Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #40 on: 9 Nov 2007, 10:58 pm »
Howard-
It depends on what you considered star wired.  We have seen many applications over the years labeled as "star wired" and it's not.  Star wiring means you have 5 wires per duplex outlet.  1 wire is earth, 2 wires are hot (1 wired to the bottom screw and 1 wired to the top screw), and 2 wires are neutral (same wire design).  We have seen many descriptions of star wiring, one example is to run one pair to duplex 1 and another pair to duplex 2.  This design is for isolation, not star wiring.  Star wiring is used to lower the ringing of the duplex.

The PE cancels out stray inductance.  The PE will change the sound to reflect a neutral (flat) presentation.

I believe you are asking about the sonic difference with a star wire, well that is the best of both worlds, the PE will be placed in series and parallel.  This will offer a little more neutral presentation with very good bass extension and punch.  When Alan does professional installs he uses star wire geometries.  Highly recommended to lower impedance.

denjo

« Reply #41 on: 10 Nov 2007, 02:19 am »
Hi Jen

Really good to see here at AudioCircle! I think many of us will benefit from your posts.

I am using a Hydra-8 (8 outlets). The PE II is plugged into the first outlet (usually considered the best for amplifiers). Because of the length of the PE II, it blocks the 2nd outlet. The 3rd outlet feeds my amplifier, the 4th a CIAudio Humbuster with two outlets, feeding my digital source. The 5th outlet feeds a Power Wedge (with another 6 outlets!).

How do I orientate the PE II? Since the Hydra outlets are sideways (not up or down), how should the PE II b orientated?

Best Regards
Dennis

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #42 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:34 am »
In situations where the PE can not be installed directly a jumper cord can be used.  First try a standard 2 prong extension cord.  I don't advise the use of a 3 prong cord because the ground wire will couple to the parallel capacitance inside the cable geometry.  If that happens the interaction will create a choke effect and roll off most of the PE's ringing character. 

Note: The choke effect is the same reason why we don't recommend ERS or carbon fiber to be used anywhere near the PE or other types of parallel filters. 

Some PLC manufactures roll capacitors in ERS, this is considered a big no no, all that does is roll off the natural ringing frequency of the capacitor.  It is the ringing frequency that creates the crossover effect to naturally filter out noise in that particular frequency band.  The same is true when transformers are wrapped and the phase is shifted by increased magnetic fields.  Damping the frequency shifts the operational band of the part.  All of these components are designed to work within a certain parameter, changing the frequency renders the part useless for it's original intention.  The choke effect creates harmonic notches (peak and dip odd harmonic frequencies) all over the place and it's very difficult to bring the harmonic balance back.  Basically once the frequency is shifted it's gone forever, all we can do is install tweaks as a band-aid and hope for the best.  The PE can help by removing the stray inductance created by these magnetic products.  As soon as the choke effect/inductance is removed the attached component will respond more efficiently.  The amount of PE's required will depend on the level of damage that has been done to the odd harmonic frequencies.  Start with one PE plugged into the back of the BPT, wait several days and add the second filter in the next duplex over, wait several days again and add the third, and so on.  Don't rush this part because you are trying to find the proper balance of parallel capacitance vs. inductance on the output.  We have been known at times to have up to 15 PE's installed on the balanced output, but most of them are wired into the component power supply.  After 9 on the balanced output we discovered a special y-cap was needed because we tipped the balance of capacitance vs. inductance too much.  Alan configured 3 PE filters to create a matching y-cap.  This did the trick and it was the best sound the NBT transformer ever produced.  If anyone ever finds themselves installing too many on the output let us know and we'll put together a y-version for your set up.  We try to avoid running inductance to earth, but some applications require more filtering than others.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #43 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:46 am »
It is great if you remove the earth ground.  Read my post up top.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #44 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:50 am »
Robin, you should never hacksaw the ground pin.  Insurance companies frown on those sort of things.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #45 on: 10 Nov 2007, 10:10 am »
How about just using an ordinary ole' run of the mill extension cord :D

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #46 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:52 am »
OK guys, the upcoming batch of filters are sold out (Thank you Robin).  I have placed a new order for parts, but the orders will not be filled until the middle of December after Alan comes off the road for the year.  I will hold off taking pre-orders toward the mid December shipment until Dec 1.  Thank you for your patience.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #47 on: 10 Nov 2007, 04:52 pm »
Robin....

I'm just not being that "slap in the face" clarity and sharpness that tends to create listening fatigue when listening at high volumes for extended lengths of time.
Isn't that bad for your hearing ? ......high volumes - extended lengths of time.... :scratch:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #48 on: 10 Nov 2007, 05:07 pm »
Rock On Robin !!! :rock:  :guitar:  :drums:  :guitar:

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #49 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:39 pm »
Keith-
The hot and neutral should be wired into the bottom receptacle.  No wires should be wired into the top receptacle.  All PE treated outlet should be wired the same way.

Huck

« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov 2007, 10:43 pm »
Keith-
The hot and neutral should be wired into the bottom receptacle.  No wires should be wired into the top receptacle.  All PE treated outlet should be wired the same way.

Thanks Jen: I think that was what I was trying to get at from my last couple of posts, I thought! Thanks,Keith :scratch:

95bcwh

« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:02 pm »
I thought of something that may solve all the confusions :green: :green:

Instead of using the wall duplex, what if i use a power strip like this...

then i probably don't have to worry how the wiring is done inside my wall outlet. There're plenty of receptacles on the power strip for me to pick, in series or in parallel..

What say you? :green: :green:
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2007, 12:31 am by 95bcwh »

95bcwh

« Reply #52 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:30 am »
No..if you plug both your component and the PE on the power strip, it doesn't matter how your wall receptacle is wired.

You may need to worry how the power strip is wired though, but I cannot imagine any company that makes power strip will wire the hot/neutral to the receptacle furthest away from the cord. :lol: :lol:

By the way, I'm not recommending any particular brand of power strip... heck..I don't have and never intend to buy Monster's stuff..

Hi: Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything here about this power-strip, cause I don't really know, so maybe this is for my own knowledge! Let's say that your receptacle is wired "wrong", then once you plug the power strip into it, doesn't that make the power strip  "wrong" also, just by virtue of plugging it into the "wired wrong" duplex??! Huck

95bcwh

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:51 am »
What 8 outlet Fuman??? How much do they sell for?

No..if you plug both your component and the PE on the power strip, it doesn't matter how your wall receptacle is wired.

You may need to worry how the power strip is wired though, but I cannot imagine any company that makes power strip will wire the hot/neutral to the receptacle furthest away from the cord. :lol: :lol:

By the way, I'm not recommending any particular brand of power strip... heck..I don't have and never intend to buy Monster's stuff..

Nor am I. I got them back when I use to own Bose & Yamaha. But when I'm in need of outlets for my video stuff, I run what I brung.  :D  I'll shortly be upgrading to an 8 outlet Fuman and these strips will go back in the closet,,, just so I can have everything under the PE/BPT influence.

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #54 on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:43 am »
i would recommend a power strip w/no conditioning whatsoever.  i have never tried a cheap surge-suppressor type device that didn't suck the dynamics & detail out of revealing audio equipment.  and, in your case, you awreddy have plenty of conditioning.  i would check out something more along the lines of this.  (there are plenty of others, both more & less expensive):

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=533-8891&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=J08B2B&R=533%2D8891&sid=4734F4805B77E17F#

doug s.

Furman PST-8 8-Outlet Advanced Surge Strip from PartsExpress for $135

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs

95bcwh

« Reply #56 on: 11 Nov 2007, 01:52 pm »
What's wrong with a $5 power strip from Walmart???  :lol: :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #57 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:27 pm »

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=816-0490&SEARCH=&MPN=1584T4DH6&DESC=1584T4DH6&R=816%2D0490&sid=469D58003FC617F#

Excellent option for non-filtered power strips.

John McDonald (Audience) and a Jack Roberts' Dagogo review recommended this non-filtered power strip.  It has no circuit breaker inline (Jen's recommended one does, but maybe it's a moot point?), is copper non-magnetic, etc.  Is it overkill at $350?

http://www.thecablepro.com/cableDetail.php?cID=114&cgID=1

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #58 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:36 pm »
YES!!!   :wink:

doug s.
...Is it overkill at $350?...

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #59 on: 12 Nov 2007, 01:02 pm »
The wife asked me to stop by....WOW....11 pages???  What's up with that???  Does anyone have any questions on the product?

Regards,
Alan Maher

Alan Maher Designs
http://www.alanmaherdesigns.com