Class D versus the rest

JohnR

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #120 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:13 am »
cab and macro, the thing is this tone of "buy it now or lose out forever." Will there never be another Class D amp designed? Will the same quality not be available in future for less $$?

cab

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #121 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:14 am »
And you are the self professed messiah that is going to take all of of us nay sayers to the promised land of tonal nirvana.....

wushuliu

« Reply #122 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:17 am »
cab and macro, the thing is this tone of "buy it now or lose out forever." Will there never be another Class D amp designed? Will the same quality not be available in future for less $$?

Well it IS 2012...

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #123 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:21 am »
Good lord, we have rule banning tube vs solid state debates in this circle. Are we going to need a similar rule concerning class d? I hope not. Perhaps you all can just agree to disagree and go back to listening to music on the amp of your choice. Sheesh.

cab

« Reply #124 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:24 am »

I am not sure where you are getting the "buy it now or lose out forever" vibe....not something I have picked up on anywhere....I would say from the reviews it is more of a "buy it now because it everything kicks everything else's ass" tone....

As said earlier, designing a state of the art class d amp is very difficult. The large number of mediocre class d amps is proof of this...There aren't many people with the knowledge and talent of Bruno Putzeys and we are fortunate that he has a soft spot for the DIY crowd or we would have to pay many times the NC400 cost to get this technology. At some point another design of equal or better quality will come along (probably from Bruno) but there are no guarantees it will be here anytime soon, and at a better price point.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #125 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:25 am »

medium jim

« Reply #126 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:28 am »
No, I learned long ago that you can't fix stupid and that ignorance, for some, is bliss....Glad you are happy with your 50 year old amp....

Amps, mine are Marantz model 9's.  Mine are only 15 years old as they are the Limited Edition reissues that sold out immediately.  I haven't found any other Amps that will hold a candle to them at any price.  Some things just can't be improved upon.

Your lack of character is manifesting itself and will not win you any friends around here.  Maybe it is you who needs to check out or earn a time out.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #127 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:36 am »
And you are the self professed messiah that is going to take all of of us nay sayers to the promised land of tonal nirvana.....

Plagerism, nice. 

Jim

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #128 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:36 am »
This thread is for Q&A concerning Hypex NCore. It says so right at the top of the page. There have been questions and confusion about ordering and pricing of the NC400 kit so, in my last post, I related my own experience concerning those matters.

The title of the thread seems to imply that it is intended to benefit those who have an interest in this product and would like to know more about it. I can't see any constructive reason for anyone who isn't interested in these amplifiers to intrude.

Likewise, it seems natural and appropriate that parties who are qualified to answer these questions and choose to do so would be enthusiastic. Why should that bother uninterested parties?

kevinh

« Reply #129 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:43 am »
This thread is starting to go off the rails. 
The discussion is starting to remind me of the Bob Carver hype when he claimed to emulate expensive tube amps from a solid state unit by loading the power supply (switching rails).  While it was a neat engineering trick, it certainly did not sound like a tube amp.

This seems to be similar.  While I’m sure the Ncore amps sound pretty good, at the end of the day, it’s still a switching amp (that’s how it works).  Still have not seen any explanations on how the amp overcomes the physics of switching artifacts.  I suspect that it has not overcome the switching artifacts entirely, and (in fact) may not have overcome them.

As earlier stated, it took 20 to 30 years to get conventional solid state amps to the point they were considered on a par with the best tube amps.  People still argue about Class A vs. Class AB, where there is almost no switching compared to a switching amp, and no artifacts to deal with.

The first switching amps I heard were the Sony and Infinity, that was about 35 years ago.....

So the technology has had time to mature. Just as Solid State matured.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #130 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:46 am »
I refer you to the specs of the Ncore. 

Where can I find the distortion curves?

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #131 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:51 am »

cab

« Reply #132 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:57 am »
Amps, mine are Marantz model 9's.  Mine are only 15 years old as they are the Limited Edition reissues that sold out immediately.  I haven't found any other Amps that will hold a candle to them at any price.  Some things just can't be improved upon.

Your lack of character is manifesting itself and will not win you any friends around here.  Maybe it is you who needs to check out or earn a time out.

Jim

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you....

This thread is for Hypex Ncore Q&A. You haven't heard them, so you can't answer any questions. You claim your amp can't be improved upon, and you aren't asking any constructive questions. I have to ask myself, what are you adding to this thread other than troll-like behavior?

JohnR

« Reply #133 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:00 am »
It's a little hard to keep track of where the posts are as they keep getting moved around. Currently this is the "Class D vs the rest" thread.

cab - take it down a notch please.

medium jim

« Reply #134 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:02 am »
Cab:

Wrong, this thread is titled Class D vs the rest. Again, you feel the need to be nebbish.

Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #135 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:04 am »
"Class D versus the rest"

Please, maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Where is the word Ncore in this thread listing?

Oops, guess this is now a repeat listing.

cab

« Reply #136 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:04 am »
It's a little hard to keep track of where the posts are as they keep getting moved around. Currently this is the "Class D vs the rest" thread.

Indeed....

cab - take it down a notch please.

Would love to....as soon as the insults and trolling end....

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #137 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:12 am »
Well I merged a page and a half of posts from the Q&A thread as they were basically the same as what was going on in this thread. Unfortunately the title did not change when merged.
My apologies for the confusion. With the negative turn this is taking it may not be here long anyway. I suppose that's inevitable with any thread with "Versus" in the title. :cry:
I'm goin to bed, you guys are wearing me out.

medium jim

« Reply #138 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:14 am »
The only insults I've seen came from you, Cab.  Trolling, really? I'm interested in the subject, just not all the weeding out of the posts that are redundant and self serving from those who don't even own Ncores.

If you do own a pair, then you can be a true gentleman and take the time and write a comprehensive review that compares them to other amps you own as a reference point.  That is what advances and promotes this hobby or lifestyle.

Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #139 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:24 am »
I have been around audio for 42 years, was a high-end dealer for 15. I have gone through over 200 different amps in my life, tube and SS. I won't bore anybody here with the amps that I have actually owned. Being a dealer has the advantages of owning a lot, I took a lot of trade-ins.

I listened to the reviewers on many occasion. And I was burned way too many times. So of course I am cautious. These are a few things that make me cautious about the Ncores.

1-A good sounding 20 watt amp beats a great sounding 200 watt amp everytime. I have never owned a 200 watt amp that I would ever keep.

2-I have only heard one good sounding Class D amp, and that one runs on batteries. It is only 32 watts. Without the batteries, I would not listen to it. The switching power supply ruins it for me.

3-The Ncores are 200 watt amps and do not run on batteries. They run off of switching power supplies.

Therefore, I would never buy the Ncores unless I heard them first. I like to try stuff on before I buy. If the shoe fits, I will buy it.