Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #540 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:13 pm »
Amen brother! LOL

To be honest, my current gear is way better than I deserve or need but I like it!  There is a guy in my group who does not show up very often.  He has a sweet Colnago bike with Campy Super Record and Zipp tubular 404's.  Every time we pull up to another group, someone compliments his Colnago (even though there are a couple nicer bikes in the group).  It probably weighs about 15 lbs and is beautiful to observe (and I imagine, to ride). 

He is a really nice guy (won't mention his name) but he is also the slowest and fattest guy in the group.  Slower and fatter than me (yeah!).  He usually starts a ride, lingers at the back of the pack, and makes an excuse to quit at the ten mile mark (or so) and turns around.  On a modest bike, that sort of thing is a little humiliating to the person involved, but on a Colnago with top shelf gruppo and wheels, it's worse.  More noticeable.  I never want to be the fat guy with the fancy bike at the back of the pack.  If things don't change soon, I may need to invest in an electric motor or some EPO if I ever want a fancy bike!

Cheers,

J

baumer

« Reply #541 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:35 pm »
...I may need to invest in an electric motor or some EPO if I ever want a fancy bike!

Look out Cancellara!  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #542 on: 25 Apr 2011, 07:07 pm »

baumer

« Reply #543 on: 25 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm »
I love the whole notion of "Mechanical Doping"!!! He just happened to be the strongest rider with the best game plan that day.
Or should I say two days, since he did it again already a week later earlier.

But you just gotta' ask yourself, "What was he doing with his right hand on the hood for that split second?" Doesn't look like he shifted.

Maybe just a cramp.  :thumb:

edited for correct race schedule.

jackman

« Reply #544 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:45 pm »
It's fun to joke but I don't think he cheated.  If he did, he must have motors in his TT bike also because that's where he usually tears it up.

I, on the other hand, would love to shock my friends with some battery powered speed assistance. I'd slap one of those motors into a big cruiser bike and torment the guys in the fast group.

LadyDog

« Reply #545 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:08 am »
Levi,
Being in Indy, if you want me to do any Zipp recon just let me know.

Think they make very nice wheels, the newer ones better than the old.  Again, intent may dictate choice, but the 303 is a very nice wheel.  A good compromise.

Ad Jack mentioned, I would probably buy Enve first though.  Then again, I would buy Easton and Reynolds too.  While maybe not a better wheel, prices are much better.

I've been on a set up Reynolds MidV for a few years now and they have been stellar.

With all due respect, most of us are on more than we will ever be worth.  I'll be the first to admit to being a "poser" in today's world.  Now take me back 20+ years, and I was a very strong rider.

Then again, there is no reason on earth why I need a Dodd pre, a Electrocompaniet amp and Cd player, or Selah or Chesky speakers.  Guess you could call me a "poser" for stereo stuff too.

The end result though, is I am fortunate enough to afford both.  I enjoy both.  They both give me some freedom.  And I am a happier person for it.

Levi

« Reply #546 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:40 am »
Well said.  WE are all fortunate and blessed even to just talking about audio and nice gears. 

There are rumors that Zipp is coming up with a 303 firecrest carbon clincher like the 404.  Hmmm...

jackman

« Reply #547 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:17 pm »
I just read this and hope you guys find the humor and inspiration that I found in it.

My Proudest Moment: Trailer Park Cyclist Vs Cervelo Guy
04.22.2011 | 6:25 am

A Note from Fatty: Today’s guest post comes from Tim Joe Comstock. It’s an awesome story, beautifully told.

I live in a trailer park in Florida. Not a nice retirement-villa-on-wheels trailer park where the elderly neighbors swap recipes and check in on each other and play shuffleboard in the fading twilight of a rosy pink sunset kind of trailer park.

No.

The trailer park I live in is a really crappy side-of-the-highway trailer park where the dentally challenged neighbors swap drugs and have fist-fights in the shimmering glow of the pale moonlight and the occasional blue strobe lights of a police cruiser perks up the evening’s entertainment.

Not that I see much of this action, not really, because while the evening’s misadventures go on outside my window I am safe inside staring at a computer screen bearing images of sweet and shiny new bicycles that I can’t afford. And reading cycling blogs by people who live seemingly charmed lives of high-paying office jobs that leave them plenty of energy and money to spend their off time riding around wearing expensive clothing that I also can’t afford while they ride the above-mentioned out-of-reach bicycles.

But while I may sound bitter or disillusioned, I am not. Because I ride a bicycle too. The same roads my “superior” colleagues pedal on are open to me, also. And listen, man, I ride them. After thirty years of hard labor in the construction industry, after two marriages and houses and kids and lawyers, topped off with this never-ending “recession” and all the loss that results from loss: I ride my bike. A lot.

One day a few months ago at a convenience store I was admiring a pair of touring bikes parked outside. A Raleigh Sojourn and a Trek 520. A mild-mannered fellow in full kit, a guy about my own graying age, came out and I complimented him on his bike. We were discussing the worth of disc brakes vs. cantilevers when his wife joined us, glancing nervously at my baggy shorts, sleeveless t-shirt, scruffy beard and long, bandana-bound hair. And the beer in my hand.

I was halfway through my Sunday Century and I always stop at the same place for a beer; sometimes three, depending on the day, how I feel, and my financial situation. As she walked up her husband was offering me a ride on his Sojourn. I was just throwing a leg over when she said “Hold it.” She gave her husband a look I was all too familiar with (two marriages) and said “How do you know he isn’t some homeless guy?”

“Well, honey, he knows all about bikes, and he seems perfectly all right…” All of this while I sat there, bemused (to say the least) and a flood of emotions went coursing through my already fairly beat down soul. But one of my saving graces at this point in my misspent old age is I don’t get offended nearly as much as I did when I was still an upright citizen.

But I got off the bike.

To her credit, she caught what she had done and tried to lighten the moment by giving me a strained smile and saying, “Well, you’re either a really smart homeless person or…” and then she realized that there was no happy ending to that sentence either and so I just laughed and said “Have fun on your ride, guys,” and went back into the store for another beer.

Today, several months later, I was into mile 30 on my Saturday ride, just cruising along on my 1981 Schwinn LeTour, loving the day and day-dreaming on the empty country road that I like to use for my day-dreaming ride when a guy comes out of nowhere and passes me. I say “Hey!” like I always do, but he just goes on by on his carbon Cervelo.

I am accustomed to being passed by better-disciplined and sleeker riders wearing helmets and lycra and riding carbon, but this time…well, he shot me a disdainful glance as he went by, something else I am accustomed to, but he could at least have said “Hello.”

And then I heard the voice of Brian Becker, ex tri-athlete and a touring rider with more miles under his wheels than most of us will see in a lifetime. “NOBODY drops me without a fight.” So I feathered forward on my right down tube friction shifter and I knocked on the door of a place inside of myself that I haven’t been to in a long time. “It’s not the bike, it’s the engine…come on, boy….”

I’m sitting here in my crappy trailer park by the highway, watching the sunset, sipping a beer and gazing fondly at my old Schwinn leaning against the wall. I’m savoring the the moment when the guy finally caught up with me back in town, where I was waiting at a red light.

“Sheesh”, he said, “I kept looking back, and you were still there. I couldn’t believe it…then…”

Yeah, man.

LadyDog

« Reply #548 on: 27 Apr 2011, 02:28 am »
Levi,
While somewhat dating myself, I would suggest you try tubulars.  While carbon clinchers are nice, I do not feel you get their full advantage until going the sewup route(that term should certainly date me).

Not sure what experience you have with tubulars, but I have an extra set of wheels I'd be more than willing to send you for a trial period.

Know they are pro's and con's to each, but personally I've had better luck with sewups than any clinchers I have ridden over the years.

Let alone you are a light enough!

Levi

« Reply #549 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:16 am »
Hi Jeff,
Sewups are great!  They are very addictive.  It is like borrowing speed.  :)   I will take your offer but it is too bad you live far away.  One don't need to learn how to mount sewups specially if you have a friend who can do it for you. :lol:  Unfortunately, I have to decline the very nice offer.  I pulled a trigger on a new Zipp 404 firecrest  carbon clincher.  :thumb:

Many thanks Jeff!
--Levi

LadyDog

« Reply #550 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:23 am »
No problem Levi.  Been trying to get Jack on some tubulars for a while now too.  ;)

Looking forward to your ride report.  Please keep us posted.  Oh btw, it didn't happen without pictures!  Will lokk forward to those too.

Safe travels.

Levi

« Reply #551 on: 27 Apr 2011, 04:02 am »
Thanks!  Will take pictures as soon as I got them.  ETA hopefully by Friday.

Levi

« Reply #552 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:36 am »
My new Zipp 404 carbon wheelset arrived. 

jackman

« Reply #553 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:55 pm »
Levi, my man, you don't mess around!  Those are sweet wheels and I can't wait for your comments.  Also, how about a picture of those on your bike? 

Did you get the pads from Zipp or are you using some kind of cork brake pads? Those appear to have a carbon brake track (unless my eyes are going) and I believe they use CF specific brakes.  Right?

Good luck!

J

Levi

« Reply #554 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:38 pm »
Thanks Jack!  For me, life is simply too short. I will be enjoying my toys while I still can.  :thumb:

The Zipp 404 comes with cork brake pads, Zipp rim tape, valve extensions and skewers. Braking surface is carbon. I am glad I bought the 404 CC because it has the lightweight convenience of the clincher + the aero advantage of carbon toroidal shape.  Many thanks for the input.

I mounted a pair of Conti 4000s tires with regular .75mm butyl tubes.   However, I like the suppleness of the Michelin Aircomp latex tubes and the Pro Race3 tires.  Reminds me of tubular tires.  :thumb: 

JoshK

« Reply #555 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:43 pm »
That bike looks sick! 

I was wondering about tire recommendations.  I typically ride roads here in JC that are very pot-hole ridden.  My current tires are slicks and very thin.  I was thinking of getting something a bit more supple and durable.  I just don't know jack about tires.

jackman

« Reply #556 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:48 pm »
Wow, nice ride!  I love the way my bike rides and fits me but  your bike is a Ferrari to my (hmmmm, let's  see) Camry.  Okay, maybe my bike is a Camry with upgraded wheels (even less cool than standard Camry!).  I've seen similar Cervelo's on the road and they look cool.  The riders are usually really fit, triathelon types.  Not chubby dorks like me...

I have not tried those tires but I still love the Conti GP4000's.  I run them at recommended psi's for my weight and the tire width (23 mm in my case, and 95 psi front and 100 psi rear) and they are like a magic carpet.  Maybe the latex tubes have something to do with the better ride on the Race3's you are experiencing. 

There seems to be a running debate about Race3's versus GP4000's.  Both tires cost about the same. Race 3's are supposed to ride better but GP's (which also ride very well) are supposed to be more durable and cut resistant and handle better in wet conditions.  GP's are also now available in 25mm size which I'm tempted to try next time.  This would  be a bad option for you because those Firecrest wheels are designed to work with 23mm tires.  Wider width would  eliminate some of the aero advantaget of the wide rim. 

I borrowed a friend's wheels with Vittoria Open Corsa Evo's (320 tpi's) and they rode beautifully but they also did not last him very long because we ride on some relatively rough roads (chip and seal, glass chips, limestone chips, etc.).   Harder wearing tires last a long time (Gatorskins) but they are no fun to ride.  In my experience, the GP4K's have a great ride and are pretty durable (Chili compound, kevlar bead).  My Bontragers that came with the bike were brutal.  They held up like they were made of iron and rode like it also.

Levi

« Reply #557 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:08 pm »
Latex tubes surely helped with suppleness with the expense of pumping my tires every two days. Hunting my local bike shop for Latex tubes. Stay tuned!

If someone buys my Esoteric Universal CD/DVD-A/SACD player that I no longer use, I can experiment more on tires. :lol:

jackman

« Reply #558 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:21 pm »
Latex tubes surely helped with suppleness with the expense of pumping my tires every two days. Hunting my local bike shop for Latex tubes. Stay tuned!

If someone buys my Esoteric Universal CD/DVD-A/SACD player that I no longer use, I can experiment more on tires. :lol:

That's a lot of pumping (that's what she said...).   :green:

I wish you lived closer so I could try that bike out.  I love that beefy BB area and those pencil thin stays.  When I get my next bike, the RS is on my list (I think that's the model).  With the 404's and the DA grouppo, that bike has to weigh around 15lbs.

baumer

« Reply #559 on: 29 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm »
Levi that is one sweet ride! I love the massive BB on the R3. Can you say stiff!

One of these days I'm gonna' get off my 'cross bike and get a real road bike.
I love the Willier Izoard and the BMC SL01. But I'll probably get something like a C'dale CAAD 10 since a complete bike with DA isn't much more than one of those others frames!

Hey Jackman, I'm going to be buying a pair of those GP4000's in 25mm soon also. I'm not a huge guy, 6' 3" 175lbs, but the little extra width makes a huge difference to me. Especially on the crummy roads around here.

I ran Maxxis Detonators at that size and, although that tire is like riding on steel belts, the size is a winner.

Doug