le Amp review update

Standeman

le Amp review update
« on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:55 am »
Hi, I'm malando's mate (the lucky guy to who got to use the amps and not pay for them). I've just read my review. The original text was not intended for publication so I might have chosen my words a bit better had I known at the time.

You may need some context to interpret what I have said.

First I own six of the original le Amps (having upgraded from Marantz monoblocks). The set up is primarily High end home theatre but it doubles as a pretty useful hi fi in stereo mode.

The sound of the amps in my system as reported is accurate (actually slightly better with another 20 hours on the clock before I sent them onto Mal's removalists).

The issue with the low pass filters will be familiar to anyone who subscribes to the Richard Hardesty theory of high end hi fi (Mal and I definitely do. Check out his audio perfectionist site for more info). I believe that Michael Barnes may have some slightly different views but vive le difference!

Are the le Amp 11's a break through product? On a price/performance basis most probably. Performance wise they are better than the original le Amps (more lateral and back to front depth, more air in the higher frequencies, smoother in the middle and the bass is well in control - but sounds better with the Hardesty approach).

I notices a slight hum in the speakers that is not apparent in the original le Amps but I have long interconnect runs and you have to put your ears close to the speaker to hear it (besides the le Amp 11 caters for balanced inputs so this should not be a problem even in the largest room with less than ideal runs)

Aesthetics: well maybe I was a bit harsh as I have a problem with equipment that draws attention to itself (particularly in a HT environment). Give me a back face plate and a barely perceptible on light and I'm happy. In anycase I preferred the look of the later version original le Amp (low emission blue led, black face plate)

A couple of final comments: the units are surprisingly small and light weight given the amount of clean power they generate. They do run a bit warmer than anything I have had in the past but it has fairly hefty heatsinks that take care of the bulk of heat emmission.

In closing the le Amp 11s are good enough for me to consider upgrading. Damn that Mr Barnes, coming from the computer industry he doesn't think twice about  constant upgrading of models. The bank manager doesn't seem to mind because Norh always gives good value but the better half can't understand why I am constantly replacing boxes.

Just a final point. I note that Michael Barnes has been taking a bit of a hiding recently on the net. Frankly he brings it onto himself as he does come across as an over opinionated, abrasive Yank, but to be fair in my experience anything he has claimed is generally on the money. Maybe if he took a lower profile and let his excellent products do the talking his life would be easier.

ABEX

le Amp review update
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:08 am »
Pretty concise and to the point. Hope to hear some soon.

Thx!

djklmnop

le Amp review update
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:39 am »
How much did the shipping cost?  I figured that since the amps are lighter than the original LAs, shipping should come out to be less.

Andy

Cazza

my 2c worth
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2003, 08:19 am »
Intitial impressions of the Le AMPII
I have had the pleasure of enjoying my newly acquired LE AMPII for 3 day's now. While I have not had time to seriously sit down and listen to them, I have had enough time to form my opinion of them, hence this post.

Physical appearence

The LE AMPII’ s I received  are beautifully made.  The first thing that caught my eye was the faceplate. It is very solid, about 5mm thick. I like the brushed look. The connectors, heat sinks and overall feel of the amp all point to a very good quality product (although I am not an electrical engineer, I work for a supplier of HW and a number of my collegues had a closer look at the units. They were all impressed).  It is a bit lighter than I expected. I have not opened the casing to look at the insides and probably won’t do that either. Personally, I think they look great, but, hey, that is an opinion.

Performance

Let me start by saying that I am very,very  pleased and impressed with this product. Like the ACA2b, it has proven to be an excellent purchase and well worth the long wait. To get a product of this quality at such a price point is absolutely amazing.

A few years ago, while I was still in Europe, I purchased a set KEF reference 2 speakers. It took me about 6 months of researching and listening before I bought them. Was the best set I could get for my budget. They sounded absolutely wonderful in the studio but I just have not been able to reproduce this at home. While these speakers are known to be very musical and natural sounding, you definitely need a very good amp to bring out their full capabilities. The KEFs are inefficient 4 Ohm speakers and I have been told that the impedance drops around the mid-bass region. Using a 100W amp just did not cut the mustard and  they often sounded a bit flat, missed bass to the extent that they even become quite irritating to listen to.  This is why I wanted the LE AMPII’s.

Integrating the LE AMPII's into my system has had exactly the result I was hoping for. The LE AMP’s are able to handle this difficult speaker superbly. The bass is more extended and present without loosing any of the detail in the mid and highs(something I have always enjoyed from the KEF range). The  ACA2b now complimented with the LE AMPII's has made everything sound so clean and smoothe with amazing detail and a wonderful tonal balance. It is an absolute pleasure to sit down enjoy listening  to some of my old favourite CD's, even my wife commented which is saying something.  I find that even at every low volumes, the sound quality remains good. There is no doubt  LE AMPII’s have shifted the KEF’s up a gear. I have never heard the LE AMP’s so am not in the position to compare them, but certainly for me the LE AMPII’s have hit the mark. Great product Norh.

cookie

What is the size and weight of Le amp 2
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2003, 04:46 pm »
What is the size and weight of le amp 2.  There is no details in the web site.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: What is the size and weight of Le amp 2
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2003, 05:11 pm »
Quote from: cookie
What is the size and weight of le amp 2.  There is no details in the web site.

here are the dimensions - someone provide the weight

h14 w21.5 d30 cms

guest1632

Re: my 2c worth
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2003, 07:36 am »
Quote from: Cazza
Intitial impressions of the Le AMPII
I have had the pleasure of enjoying my newly acquired LE AMPII for 3 day's now. While I have not had time to seriously sit down and listen to them, I have had enough time to form my opinion of them, hence this post.

Physical appearence

The LE AMPII’ s I received  are beautifully made.  The first thing that caught my eye was the faceplate. It is very solid, about 5mm thick. I like the brushed look. The connectors, heat sinks and overal ...
:D

Cazza

le Amp review update
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2003, 12:31 pm »
Weight: I need to disconnect them first to wiegh them - will do this tommorrow and post the weight.

Tube rolling: No , I am still using the originals - Any recommendations?

Cazza

le Amp review update
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2003, 09:25 pm »
Weigh LE AMPII = 7 KGs give or take a bit as I am not sure how accurate my scale is at those weights.

Standeman

le Amp review update
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2003, 06:19 am »
Three more of malando's amps have just been delivered to my office for transhipment, so I assume that the backlog is getting cleared.

Cheers Mal, they are on their way.

As a new member of this forum I have just spent an idle lunch hour reading some of the earlier post under various subject headings under the nOrh banner. Boy, what has Mr Barne's done to piss some people off?

For the record the six original le amps that I own and the 3 nOhr subwoofers were delivered within days of ordering to two seperate international locations that I am/was living (Malaysia and Dubai respectively) at various times over the last three years. The service has been impecable and the products have lived up to the claims made. As and when the need arises I will be a repeat customer.

Hopefully, now that the le Amp 11s are getting delivered in some numbers the crap will stop.....or am I missing the point and have some people never has so much fun?

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: my 2c worth
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2003, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk
Perhaps we have no cure for aides, because its inventor was aborted.

or, mebbe, we'd all be dead from plague or overpopulation or ?  if all those aborted had lived...

please keep yer reactionary garbage outta this forum, or at least restrict it to the fight club.   :evil:

Johng316

le Amp review update
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2003, 04:48 pm »
Doug:  It was a signature, not a post.  You could simply ignore the signature.  If you want to pick a fight, you know where to go.

John G

doug s.

• makin' music
le Amp review update
« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2003, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: Johng316
Doug:  It was a signature, not a post.  You could simply ignore the signature.  If you want to pick a fight, you know where to go.

John G

signatures like that should not be allowed in this forum.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
le Amp review update
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2003, 05:55 pm »
Better grow a thicker skin, Doug.  There's nothing remotely offensive about the sig.  You're been a little too sensitive, IMOHO.

I've never met someone to whom the idea of not aborting fetuses was offensive! :o   Guess it takes all kinds.

doug s.

• makin' music
le Amp review update
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2003, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I've never met someone to whom the idea of not aborting fetuses was offensive! :o   Guess it takes all kinds.

well, since someting like 2/3 of the usa population believes in a woman's right to choose, i guess ya don't get out much, eh?   :roll:

doug s.

Marbles

le Amp review update
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2003, 07:12 pm »
Quote from: doug s.

well, since someting like 2/3 of the usa population believes in a woman's right to choose, i guess ya don't get out much, eh?   :roll:

doug s.

Doug,  many of us beleive in a womens right to chose, yet we still find the act of abortion to be offensive, or at least disgusting.

How do you feel about the actual act, as apposed to the right to chose to have or not the act?

I beleive in the right to chose and still felt no problem with his signature...don't sweat the small stuff like his position, his signature won't change anyone's opinion...

Sorry to hijack this thread even more than it already was.

Now what's this about a hum? Is it a ground loop or a high noise floor?

I have to say I did not notice a high noise floor in the prototypes at the MAF.

doug s.

• makin' music
le Amp review update
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2003, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Doug,  many of us beleive in a womens right to chose, yet we still find the act of abortion to be offensive, or at least disgusting.

How do you feel about the actual act, as apposed to the right to chose to have or not the act?

certainly the act of abortion is not pretty.  but, it is not *nearly* as offensive as such an in-your-face attempt to condemn & judge those who choose to have one.  it's a personal choice, & completely off-topic in an audio forum.

ymmv,

doug s.,
going to war over religion is like going to war over who has the best imaginary friend...   :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
le Amp review update
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2003, 10:37 pm »
Doug, did you actually read his sig before you got your panties in a twist?  It reads merely, "Perhaps we have no cure for aides, because its inventor was aborted."  Where is there any judgement or condemnation of anything?

I guess it's best if we leave the judgements and condemnations to you. :wink:

I guess we're really veering off topic now, but since nothing on topic ever occurs here anymore, maybe it's not such a bad ting, er, thing. :P

malando

le Amp review update
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2003, 11:19 pm »
yes, what about the hum. From memory Standeman has interconnects about 8M long, maybe emi assuming its 50hz. And..... grounding is notoriously bad in Asian houses.
Anyway, Ill have em in my hot little hands inside 4 weeks.. let the fun begin.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
le Amp review update
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2003, 11:20 pm »
Doug, did you actually read his sig before you got your panties in a twist?  It reads merely, "Perhaps we have no cure for aides, because its inventor was aborted."  

I guess it's best if we leave the judgements and condemnations to you. :wink:

You`ll have to forgive him Rob, he`s been into some bad tuna. :o Allot of that's been going around lately. :lol: Regards, Robin