One more week of patience...

Guy 13

Re: One more week of patience...
« Reply #100 on: 31 May 2014, 03:42 am »
Output transformer. The tech that made the amp for you can recommend a suited model etc

When you go listening the HE400 you must take along the Crack amp again.
Its a great opportunity to listening both the Crack amp and the low imp planar HE400.
You even may like this nice pair w/the OTL.

Thanks for the info.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #101 on: 1 Jun 2014, 02:12 am »

Hi all.
Yesterday, I went to Camera Phuoc the official importer/retailer for Bayerdynamic.
Camera Phuoc is more or less a competitor on mine, but he’s in the professional video equipment business and I am in the professional photo equipment supply, minds you, we also offer a limited range of video items. Anyway…
Upon arrival in that, as small as my showroom, but much nicer and more stocked than mine showroom, the top model style (Holly macro…) receptionist greeted me with some kind of poker face, I asked her about the headphones and she mumble to me : Yes we have those.
Then, I had to ask her if she could smile, really, I did and she showed me what was supposed to be a smile, but to me look more like an angry face, that typical from the people from the North of Vietnam working in the South.
Anyway, a smiling male salesman came up to me and offer to help me.
He had on demo the DT-880 (250 Ohms) and the DT-990 (250 Ohms) and may other models, but those are the two models that I wanted to audition. He set up was a laptop with FLAC files downloaded from the Vietnamese Internet, which means poor quality and what look like a DAC/headphone amplifier, a Samson brand with several headphones outputs.

I am sure that little box did not do justice to the headphone, but had the advantage to being able to switch within 3-5 seconds between the DT-880/990/HD-650 that I brought as a reference.
My first impression on the DT-880 is that they are comfortable, but my ears are touching something inside and they feel big, too big, like I have put some kind of tin can over my hears.
The sound at first was thin, almost cavernous…
But after a while I realize that it was brighter than my HD650, I did a rapid switch between the DT880 and HD650 and it confirmed my thoughts.
The HD650 is darker, but the bass is better and overall, the HD650 seems to do a better job.
Also one thing about the HD650 they are more comfortable, like if your ears were a little baby pampered by her loving mother. They have a tight fit around the ears and I prefer that to the more or less loose fit of the DT880.
Now, I tried the DT-990 same as above but to me a little better of/on everything, except again for the fit over the ears.
Switching from the DT-990 ad the HD650 made me like both, they both have their plus and minus.

I have eliminated the HD-880 and compared the 990 to the 650.
Comfort: HD-650 is the winner by a lot.
Bass: HD-650 wins again, but the DT990 is not far behind.
Mids: More or less equal.
The HD650 is dark and the DT990 sound a little cavernous, but brighter.
Hi: Very different sound between the two.
The DT990 is brighter with what seems to be more details, more sparkle, the HD650 is very good in the highs, but again dark.
Even if my listening experience at Camera Phuoc showroom is better (Less ambient noise, but less quality source and amplification) than the listening session I had at Sennheirser showroom, I would love to bring the DT990 at home to do a more extensive listening with MY Crack and MY Rega Apollo CD player in an almost dead quiet listening room.
One other thing: The 600 Ohms version is a special order; he will tell me how much time it can take to get them.
Now, the shocking news !
The price: The sales man told me that the price of the DT990 is 4,490,000 Vietnamese dollars, which comes down in real money to 212 USD, I told the salesman that he had make a mistake since the DT990 are advertised on Amazon at 379 USD, I told him that he had made a mistake when doing the conversion from Vietnamese Dong to US dollars. I told him to check again.
Yes, it’s really 212 USD.
I’ve asked him why is that?
Because they are the official importer/retailer.
That was a pleasant surprise.
Plus a two years warranty.
Now, he told me that the 600 Ohms version is a little more expensive, he will get back to me in a few days with availability and price.
Almost forgot about the sound stage, well, nothing much to say about that, very narrow and all.
I am happy that I went there to audition the DT-880/990.
I am still not decided… ???
On Monday, I have an audition at the HiFiMan/Audeze’s showroom.
After that, I will have to take/make a difficult decision, because right now, I am loosing sleep over that decision.
One thing is sure, the Sennheiser HD-700/800 have been eliminated from my wish list. I have to try the HD-600, but I am reluctant because I think I will be loosing my time.
I will get back to you sometime next week.
Stay close by, don’t go far away…

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #102 on: 1 Jun 2014, 02:23 am »
Hi all.
For about a year now, I have been reading tons of reviews from reviewers
and owners about different make and type of headphones.
Many 5 stars products and a few 3 to 1 stars of the same products.
Some love them, some hate them.
How can that be ?
For me no products deserve only one star.
I think owners give them only a one star rating, because they've experienced a defective unit and the products is far from what they have expected.
Like me with my HD-650. It's not what I want, but I would still give them 5 stars.
It's not because they don't produce the sound a want and like, that they are no good, I can still say that they are good on comfort, sound, look and even price, but they lack what is important to me, liveness.
I think 75% of the people like the same type of sound and the remianing of 25% have different taste when it comes to comfort, sound stage, look and of course sound.
Thank God where are luck to have so many headphone manufacturers and model to choose from.
There is one pair of headphonmes that would make me happy and not only me, lots of other persons, it's the Stax SR009, but at 5,000 USD heaphones only, it's a dream, that will only come reality if my wife wins the lottery.
Well, back to my dreams and evaluation.

Guy 13 

Rocket

« Reply #103 on: 1 Jun 2014, 03:35 am »
Hi Guy,

My wife and I have Australian accents which are not strong but we also don't sound British either. This is a funny audio site as it really is mainly US focused but is actually owned by an australian :D. Totally jet lagged at the moment and we are in Hoi An for a week.

That is a fantastic price on the the still 990's which retail for $399au in australia.  I'll bring my portable system over and my new AIAIAI tma - 1's for a listen.  Ill pm you in a couple of days for contact details.

Cheers rod

Guy 13

« Reply #104 on: 1 Jun 2014, 06:04 am »
Hi Guy,

My wife and I have Australian accents which are not strong but we also don't sound British either. This is a funny audio site as it really is mainly US focused but is actually owned by an australian :D. Totally jet lagged at the moment and we are in Hoi An for a week.

That is a fantastic price on the the still 990's which retail for $399au in australia.  I'll bring my portable system over and my new AIAIAI tma - 1's for a listen.  Ill pm you in a couple of days for contact details.

Cheers rod

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2014, 01:52 pm by Guy 13 »

Guy 13

« Reply #105 on: 1 Jun 2014, 02:41 pm »
Someday, if you're really lucky you will discover that correcting the plain, ordinary frequency response of a headphone will greatly increase the realism and soundstage. And also improve the detail. The theoretically perfect (high fidelity) sound will not cause objections (1-star reviews) in reviewers because there are no humps or peaks that just happen to *coincide* with the same emphasis in those reviewers' hearing. So even though "we all hear differently", if our headphone sounds like reality (neutral) it should be a 5-star rating.

Hi dalethorn.
(( Someday, if you're really lucky ))
Don't you know that I was born on a Friday 13th,
which means I am bad lucky ! :cry:
As my avatar says: Audio should be simple
and that why I have a SET amplifier
and a crossoverless extended range driver.
I don't like to modify and add electronic to the circuit or equipment.
Therefore, I have to live with what I have and or what I will purchase.
I have to live with that, because that's how I am.
I know, I should stop complaining, but I am not complaining, I am exchanging thoughts, opinions, etc...
Thanks for your comments, who knows,
maybe one day I will change my mind,
Like they say:
Only the crazy never change their mind and I am not crazy,
well not yet or maybe just a little... :lol:

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #106 on: 1 Jun 2014, 10:16 pm »
Very classy posts Guy.
Congrats

dB Cooper

« Reply #107 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:48 pm »
Output transformer. The tech that made the amp for you can recommend a suited model etc

When you go listening the HE400 you must take along the Crack amp again.
Its a great opportunity to listening both the Crack amp and the low imp planar HE400.
You even may like this nice pair w/the OTL.
What the... An output impedance of 120 ohms OTL tube amp into a 32 ohm current hungry planar is a recipe for double digit distortion. Due to the flat impedance of the planar magnetic drivers you will probably be spared the wild frequency response variations that you would experience with a typical moving coil driver, but current delivery is not the forte of tube circuits under the best of circumstances. I would advise against it.

As for the marketability of the Crack, you live in Planet Vietnam and you found out about it and obtained one. So it can be done. If you decide to sell it, it may just be a question of connecting with the right buyer. If you do that, the buyer at least won't have to figure out how the hell to get it into the country like you did. You never know!

Hope your search for headphone bliss is short and successful, Guy13. I am much happier with my 650's than you have been (could the amps have anything to do with it?), but there are times when I want something a little different; kinda like when there's this great restaurant you love but sometimes you want a change of pace, you know? This 'restlessness' is much easier to indulge on the 'cans' side than with speakers, for obvious reasons.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #108 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:59 pm »
So the OPT is the only way to go at this point of the road.
I sure there is one OPT in US to fit the Crack.
It would be too bad to sell the Crack, as the SQ results are great.

Guy 13

« Reply #109 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:23 am »
So the OPT is the only way to go at this point of the road.
I sure there is one OPT in US to fit the Crack.
It would be too bad to sell the Crack, as the SQ results are great.
Hi FULLRANGMAN.
I really don't want to modify my Crack and I don't think I will let it go at a lost.
That being said, I'm still looking for a headphone that is better suited for my audio preference.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #110 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:31 am »
Hi FULLRANGMAN.
I really don't want to modify my Crack and I don't think I will let it go at a lost.
That being said, I'm still looking for a headphone that is better suited for my audio preference.

Guy 13
This limit you to dymamic drivers 300 to 600 ohms, the usual Beyer, AKG, Sennheisers etc

Guy 13

« Reply #111 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:36 am »
What the... An output impedance of 120 ohms OTL tube amp into a 32 ohm current hungry planar is a recipe for double digit distortion. Due to the flat impedance of the planar magnetic drivers you will probably be spared the wild frequency response variations that you would experience with a typical moving coil driver, but current delivery is not the forte of tube circuits under the best of circumstances. I would advise against it.

As for the marketability of the Crack, you live in Planet Vietnam and you found out about it and obtained one. So it can be done. If you decide to sell it, it may just be a question of connecting with the right buyer. If you do that, the buyer at least won't have to figure out how the hell to get it into the country like you did. You never know!

Hope your search for headphone bliss is short and successful, Guy13. I am much happier with my 650's than you have been (could the amps have anything to do with it?), but there are times when I want something a little different; kinda like when there's this great restaurant you love but sometimes you want a change of pace, you know? This 'restlessness' is much easier to indulge on the 'cans' side than with speakers, for obvious reasons.

Ho no, not you again! :lol:
It's a joke, I have to practice my joke repertoire, otherwise I will be bad at telling jokes.
I know, many AC members think I am already bad at telling jokes or if I put it differently, I am very good at telling bad jokes.
O.K. let's start again. :thumb:
Hi dB Cooper.
I will follow you advice and not use the Crack to drive orthos.
The problem here on planet Vietnam is that if you order anything under your personal name. you will be hit with a 45 to 55% custom tax. Yes, you read correctly 45 to 55% and they know the value of things, because they have a team that look on the Internet to find the list price and tax you accordingly.
For me it was different, my wife's aunt brought it as personal belonging, therefore no tax, no transport.
I am 99.99999% sure that my Crack is fine.
Thanks for your advice, this afternoon, I will be going to the HiFiMan/Woo Audio dealer to hear what is the rave about orthos...
After that, I would like to audition the HD-600 and (Again) the DT990, then I will decide, I definitely wants to keep my Crack, I like the glow of the tubes and it looks nice with my Decware, etc...

Guy 13 

Guy 13

« Reply #112 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:38 am »
This limit you to dymamic drivers 300 to 600 ohms, the usual Beyer, AKG, Sennheisers etc
Hi FULLRANGMAN.
Yes, I know that.
I will see in 5 hours from now what deal the HiFiMan dealer can offer me.
AKG is out of the picture, no authorized dealer on planet Vietnam.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #113 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:38 am »
Very classy posts Guy.
Congrats

THANKS !

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #114 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:06 pm »

Hi all.
Today was my last day searching for a pair of headphones that would put back on my face my famous big Guy 13 smile?
This afternoon I went to the HiFiMan authorized dealer.
Upon arrival, I was surprise to see how many different makes of headphones that store carries.
Fostex, Philips, Stax, Sony, Skullcandy, Ultrasone and more of absolutely unknown makes… even Sennheiser and of course HiFiMan.
I’ve listen to the HE-400 with a Lovely Cube ss amplifier, yes, that the name of the amplifier, its hand made in Hong Kong.
With one input and one output (As a pre-amplifier) and two headphones output, all that for 350 USD
and it’s really well made and look nice.
Of course, the source was a laptop with FLAC files;
I am not sure what was the DAC.
As of now, I am not impressed with the SQ of such source,
I prefer by far the good old CD or vinyl.
First impression:
Fit: I would say between the BD DT-990 (Not too good)
and the HD-650 very (Read: Extremely) good.
They had the vinyl type ear pad, not bad,
but I would have preferred my ears surrounding to be pampered with velour.
They are heavier than the DT-990 and the HD-650,
but not too heavy and still fairly comfortable.
They are big; to me they look well constructed with some features that I don’t like too much,
like the individual screw type connectors
and some other minor things.
The cable looks a little too rigid to my taste.
Now the most important, the sound.
Since the amplifier had two jacks, one for the HE400
and one for the HD650 it was easy for me two go from one to the other within a few seconds or within my brain buffer which is limited to 5 seconds.
The HE400 sound bigger, more impressive, depending on the type and quality of recording.
The bass is good, the highs are also clear.
Overall sound is good but switching from one to the other,
believe me or not, I think I prefer the sound of the HD650.
The bass of the HD650 is very good and the mids and highs are not as bad as I (Often) said they were.
One thing that I have to mention again is the comfort of the HD650 it’s like getting your ears surrounded but the two soft hands of a super top model.
It’s like the headphones squeeze gently your ears all around.
The price for the combo HE400 and the Lovely Cube amplifier is 700 USD, not bad, but my combo HD650 and Crack, is not bad either especially after listening to the HD700/800, DT880/990 and today the HE-400.
As my minister of finance (Who happens to be also my wife) said, why you don’t keep the Crack/HD650, it’s paid for and as you just said: It’s not that bad.
I think my wife is right (This time anyway)…
Well, I am 99.9999% sure that I will stop looking for better
and try to enjoy what I have.
Before typing this post I just had a 30 minutes listen to my Crack/HD650 and I think I am getting use to the sound,
there might be also the fact that the several hours of burn-in are making them a little brighter, still not as much as I want, but still.
So, I will stop being too demanding and try to be more reasonable, anyway, I don’t have much choice given my limited budget.
So, end of the sorry.
Sorry if I have made all my posts boring and painful to read,
but look as if that’s how I am.
Is it a happy ending, well, more or less?
Next complaining post.
My Rega turntable with the phono stage.
Have a nice day all.

Guy 13

charmerci

« Reply #115 on: 2 Jun 2014, 03:26 pm »
Now, the shocking news !
The price: The sales man told me that the price of the DT990 is 4,490,000 Vietnamese dollars, which comes down in real money to 212 USD, I told the salesman that he had make a mistake since the DT990 are advertised on Amazon at 379 USD, I told him that he had made a mistake when doing the conversion from Vietnamese Dong to US dollars. I told him to check again.
Yes, it’s really 212 USD.
I’ve asked him why is that?
Because they are the official importer/retailer.
That was a pleasant surprise.
Plus a two years warranty.

Well, wouldn't that be because they're made in China and the shipping is much cheaper?

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #116 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:17 am »
Guy-

Sometimes a little perspective of options makes your current rig sound a little bit sweeter.  Glad to hear that you are finding peace and harmony with your Crack and HD650.  Hi fidelity audio reproduction can be an enjoyable hobby and a frustrating chase for that next "fix", hence Doc B's tongue and cheek "Crack" name.  Do consider taking up the enjoyable hobby of modifying your gear to suit YOUR tastes.  I think you would be surprised what a few easy solders can do for your overall satisfaction.  Upgrades, tubes, and caps are relatively easy (even for old shaky hands), can cost little, and give you a great sense of accomplishment.

Enjoy the journey and enjoy the music.

Guy 13

« Reply #117 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:44 am »
Well, wouldn't that be because they're made in China and the shipping is much cheaper?
Hi charmerci.
The Bayerdynamic salesman told me that because they are the official importer/distributor and buy directly from the factory at factory price and sell directly to the end user, they can cut the price, I can believe that, because with my wife's business we do the same for professional photographic equipment.
However, who knows ??? Maybe they are copies, maybe they are imported illegally, maybe, maybe...
Anyway, I have no intention to buy the Bayerdynamic headphones.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #118 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:51 am »
Guy-

Sometimes a little perspective of options makes your current rig sound a little bit sweeter.  Glad to hear that you are finding peace and harmony with your Crack and HD650.  Hi fidelity audio reproduction can be an enjoyable hobby and a frustrating chase for that next "fix", hence Doc B's tongue and cheek "Crack" name.  Do consider taking up the enjoyable hobby of modifying your gear to suit YOUR tastes.  I think you would be surprised what a few easy solders can do for your overall satisfaction.  Upgrades, tubes, and caps are relatively easy (even for old shaky hands), can cost little, and give you a great sense of accomplishment.

Enjoy the journey and enjoy the music.

Hi SetterP.
I did some tube rolling and did not noticed any change in sound, I removed the foam inside the headphones, it did improve the sound a little, so little, that I wonder if it's my imagination, I don't want to replace the headphone cable, too expensive and one AC member suggested that I do a Russian capacitor by-pass, even if the modification can be done and un-done, for now I don't fell like changing, improving or doing anything other than trying to enjoy the stock combo.
Since I have no problem disturbing the neighbor or even my wife in the bedroom below, I prefer to listen to the music with my Decware/Omega system at the sound level that I like.
Thanks for your comments.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 3 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm »
Guy,
You read my mind, I was just rec you change the 650 stock cable for the same Iam using now.
If even the HD800 cable are a know weak point, in the 650 things may be worse.
Regards