14B SST Swedish Magazine Review

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14B SST Swedish Magazine Review
« Reply #100 on: 30 Sep 2008, 11:13 pm »
If you're on a budget and can place the amplifier close to each speaker and run short speaker leads I would go with the 7B's. If the amp is between the speakers or in a rack I would use the 14B.

Can you expand on this James?  I've heard that speaker cable length has a role in amp/speaker damping and *think* I've noticed this as well.

Hi,

Here is the link to a newsletter I did on the subject a while ago:
http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/54_files/vol5is4.html

There are those that disagree and feel that your better off having low level signal leads (source/preamp) as short as possible and high level (amp/speaker) longer.

james

miklorsmith

« Reply #101 on: 30 Sep 2008, 11:17 pm »
I KNEW it!   :D

Just kidding, thanks.

syswei

« Reply #102 on: 1 Oct 2008, 05:54 pm »
Hallo syswei. He recommends the ROTEL RB-1080 & RB-1090. The only complaint he had about these were that they did roll off a tiny bit in the bass range,but he was the only one who heard this and you have to have speakers that dont roll off earlier,about 16Hz or something like that.Another is the NAD 208.But it is in the used market you have to look for it.Then there is the tiny Swedish monoblocks SENTEC PA9.This one has no other weakness but the low output power,about 60 to 70 watts.But i dont know if you can find these outside of sweden.And of course the used market again. The last one is a swedish amp called Supreme,but i have never seen these for sale even in sweden,a very small company that made it.Then he likes the Denon surround recievers AVR-2105 & 2106.These are not totally transparent but very good indeed.He uses them himself in his demo room.These are the only amps i know he recommends.And the bryston.
Best regards Raimo.

Thank you very much, Raimo!