sounds are still there, but cleaner. The pads seem to lower distortion in general (I am listening at a slightly higher volume now) and to tilt the frequency range down, similar to what a good power cord does but in a more subtle way. I have readjusted my REL a tiny bit down to compensate. The pads are a steal at the price!

WGH

« Reply #103 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:11 pm »
Ahhh, what was old is new again. Jim, thanks for reintroducing listeners to better sound at an affordable price. All my speakers have had variations on this idea since the 1973 JBL L100.

Wayne 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jan 2008, 03:20 am »
Thanks, Val.  You too, Wayne (those are gorgeous doors at your website).  Glad to do it.  I might just add that what buyers are getting in overall improvement, is not only "worth the price", it ranks with the best return on investment in the audio world!  At least for those it is intended.  I hope that none of you will begrudge me a reasonable price increase going forward.  Say, as of Jan 15.  There is a lot more work that goes into this than you might imagine.  I dropped the price for AC members at Topround's suggestion in reply to a request for marketing ideas.  I'm not talking exorbitant.  Just PM me.  Thanks.  Jim 
 :peek:
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2008, 06:52 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #105 on: 2 Feb 2008, 05:24 am »
Got a nice little review today on StereoMojo (2/01) by Bill Schuchard.  I sent him some throwaways from when I was practicing my craft for him to play around with on some speakers he was making.  Boy, if I’d of known then that he was gonna give me 9 pages plus photos, I’d have send him some that fit!  He’s included 5 measurement charts that confirm that your ears are not deceiving you.  Here’s my reply:

Guys-  I don’t know if you reprint replies from manufacturers but here goes.  First, what I provided to Bill was a throwaway from another job (sorry, Bill).  I had no idea that he was going to feature my affordable contribution to good sound so prominently in the pages of Stereo Mojo at the time.  I invite you, dear reader, to look at a closely photographed finished product on a set of likely speakers at:  http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=457#post457

Introduce yourself while you’re there.  It’s a very good place.  Well, thanks, fellas.  You pretty well got it.  Since introducing my product in June of last year, I’ve fitted for pairs of various Spendor, Polk Audio, Opera, Von Schweikert, GR Research, Harbeth, Odyssey, Vienna Acoustics, Revel, PSB, JM Labs, Epos, Merlin, Meridian, Acoustic Zen (Adagios), Dynaudio, Mission, NHT models and a few others for listeners in the US and Canada, Singapore, India, Australia, and the UK (I’m workin on some Verity Fidelio’s as we speak).  It’s unanimous, this is a good thing.  Of course, I knew that already as I made the very first pair for myself.  These are machine stamped, by the way, and made from highest grade compressed wool.

This helps keep the integrity of absolute time and phase intact. The window on your stage, your stage itself and the instruments and vocals that populate it, will all be recreated in your room with more realism, as best as your system is capable of delivering.  And you’ll have free admission every night.  You’ll be pulling recordings off your shelf you haven’t listened to in years.  Decades, if you’re old as me.  And you know what?  It never gets old.

Thanks Mojo men, you done good!

Jim Goulding

satfrat

• Restricted

jimdgoulding

« Reply #107 on: 3 Feb 2008, 12:54 am »
Thanks, Sat, for correcting my oversite.  Happier listening, as always.  Jim

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #108 on: 8 Feb 2008, 12:16 am »
Did you ever get anybody with ribbon tweeters to try these, if not send me a pair to review.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:29 am »
Did you ever get anybody with ribbon tweeters to try these, if not send me a pair to review.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #110 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:05 am »
Hey Robin-  Just sent you a PM.  Thanks for checking up on me.  Bill- Sent you one too.  For the information of others, I have fitted for three different makes and models of speakers using verticle ribbons thus far.  Feedback has all been very good.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #111 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:08 am »
These are Bills loudspeakers, plain n' simple. I wasn't sure if you knew and Bill don't tell ya much.  aa  Bill's an audiophile,,, or maybe he's a videophile. They're both killer systems. 8) Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,
Robin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #112 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:12 pm »

I made my own and they work great.  Trick is getting them attached without damaging the veneer.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #113 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:46 pm »

I made my own and they work great.  Trick is getting them attached without damaging the veneer.

Well??? Would you like to share your trick or you gonna keep it to yourself?  aa  You just might be helping someone out here. Thank you.

Cheers,
Robin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #114 on: 11 Feb 2008, 11:34 pm »

[/quote]

Well??? Would you like to share your trick or you gonna keep it to yourself?  aa  You just might be helping someone out here. Thank you.

Cheers,
Robin
[/quote]

Yes.  2" wide blue painter's tape on the speaker surface first.  Then I tried carpet tape which would only hold for a few hours and then the felt would unstick itself.  Now I use Velcro pads that have more stickem and they stay stuck to the felt.  One side on the blue tape, other to the felt.

Also, on the G2 ribbon I found if you cut it too close it restricts the sound so I have my opening rectangular shaped and beveled out 45 degrees from about 1/2" from the inner edge of the black tweeter surround area.  Need to take a photo.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #115 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:32 am »

Yes.  2" wide blue painter's tape on the speaker surface first.  Then I tried carpet tape which would only hold for a few hours and then the felt would unstick itself.  Now I use Velcro pads that have more stickem and they stay stuck to the felt.  One side on the blue tape, other to the felt.

Also, on the G2 ribbon I found if you cut it too close it restricts the sound so I have my opening rectangular shaped and beveled out 45 degrees from about 1/2" from the inner edge of the black tweeter surround area.  Need to take a photo.
[/quote]

Painter's tape huh? Is that masking tape you're referring to? If that's the case, I'll have to try that. i've never been comfortable using velcro on veneer but I like what the woolie's do for the imaging so much that I just said F/I.  :lol: I've actually found that the velcro itself comes loose from the wool. I've had to use superglue to hold them on the wool.

Thanks for sharing, sure do appreciate it!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #116 on: 16 Feb 2008, 08:51 pm »
OK Bill-  Regards measurements, on your towers, I need to know the width of your baffle (in inches) up to where the cant begins at the top of your mid driver’s mounting basket and at the top of your cabinets so I can get the angles to follow the lines.  On your center channel, I need to know the distance between the mounting baskets.  Lastly, the length and the width of the cavities of your ribbons, not the plate, the cavities.  Any questions, just let me know.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #117 on: 17 Feb 2008, 04:13 pm »
OK Bill-  Regards measurements, on your towers, I need to know the width of your baffle (in inches) up to where the cant begins at the top of your mid driver’s mounting basket and at the top of your cabinets so I can get the angles to follow the lines.  On your center channel, I need to know the distance between the mounting baskets.  Lastly, the length and the width of the cavities of your ribbons, not the plate, the cavities.  Any questions, just let me know.

Jim I sent a PDF with measurements.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #118 on: 19 Feb 2008, 02:54 pm »
Here's a note I got yesterday from a fellow down under using some Osborn Eclipses.  Yeah, me neither.  Nice guy, too.  He'd be right at home here:

"Jim after several hours of critical listening I have reached a couple of conclusions. First ,everything sounds better and clearer. Secondly there is no down side to this improvement. What I had been hearing as "texture" in instruments and vocals was apparently distortion plain and simple. A friend likened the phenomenon to cleaning a windscreen that you didn't realise was dirty anyway. Not the most original of metaphors but apt enough. And yes the soundstaging does improve as well. I won't be sending these back but may be ordering some more, you see I have some other speakers.  Thank you for your ingenuity."  C Heycox, NSW

I think what he means by texture is what we call grain.  And as for my ingenuity, I think he is just a little excited.  I thought it would be nice to share this.  That and I don't want my thread to die.  Why is what I do such a hard sell, I'm starting to wonder?  It's one of the most gratifying improvements I've made in my 30 years as a consumer and an enthusiast.

:scratch:   

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #119 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:39 pm »
Jim I just resent the email.