Class D versus the rest

JohnR

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #320 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:26 am »
That was an incredibly rude personal attack DS-21. But if you want to read that into it, have fun...   :thumb:

Dave, DS-21 is correct - you are using a non-commercial circle for commercial promotion. Please stop doing it. Thanks ;)

rodge827

« Reply #321 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:28 am »
Dave,

Thanks for the response.  :thumb:

Chris

Randy

« Reply #322 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:26 am »
Dave, DS-21 is correct - you are using a non-commercial circle for commercial promotion. Please stop doing it. Thanks ;)

What? I don't see it and think you are being unfair to Dave. (Who I don't know, and have never purchased any of his products.) IMO, you owe him an apology.

rascal

« Reply #324 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:30 am »
John R has a point if Dave is selling Herbie's footers which is what Dave praised :lol: otherwise John R is mistaken  :nono:

rascal

« Reply #325 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:32 am »

Thank you Tom  :thumb:- I will get one- need a sub amp anyways. If they come very close to my NC400- then we have the 'next best thingy' product ..

OzarkTom

« Reply #326 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:40 am »
Thank you Tom  :thumb:- I will get one- need a sub amp anyways. If they come very close to my NC400- then we have the 'next best thingy' product ..

Yeah rascal, let me know how it sounds. I have not given fully up on Class D, I still would like to have one. The Ncores never worked at my house, but I have very dirty AC.

Rclark

« Reply #327 on: 9 Oct 2014, 05:21 am »
Yeah rascal, let me know how it sounds. I have not given fully up on Class D, I still would like to have one. The Ncores never worked at my house, but I have very dirty AC.

The dirtiest!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #328 on: 9 Oct 2014, 12:59 pm »
Did someone say Sorbothane Hemispheres?
I use these under components that have hard drives, CD/DVD players, big fans or humming power transformers.

Sorbothane Hemisphere Foot Bumpers
http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomechanics/optical-breadboard-components-laboratory-tables/laboratory-tables-breadboards/sorbothane-mounts/1618

OzarkTom

« Reply #329 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:03 pm »
I use these under components that have hard drives, CD/DVD players, big fans or humming power transformers.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomechanics/optical-breadboard-components-laboratory-tables/laboratory-tables-breadboards/sorbothane-mounts/1618

If you set your components on top of moongel pads, it will even sound better. Even expensive stillpoints won't beat it.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #330 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:17 pm »
Tom, have you ever tried the Uberbuss?  They work very well.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #331 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:53 pm »

I was really surprised at how much of an effect Sorbothane had on the sound. Not necessarily good or bad...

Tom, I am going to have to order some moongel pads, they've been on my watch list on ebay for the past few weeks since I heard you first mention them. Thanks for the tip!

JDUBS

« Reply #332 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm »
Guys does anyone know if sound quality is consistent across the Crown XLS DriveCore series?  I need a cheap(er) amp for the new smaller system I am putting together and the 1000 model seems potentially intriguing.

Thanks,
Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #333 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm »
The 1000 model is noisier. I have heard the 1500 recommended if you don't need the power / have higher efficiency speakers.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #334 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:01 pm »
Dave, I am interested in your thoughts re cable design and pairing with Ncore amplifiers.  Because Class D amps all rely on L-C output filters, I would expect that any cables which which exhibit high levels of capacitance or inductance could change the RF profile getting through to the cables.  Additionally, I suspect that some cables which exhibit high levels of C or L may even create resonance when combined with the output filter.  It would seem wise to use a cable with a balanced level of L and C, and as little of both as possible.
Also, since the output filter on  Class D amp is never perfect, and high frequency noise does show up on the output, a cable with a geometry designed to limit the antenna effect (to reduce RF broadcast which may be picked up by components and other wires) would seem to be a wise choice for use with class D amplifiers.
I have quite a bit of experience with ICE, uCD, and Ncore amps, and I would suggest that anyone auditioning these amps make sure to have them powered up for at least a few hours, if not overnight, before doing any critical listening.  Without extended warm up, none of these amps sound their best-often I think quick listening to a cold class D amp is responsible for many negative first impressions.

Folsom

« Reply #335 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:36 pm »
Actually the LC output filter will be less effective with lower inductance cables. Not having noise on the speaker cables means improved feedback, improved distortion, etc.

Inductors often resonate on their own as well.

Ric's doubling of WIMA caps lowers inductance of the filter and improves the performance. "Needed" or not.

JDUBS

« Reply #336 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:52 pm »
The 1000 model is noisier. I have heard the 1500 recommended if you don't need the power / have higher efficiency speakers.

Thanks Dave!

-Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #337 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:07 am »
I just picked up a used once 2000 off of Ebay for $300. :) I will compare it to my Job amp running my Zellatons and report back. The Job amp is actually the very first amp on my dirty AC to never me any problems, especially fatiguing headaches.

rodge827

« Reply #338 on: 10 Oct 2014, 01:55 am »
Nice grab Tom  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #339 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:10 am »
Tom, have you ever tried the Uberbuss?  They work very well.

I tried their battery buss, but I still preferred the sound without it.