14B SST Swedish Magazine Review

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14B SST Swedish Magazine Review
« Reply #80 on: 13 Sep 2007, 06:46 pm »
James - please advise on how to proceed if one wants to ship their amp to Peterborough. Obviously a tech's abililty to turn things around will depend on your build schedule. No point in having one's amp sit on the bench/staging area for weeks on end while Bryston completes products currently committed for delivery to their dealers & distributors.

In other words, I don't expect Bryston to drop everything to modify my amp upon its arrival but I'd rather not be without it for an extended period of time...

Tx
Ron

Hi Ron,

Contact Mike Pickett at Bryston.
mpickett@bryston.ca

amdan

« Reply #81 on: 16 Sep 2007, 11:07 pm »
James,

Thank you for getting back to us. I will be in touch with Mike as well.

Another question: Given that my unit is the 14B ST. Will the retrofit program also increase the power to the 14 B SST specification?

Regards,
amdan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 17 Sep 2007, 12:44 am »
James,

Thank you for getting back to us. I will be in touch with Mike as well.

Another question: Given that my unit is the 14B ST. Will the retrofit program also increase the power to the 14 B SST specification?

Regards,
amdan

Hi,

No sorry it will not.
The mode is just the otput inductors.  The extra power in the SST comes from a slightly different power supply section.

james

amdan

« Reply #83 on: 17 Sep 2007, 09:24 am »
Hi James,

Thanks for the clarification. Will the upgrade on the 14B ST give the same performance as the upgrade on a 14 B SST given that the power supply is different? Sorry if that is a silly question.

Thanks.

PS. When I write performance I mean in sound quality. I don't think that the extra watts matter in themselves.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #84 on: 17 Sep 2007, 11:12 am »
Hi amdan,

Yes the inductor mod is totally independent of the power supply section.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 17 Sep 2007, 04:13 pm »
HI All,

Just got the full English translation of Mr. Ohman's 14B SST review.

If you want a PDF copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.ca

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 18 Sep 2007, 09:46 am »
Here's the link to the review now posted on our website.

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/07/SwedishReview_EN.pdf

james

ashtarul

« Reply #87 on: 19 Sep 2007, 11:07 am »
Hi James,

We've exchanged a few emails recently. I'm the guy who was looking for the Bryston dealer in Dubai and you pointed me to Seven Seas Computers. I'm happy to inform you that I've just placed an order for the BP26/14B SST combination. They told me it will take 2-4 weeks for the amps to arrive. So here's to 2-4 weeks of sleepless nights. The anticipation is unbearable.

Thanks again.

Ash

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 19 Sep 2007, 11:26 am »
Hi James,

We've exchanged a few emails recently. I'm the guy who was looking for the Bryston dealer in Dubai and you pointed me to Seven Seas Computers. I'm happy to inform you that I've just placed an order for the BP26/14B SST combination. They told me it will take 2-4 weeks for the amps to arrive. So here's to 2-4 weeks of sleepless nights. The anticipation is unbearable.

Thanks again.

Ash

Hi Ash,

Welcome sir as a Bryston customer.  I am sure you will find the BP26 and 14B exceptional.

james

« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 11:50 am by James Tanner »

AnthemAVM

« Reply #89 on: 23 Sep 2007, 05:12 pm »
HI Guy's

What would be a good price on a used Bryston 14B SST?

I am torn between trying a 14B SST or a Parasound JC-1 for my front speakers?

Raimo

« Reply #90 on: 10 Oct 2007, 05:36 pm »
I ordered the 4BSST unheard after reading Ingvars rewiev,after reading Ingvars rewievs & technical articles for over 10 years & tested many of things & tricks he has written about i did not hesitate to do so.All i can say is that i agree to everything he says about the 14BSST.I have not heard the 14BSST but the 4BSST sounds just as he describes the 14BSST in the rewiev. Very clean & open soundspace,crystal clear & smooth sound.Very nice indeed.
I am very glad i ordered it.
Raimo.

ashtarul

« Reply #91 on: 29 Oct 2007, 12:41 pm »
My wait is finally over. The BP26 and 14B SST is FABULOUS! Thank you for such fantastic products.

Ash

mr_bill

« Reply #92 on: 27 Dec 2007, 04:46 pm »
James,
I read through this entire thread and am still a bit confused on one item:  At what serial number are the changes in the ouput inductor chokes a part of the standard production.  I gather from reading that there were no other changes.
Thanks,
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 27 Dec 2007, 05:02 pm »
James,
I read through this entire thread and am still a bit confused on one item:  At what serial number are the changes in the ouput inductor chokes a part of the standard production.  I gather from reading that there were no other changes.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

On the 14B SST – SN-515  or above have the new Inductors.
Correct - there are no other changes.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #94 on: 27 Dec 2007, 05:36 pm »
Thanks James,

Did the 7BSST also get the same change in its output inductors?

Also, as you have the luxury of using all these amps in your system (14b, 7b and 28b) does the 14b or the 7bsst come closest to the sound of the new 28b?

Thanks James,
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 27 Dec 2007, 06:18 pm »
Thanks James,

Did the 7BSST also get the same change in its output inductors?

Also, as you have the luxury of using all these amps in your system (14b, 7b and 28b) does the 14b or the 7bsst come closest to the sound of the new 28b?

Thanks James,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes the 7B SST was changed a few months ago as well.

It is a difficult question to answer as I think a lot of the praise the 28B is getting is a result of the tremendous power it is capable of.

I think most speakers present a far more difficult load than most believe and having that reserve power goes a long way to making a speaker sound more controlled and smoother. I have used  the 14B, 7B and 28B amplifiers on a variety of different speakers at home and I find generally the more powerful the amplifier the more they have an ease of presentation about them even on reasonably efficient loudspeakers in normal size rooms. 

So if budget was not an issue (and it always is) I would go with the 28B's. If you're on a budget and can place the amplifier close to each speaker and run short speaker leads I would go with the 7B's. If the amp is between the speakers or in a rack I would use the 14B.  But hey, if you agree with the Swedish review the 14B is totally transparent so where do you go from there?

james

syswei

« Reply #96 on: 30 Sep 2008, 05:06 pm »
I ordered the 4BSST unheard after reading Ingvars rewiev,after reading Ingvars rewievs & technical articles for over 10 years & tested many of things & tricks he has written about i did not hesitate to do so.All i can say is that i agree to everything he says about the 14BSST.I have not heard the 14BSST but the 4BSST sounds just as he describes the 14BSST in the rewiev. Very clean & open soundspace,crystal clear & smooth sound.Very nice indeed.
I am very glad i ordered it.
Raimo.

Raimo,

I'm going to consider the 7B-SST / 14B-SST for the fronts of a 7.1 HT/music system, but those amps are too pricey for me to use for the 4 side/rear channels.  Has this Ingvars fellow liked any amps at lower price points than the 7B/14B?

Raimo

« Reply #97 on: 30 Sep 2008, 07:48 pm »
Hallo syswei. He recommends the ROTEL RB-1080 & RB-1090. The only complaint he had about these were that they did roll off a tiny bit in the bass range,but he was the only one who heard this and you have to have speakers that dont roll off earlier,about 16Hz or something like that.Another is the NAD 208.But it is in the used market you have to look for it.Then there is the tiny Swedish monoblocks SENTEC PA9.This one has no other weakness but the low output power,about 60 to 70 watts.But i dont know if you can find these outside of sweden.And of course the used market again. The last one is a swedish amp called Supreme,but i have never seen these for sale even in sweden,a very small company that made it.Then he likes the Denon surround recievers AVR-2105 & 2106.These are not totally transparent but very good indeed.He uses them himself in his demo room.These are the only amps i know he recommends.And the bryston.
Best regards Raimo.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #98 on: 30 Sep 2008, 10:57 pm »
How about bi-amping with 2 14B's and the 10B crossover? Wouldn't that be a lethal combo?

miklorsmith

« Reply #99 on: 30 Sep 2008, 11:05 pm »
If you're on a budget and can place the amplifier close to each speaker and run short speaker leads I would go with the 7B's. If the amp is between the speakers or in a rack I would use the 14B.

Can you expand on this James?  I've heard that speaker cable length has a role in amp/speaker damping and *think* I've noticed this as well.