14B SST Swedish Magazine Review

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14B SST Swedish Magazine Review
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:48 pm »
Thanks everyone for helping me out with this - much appreciated.

james

Raimo

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2007, 11:19 pm »
According to Mr Oehman,he discussed the modifications with Mr Chris Russel at Bryston and the modifications should be valid from serial number 000506.Of the 14BSST.
Raimo.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2007, 11:40 pm »
Can you provide a link to the thread in the Faktisk.se forum where Oehman talk about this review Raimo?

Edit: Never mind, found it! It appears Mr Oehman will do the Honors of translating himself!
Very good! I can think of no one better to do it!  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 12:02 am by Imperial »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:07 am »
Can you provide a link to the thread in the Faktisk.se forum where Oehman talk about this review Raimo?

Edit: Never mind, found it! It appears Mr Oehman will do the Honors of translating himself!

Imperial

Can you give me the link?

james

Imperial

« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:16 am »

Imperial

Can you give me the link?

james

http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18849

Here it is.

Imperial

Raimo

« Reply #25 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:19 am »

Imperial
http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18849
http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17704
You can also look at                                                                                                                                                                  http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17704
Where you can see a article from stereophile with a picture of Mr Öhman holding his new mini speaker Guru Audio QM-10p soon to be rewived in stereophile.       The article is in english so even non swedes can understand.
The best of luck to Mr Öhman and his Guru speakers.He makes the best speakers i have ever heard,so i think the reviev vill be fine.I have one of his speaker systems and i think they are wonderful.I think the Bryston 4BSST will be the perfect match,would like to have one for the passive bass system as well,but it is too expensive for me right now,so my Rotel RB-1080 will do the job,it is a graet amp too.
Raimo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:24 am »
THANKS

james

Ron D

« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:37 am »
James - seeing as my 14B-SST is numbered well below the 500 level what does this "revision/modification" involve and how does one go about acquiring it?

Tx
Ron

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:49 am »
James - seeing as my 14B-SST is numbered well below the 500 level what does this "revision/modification" involve and how does one go about acquiring it?

Tx
Ron

Did I understand it correctly that all the revision does is increase the amps already wide bandwidth?  Mine is well below the 500 S/N too.  James does it change the sound or bias of the amp to make it run cooler with a demanding load?

Imperial

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2007, 01:02 am »
I think people should await the translated review by mr Oehman.
After that, one could ask again. It will as I understand it, clarify.

Imperial

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 01:30 am by Imperial »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2007, 01:29 am »
I will have to check with Chris but I believe the only change was to cut the inductor value in the output section in half.

james

Imperial

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2007, 03:05 am »
Yup. Just scrapped the last posting I did...
Its polite I guess to wait for the review...

:smoke:

Anyway, the famed "before/after" setup:

-
The testmethod explained: (By Oehman by the way..)
http://www.sonicdesign.se/amptest.htm

Imperial
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 03:05 pm by Imperial »

Raimo

« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2007, 04:11 pm »

TH.uk

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2007, 05:13 pm »
I will have to check with Chris but I believe the only change was to cut the inductor value in the output section in half.

james

There are actually 3 different changes, and no there is nothing as simple as you are trying to describe.

It's a major revision of the (bridged) amp.

It all comes down to one major issue: The (internal) bridge amps in the 14B (and 7B + 28B ?) SST has an output filter that can (but does not have to) behave like an extra load jsut like the speakers. It's simply put a bad implementation of the original filter which was not for bridged amps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2007, 05:22 pm »

james

There are actually 3 different changes, and no there is nothing as simple as you are trying to describe.

It's a major revision of the (bridged) amp.

It all comes down to one major issue: The (internal) bridge amps in the 14B (and 7B + 28B ?) SST has an output filter that can (but does not have to) behave like an extra load jsut like the speakers. It's simply put a bad implementation of the original filter which was not for bridged amps.

OK I will bow to your explaination until I can speak with Chris on Monday as I was not informed of any changes beyond the filter inductors being cut in half.

james

Ing. Oehman

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2007, 06:43 pm »
Hello everyone!

Ingvar Öhman here.

Firstly:
I have a man on the job of translating the article, and I will of coarse check the translation before it will be official.
Also I have promised sending the translated version of the article to Chris, and I will do that before I'll make it official.
Thus Chris (and/or James) will be ready for any questions from anyone of you guys regarding anything in the article.
Good for everyone! :P

Secondly:
According to the info I've got from Chris Russel the modification includes 12 components (tree on each halve of each
channel of the amplifier - i.e. it includes changes in the whole output filter, L, C and R in four places).

However - compared to the first amplifier I had for test (much older) there are also changes made to parts of the rest
of the amplifier, reducing the bandwith, and improving the intrinsic output impedance properties (output filter not
included). :icon_surprised:
But if I understood Chris right, these changes was done by Bryston before I suggested them / before I did the test,
but after the time where my first amplifier on test, was produced!

Amazingly enough, these other (non output filter) changes are exactly what I suggested to be changed after having
experience of the older model only (don't remember the serial number of it, but I think it was a bit over 000 100).
I'd like to think of it, as an indication that great minds think alike! 8) But probably a truer way to describe it, is that
my thought, was thoughts already old, when I had them... :oops:

Thirdly:
To sum it all up - the SST 14B (serial number later than 000 505) is (in my opinion, from my experience) the best
amplifier I've ever seen and heard! A true reference for what "transparent amplifier performance" is.

But - both performance and prize of it, is at a level that makes me want to remind any prospective buyer, that if the
rest of the HiFi equipment is not of equally superb quality - the same money invested in other parts of the chain (meaning
the parts usually the weakest links of the chain) would probably often be better invested - every time actually...

When everything in the chain is already reaching true peak performance however - I believe that the SST 14B is the
way to go, every time, for anyone having curiosity in music as main drive force for beeing an audiophile. People searching
for "nice colorations" should probably be searching somewhere else though.

In my >30 years of close encounter with the task of accurately reproducing real life music, I have not yet seen the
equal to the SST 14B, or even anything that comes close.

But on the other hand - performance 3 times worse than that of the SST 14B is still very good performance - and might
not be to a significant practical disadvantage compared to the performance of the SST 14B in most setups, since the
colorations of the SST 14B is not only low enough to be fractions of fractions of the total coloration in any normal high
class system - but also probably way below the threshold of hearing!

I can not escape the question insisting on being considered in the back of my head - is performance of this level really
necessary? I guess that the answer depends on who's answering it. My answer is that it is a partly question of attitude.
The "size of the marginal to the threshold of hearing" can not be heard (per definition!), but - it can be thought about!
And thinking of it makes me feel good! And when I feel good - everything sound better!  :P

Best regards, Ingvar

Raimo

« Reply #36 on: 12 Aug 2007, 08:51 pm »
Is the 14BSST the same as the 4BSST but with 2 bridged amps in each channel? Will there be the same problem if you set the 4BSST in bridged mode? Or any single bryston amp in bridged mode?
Raimo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug 2007, 08:56 pm »
Is the 14BSST the same as the 4BSST but with 2 bridged amps in each channel? Will there be the same problem if you set the 4BSST in bridged mode? Or any single bryston amp in bridged mode?
Raimo.

I will check on that one for you with Chris.

james

amdan

« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2007, 08:30 am »
Hi James,

Would you mind letting me know if my 14 B ST (not SST) can be upgraded to the spec mentioned above by Ingvar and if so the cost here in Australia?
I am sure other owners of the 14 B ST/SST will be interested as well.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2007, 10:30 am »
Hi James,

Would you mind letting me know if my 14 B ST (not SST) can be upgraded to the spec mentioned above by Ingvar and if so the cost here in Australia?
I am sure other owners of the 14 B ST/SST will be interested as well.

Thanks.

Hi amdan,

Yes I am going to have a meeting with Chris - get all the details and see if an upgrade path is available.

james