Something new that sounds incredible

Danny Richie

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #140 on: 29 May 2014, 08:25 pm »
Is there a type of alignment where three drivers could be used and keep the overall height of the enclosure to approximately 28 inches?

It looks like an H frame would end up being about 31 or 32 inches tall. That height will work if positioned close to the mid/tweeter section but would be too tall to go under it.

No problem. You just overlap the frames.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #141 on: 29 May 2014, 09:54 pm »
How much can you overlap the drivers and still be able to put the braces of the H between them?

Danny Richie

« Reply #142 on: 29 May 2014, 10:10 pm »
How much can you overlap the drivers and still be able to put the braces of the H between them?

If you put a full brace between them then the frame itself is only really edge to edge just like with the Super-V: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

If you build a U shaped stand with the drivers on the outside using two on one side and one on the other then you can overlap them a lot.

ebag4

« Reply #143 on: 31 May 2014, 12:01 am »
Danny, Are you high-passing the LGK MMTMM?  The reason I ask is because I have the option to high-pass the input to my amp using a .047 Sonicap Platinum which I believe results in the amp outputting ~140 HZ and up.  It seems doing the high-pass at the preamp level would be preferable to doing it in the crossover.  What are you thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #144 on: 31 May 2014, 05:19 am »
Danny, Are you high-passing the LGK MMTMM?  The reason I ask is because I have the option to high-pass the input to my amp using a .047 Sonicap Platinum which I believe results in the amp outputting ~140 HZ and up.  It seems doing the high-pass at the preamp level would be preferable to doing it in the crossover.  What are you thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

Yep, that is what I am doing with these. Works great too...

ebag4

« Reply #145 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:59 pm »
Hi Danny, appears we are waiting on flatpack pricing.  It occurred to me that it might be cool to get a price (for the baffle only) from the aluminati guys, they do incredible work from what I have seen and I wouldn't think a small baffle would be too expensive.  Of course they would have to have a means to connect it to the rest of the speaker, this could likely be accomplished with threads for 4 bolts at the bottom of the baffle, for the wings they may be able to cut an angled groove.  An anodized baffle could look cool.

Just a thought.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #146 on: 2 Jun 2014, 10:58 pm »
Hi Danny, appears we are waiting on flatpack pricing.  It occurred to me that it might be cool to get a price (for the baffle only) from the aluminati guys, they do incredible work from what I have seen and I wouldn't think a small baffle would be too expensive.  Of course they would have to have a means to connect it to the rest of the speaker, this could likely be accomplished with threads for 4 bolts at the bottom of the baffle, for the wings they may be able to cut an angled groove.  An anodized baffle could look cool.

Just a thought.

Best,
Ed

Working on it.

ebag4

« Reply #147 on: 3 Jun 2014, 12:48 am »
Working on it.
Cool, thanks.  It seemed like a good idea to me, however seeing the lack of response there may not be enough interest to make it worth while, a one off would probably make it a fairly expensive proposition.  I guess we will find out!

Thanks again,
Ed

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #148 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:03 am »
Obligatory post to show interest in a turn-key MMTMM flatpak kit.   :)

simoon

« Reply #149 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:49 am »
Obligatory post to show interest in a turn-key MMTMM flatpak kit.   :)

Right there with you!

hifibuff

« Reply #150 on: 3 Jun 2014, 05:56 am »
I think there will be a lot of interest in the MMTMM flat pack once a price range is established. I, myself an interested, but deciding on a woofer set up. For woofers on the cheap, I liked the idea of the dual V2 woofers per channel with possibly PE plate amp with bass boost at 30hz or 35hz. This would make an entry level speaker. Finances are rough this year.

lord dubious

« Reply #151 on: 3 Jun 2014, 08:51 am »
Hi All
I really like the idea of the open baffle mmtmm.  Firstly because Danny said it sounds good (and his track record speaks for itself).  Secondly, it should be very reasonably priced.  Thirdly, I like the idea of something that is far more efficient than usual.  However, the drivers are tiny and I wonder how this configuration would go in a larger room (supplemented with subs of course).  The mmtmmwwwwwww might be the go, even though I would prefer a single tower of drivers per channel.  Any thoughts?
Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #152 on: 3 Jun 2014, 02:43 pm »
A flat pack will be part of the kit with these.

I am going to offer the MMTMM that you can sit on top of anything. This will allow for a lot of different low end solutions at different price points.

Secondly is the MMTMM with 9 of the LGK's in a line below it. Flat packs will also be sold with the kits for that one.

Lastly will be the full array version. And again, flat pack kits will be available. 

rak313

« Reply #153 on: 3 Jun 2014, 04:26 pm »
Assuming the kit and a pair of 8" OB servos for below 200Hz, how does one drive it?  I'm assuming the kit will include roll off below 200 Hz and can be directly plugged into a full range amp.  Then do the servos take a (full bandwidth) pre-amp out, and set the servo amp's LPF to 200 Hz?

Sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it.

Rick
(happy owner of a pair of LS-6 and LS-C)

Danny Richie

« Reply #154 on: 3 Jun 2014, 05:09 pm »
Assuming the kit and a pair of 8" OB servos for below 200Hz, how does one drive it?  I'm assuming the kit will include roll off below 200 Hz and can be directly plugged into a full range amp.  Then do the servos take a (full bandwidth) pre-amp out, and set the servo amp's LPF to 200 Hz?

Sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it.

Rick
(happy owner of a pair of LS-6 and LS-C)

The MMTMM or any larger variation can easily be high passed (filtered) with an inline filter in the RCA line. Where the attenuation for each model needs to be will vary based on model and the cap value for the inline filter will vary with the input impedance of your amp.

An inexpensive Sonicap Gen.2 cap can be used: http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

Or Sonicap Platinum's for more serious applications:  http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_platinum.htm

Then a full range signal can be sent to the servo amps. They will easily handle what goes to the lows.

simoon

« Reply #155 on: 3 Jun 2014, 06:07 pm »
A flat pack will be part of the kit with these.

I am going to offer the MMTMM that you can sit on top of anything. This will allow for a lot of different low end solutions at different price points.

Secondly is the MMTMM with 9 of the LGK's in a line below it. Flat packs will also be sold with the kits for that one.

Lastly will be the full array version. And again, flat pack kits will be available.

This will be great!

Now, for the next obvious question...

What is the time frame for availability?

Danny Richie

« Reply #156 on: 3 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »

This will be great!

Now, for the next obvious question...

What is the time frame for availability?

ASAP...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #157 on: 3 Jun 2014, 09:45 pm »
Danny,

Any idea how the LGK/Neo3 MMTMM's will compare with the M165NQ/AMT OB designs you were talking about? Consider both are mated to dual driver 12" OB servo subs.

rak313

« Reply #158 on: 3 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm »
The MMTMM or any larger variation can easily be high passed (filtered) with an inline filter in the RCA line. Where the attenuation for each model needs to be will vary based on model and the cap value for the inline filter will vary with the input impedance of your amp.

An inexpensive Sonicap Gen.2 cap can be used: http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

Or Sonicap Platinum's for more serious applications:  http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_platinum.htm

Then a full range signal can be sent to the servo amps. They will easily handle what goes to the lows.

If I read you correctly, the kit will not include the high pass filter, and you are suggesting a 6 dB/oct inline R-C high pass filter between the preamp out and the amplifier input. With the R being the amp input impedance.

What is the Low pass filter slope in the servo amp,  6dB or 12 dB? I know its frequency is variable.

Danny Richie

« Reply #159 on: 3 Jun 2014, 11:08 pm »
Danny,

Any idea how the LGK/Neo3 MMTMM's will compare with the M165NQ/AMT OB designs you were talking about? Consider both are mated to dual driver 12" OB servo subs.

Hard to say. I still await getting the latest AMT driver.