Class D versus the rest

cab

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #140 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:28 am »
The only insults I've seen came from you, Cab.  Trolling, really? I'm interested in the subject, just not all the weeding out of the posts that are redundant and self serving from those who don't even own Ncores.

Maybe you need to increase the font size in your browser...Here are a few of your insults from this page alone that I had no trouble seeing:

"Your lack of character"

"nebbish"

"self professed messiah"

If you do own a pair, then you can be a true gentleman and take the time and write a comprehensive review that compares them to other amps you own as a reference point.  That is what advances and promotes this hobby or lifestyle.

Jim

I have nothing to add that others haven't already stated time and again. Do some research. Maybe then you will get a pair....

kevinh

« Reply #141 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:29 am »
For those interested in Class D technology may I recommend Bob Cordell's book: "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" . In part 6 of the book he discussed the issues around designing Class D amps, power supplies for Class D amps and distortion and distortion measurement for Calss D,and the solutions to these problems.

Bob does note that recently there have been large gains in the quality of Class D amps. The overview is ~50 pages. Bob has mentioned he will expand this section in future editions of his book. Bob does reference some of Bruno's papers in his book.

BTW the book is a must have fro those interested in how power amps work and how to design good amps. I would wager if you got the schematic for any 'audiophile' class a or ab amp you will see the topology explained in this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007164024X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EP1A6MJ1NTW77VQW026&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

cab

« Reply #142 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:30 am »

Therefore, I would never buy the Ncores unless I heard them first. I like to try stuff on before I buy. If the shoe fits, I will buy it.

So try them....

OzarkTom

« Reply #143 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:33 am »
So try them....

So when are you going to send me yours? I have a hundred dollar bill waiting for you.

cab

« Reply #144 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:37 am »
Thanks but mine aren't going anywhere.....

OzarkTom

« Reply #145 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:39 am »
Thanks but mine aren't going anywhere.....

Then why are you so adamant against the cautious here if you are not willing to share?

medium jim

« Reply #146 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:39 am »
Cab:

People can read for themselves who insulted who and also read between the lines. Your attempt at deflection is obvious.  But it is all good.

Jim

werd

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #147 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:42 am »
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you....

This thread is for Hypex Ncore Q&A. You haven't heard them, so you can't answer any questions. You claim your amp can't be improved upon, and you aren't asking any constructive questions. I have to ask myself, what are you adding to this thread other than troll-like behavior?

You know the biggest trolls on this board always end up being the ones that don't include a gallery
or a systems make up in their profile. How about you and Rclark ante-up a bit and type what you have.  You have taken the liberty to indulge us with your opinion with really no commitment. Either that or stfu for a change.

cab

« Reply #148 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:42 am »
Then why are you so adamant against the cautious here if you are not willing to share?

Show me where I have said there was anything wrong with being cautious...

Indeed, it is caution that keeps them where they are....

cab

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #149 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:46 am »
You know the biggest trolls on this board always end up being the ones that don't include a gallery
or a systems make up in their profile. How about you and Rclark ante-up a bit and type what you have.  You have taken the liberty to indulge us with your opinion with really no commitment. Either that or stfu for a change.

Try as I might, I can't find the Ncore related question or answer in your post....unless you have something constructive to add on topic to this thread perhaps you ought to take your own advice and stfu.

OzarkTom

« Reply #150 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:48 am »
Show me where I have said there was anything wrong with being cautious...

Indeed, it is caution that keeps them where they are....

Then where is your review? Surely you have written one somewhere on the net.

BruceSB

« Reply #151 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:51 am »
I would like to add an additional factor into the Class D equation.
That is voicing.
Spectron, one of the longest players, maybe even the longest class D amp manufacturer offer two different "voicings".
They say on their website that you can have a "standard" amp, one with a tube like voicing (called the "signature upgrade"), or some combination thereof.
It almost makes me wonder whether if some people don't like the voicings rather than the technology.
Now there is something to think about!!!!
Bruce

cab

« Reply #152 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:52 am »
Not yet.....but maybe soon.....I'll give you the Cliff Notes version: I like them. A lot. Please point me to your on line amp reviews. Someone who has owned over 200 amps must have written a lot of them....

roscoeiii

« Reply #153 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:53 am »
I have been around audio for 42 years, was a high-end dealer for 15. I have gone through over 200 different amps in my life, tube and SS. I won't bore anybody here with the amps that I have actually owned. Being a dealer has the advantages of owning a lot, I took a lot of trade-ins.

I listened to the reviewers on many occasion. And I was burned way too many times. So of course I am cautious. These are a few things that make me cautious about the Ncores.

1-A good sounding 20 watt amp beats a great sounding 200 watt amp everytime. I have never owned a 200 watt amp that I would ever keep.

2-I have only heard one good sounding Class D amp, and that one runs on batteries. It is only 32 watts. Without the batteries, I would not listen to it. The switching power supply ruins it for me.

3-The Ncores are 200 watt amps and do not run on batteries. They run off of switching power supplies.

Therefore, I would never buy the Ncores unless I heard them first. I like to try stuff on before I buy. If the shoe fits, I will buy it.

Very reasonable logic all around here OzarkTom.

And all leading to the big question surrounding ncores: Are they game changers?

In this case, does it turn these prior experiences you've had on their head? Quite the achievement if they do, no doubt. Particularly at their price point and considering conventional amp wisdom (whether from the Class A SS point of view, the linear power supply point of view, or the "gotta have tubes" point of view). Impressive is all the endorsements from people who previously found themselves in each of these camps. Not just those from only one or two of these camps.

I do hope you can hear the ncores. And I will do my best to provide some of the answers you are looking for during my time on the tour.

roscoeiii

« Reply #154 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:55 am »
Can we please move beyond the insults and move the discussion back to where AC is at its strongest: being a supportive and helpful forum of people genuinely wanting to share their opinions and expertise in order to help others on their audio journeys. That is the glory of sites like this (and this site in particular IME). Let's not lose sight of this in a frenzied defense of personal preferences.

cab

« Reply #155 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:58 am »
I would like to add an additional factor into the Class D equation.
That is voicing.
Spectron, one of the longest players, maybe even the longest class D amp manufacturer offer two different "voicings".
They say on their website that you can have a "standard" amp, one with a tube like voicing (called the "signature upgrade"), or some combination thereof.
It almost makes me wonder whether if some people don't like the voicings rather than the technology.
Now there is something to think about!!!!
Bruce

Many people like certain types of harmonic distortion, the type tube amps are known to introduce. I have a Spectron Musician II I bought from John at Spectron some years ago. It has a rather neutral sound that has been called sterile. John is no dummy-add some even order distortion and voila, a little tube magic......

Rclark

« Reply #156 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:59 am »
@ Werd, I show my stuff all the time! I just haven't made a gallery because it's not done-done.

BruceSB

« Reply #157 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:03 am »
Hi John
Would you care to elaborate a little on what you think of your Spectron?
Strenghts?
Weaknesses?
Happy with the purchase?
Wouod you prefer the signature upgrad.
Just wondering about one for my next upgrade.
By the way I would be using it with full range electrostats.
Appreciate any input.
Many thanks.
Bruce

BruceSB

« Reply #158 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:05 am »
Sorry Cab, I called you John!
Need to tighten the bolts that hold my head on!!
Don't know what got into me.
Anyway I would appreciate your thoughts.
Bruce

cab

« Reply #159 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:10 am »
Hi John
Would you care to elaborate a little on what you think of your Spectron?
Strenghts?
Weaknesses?
Happy with the purchase?
Wouod you prefer the signature upgrad.
Just wondering about one for my next upgrade.
By the way I would be using it with full range electrostats.
Appreciate any input.
Many thanks.
Bruce

The Spectron Musician II has loads of power, runs cool, with little sound of its own, which is in my opinion what an amp should sound like. I can't comment on the Musician III as I have never heard one. I was happy with the Spectron until I heard the Ncore.

I will be selling the Spectron.