New Loudspeaker -- Tycho Brahe

Kevin Haskins

New Loudspeaker -- Tycho Brahe
« on: 18 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm »
I've just about put the finishing touches on a new loudspeaker design, the Tycho Brahe.    This one is a small tower, utilizing the Madisound 38L cabinets.   The layout is a MMT (midwoof-midwoof-tweet) using the Exodus EX-6.5 and the Peerless tweeter I've standardized on.

Crossover is around 1.6K with something like a 3rd-4th order acoustic.   Total component count is four on the midwoofer, six on the tweeter because that pesky Peerless requires a notch filter up top.

All graphs measured with Praxis @ about 1.5M.    These are all raw data, no smoothing done for those people who mights suspect I'm hiding something.   :wink:

On-axis:   Smoothed it would be +/- 1.5db or better from 200Hz-20K

Off-axis 15deg:   

Off-axis 30deg:

I ran an impedance curve with and without an LCR compensation network.     For most amps the version without the impedance network would work fine.     It has a peak at the crossover af about 32 ohms.    Phase angle ... 44 deg.     Notice the port tuning frequency is around 33Hz.

If you want to make 100% sure they are an easy load, here it is with the impedance network to flatten things out.   Cost about an extra $20-$30 if you want a ruler flat Z curve.    Ignoring the double peak of the tuned cabinet, the high is 6.8 Ohms, low 5.1 Ohms with a phase angle of < 6 deg across the entire bandwidth.   

They sound great.... I may play with the bottom end a little more.   They might be a touch too bass heavy.    Bottom end extension is an honest 30Hz in-room.   

Price should be around $385 each, which will include the crossovers assembled on PCBs.     

klh

Re: New Loudspeaker -- Tycho Brahe
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:00 am »
Does that price include the enclosure?

Also, will you do an MTM center?

BTW... those plots look impressive 8).

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:39 am »
That price is comparable to the 2641s......hmm.

So these have a -3db of around 33Hz? That's not far off from the Extremis either.

[Gollum] Me wants it... [/Gollum]

TerryO

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2007, 12:52 am »
Mr. Haskins:

Tycho Brahe is it?

He's got to be one of my favorites, the finest celestial instrument maker of his time (actually very accurate even by today's standards!) and an out and out character. If I remember correctly, he was probably the last nobleman in Europe to have a Court Jester (by at least a couple hundred years!) and was known for his silver nose, which replaced the one he lost in a duel.
While Brahe's "system" of Celestial Mechanics was rendered obsolete in pretty short order, his papers with all the measurements from his observatory were, according to who tells the tale, either stolen by or presented to, his assistant Johann Kepler upon his death.
In one of those ironies of history, two of the greatest individuals of their age came together in a nexus of unparalleled import. I'm not sure if it's generally known, but Kepler had double vision and was unable to make observations himself, so the necessity of Kepler obtaining Brahe's data was absolute and enabled him to begin the mathematical calculations which in the end (after years of work) ultimately produced Kepler's Three Laws of Celestial Mechanics. One historian called Kepler's work the "Watershed" of science, in which the final break from the Aristotelian (Classical) view of science was accomplished and what we call Modern Science began.

I have to say that I really like the manner that you've chosen to name your speakers. Great Scientists are worthy of recognition, so may I suggest that your next design be designated the "Stubblefield", in honor of the inventor of the radio.

Oh, by the way, your data and graph's are as impressive as the name. I can't wait to hear them.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:13 am »
Does that price include the enclosure?

Also, will you do an MTM center?

BTW... those plots look impressive 8).

Nope.... you either build your own or give Madisound some money.   :o

That would include, x2 EX-6.5, x1 Tweeter, x1 crossover, x1 PSP port, & all the other "stuff".    It may come out $350ish..... got to run the numbers.

An MTM is next on the list.    I was going to use one of the PE boxes.   I have a couple on the way because I'm also doing a "split-tower" version with the Kepler sitting on top.    The bottom 1 ft^3 cabinet would handle the bass, utilize the Woofer Widget and give you complete PEQ & measurement tools for the bass.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:15 am »
That price is comparable to the 2641s......hmm.

So these have a -3db of around 33Hz? That's not far off from the Extremis either.

[Gollum] Me wants it... [/Gollum]

They give up about 5Hz to the Extremis designs.   The finished speaker designs are smaller, and they take less power to go.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:17 am »
Mr. Haskins:

Tycho Brahe is it?

He's got to be one of my favorites, the finest celestial instrument maker of his time (actually very accurate even by today's standards!) and an out and out character. If I remember correctly, he was probably the last nobleman in Europe to have a Court Jester (by at least a couple hundred years!) and was known for his silver nose, which replaced the one he lost in a duel.
While Brahe's "system" of Celestial Mechanics was rendered obsolete in pretty short order, his papers with all the measurements from his observatory were, according to who tells the tale, either stolen by or presented to, his assistant Johann Kepler upon his death.
In one of those ironies of history, two of the greatest individuals of their age came together in a nexus of unparalleled import. I'm not sure if it's generally known, but Kepler had double vision and was unable to make observations himself, so the necessity of Kepler obtaining Brahe's data was absolute and enabled him to begin the mathematical calculations which in the end (after years of work) ultimately produced Kepler's Three Laws of Celestial Mechanics. One historian called Kepler's work the "Watershed" of science, in which the final break from the Aristotelian (Classical) view of science was accomplished and what we call Modern Science began.

I have to say that I really like the manner that you've chosen to name your speakers. Great Scientists are worthy of recognition, so may I suggest that your next design be designated the "Stubblefield", in honor of the inventor of the radio.

Oh, by the way, your data and graph's are as impressive as the name. I can't wait to hear them.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yea... and there are some who think Kepler poisoned Tycho to steal his data.    Nothing like a little drama to spice up history.   

You can name the next speaker Terry.   I get veto power though....  :lol:

TerryO

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:34 am »
Mr. Haskins:

Tycho Brahe is it?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yea... and there are some who think Kepler poisoned Tycho to steal his data.    Nothing like a little drama to spice up history.   

Mr. Haskins,

It may seem far fetched, but it wouldn't be the first time that underhanded means were employed to gain access to groundbreaking technological inventions or data.

A number of years ago, the very foundations of the Audio World were nearly torn asunder by the unveiling of the "Hydro Klammodyne" loudspeaker at VSAC. One participant, who we'll call Wan Diggins, was so overcome with jealousy that he (a physically imposing man) and his ever bigger enforcer, "the Bishop" accosted the inventor in the parking lot at the end of the event and forced him to "let" them to take the Hydro Klammodynes back to their "laboratory", probably for the purpose of reverse engineering this truly revolutionary speaker.

To make a short story even shorter, Wan Diggins and "the Bishop" evidently were confounded in their efforts to understand the advanced principles involved and the inventor was able to finally regain possession. A witness to this evil deed (who shall also remain nameless) was so incensed by these events, that he set in motion a plot that brought about the ultimate undoing of "the Bishop" a year or two later. Thus were the Demonic Forces of Darkness thwarted and Peace, once again, gently returned to the Land.

Best Regards,
TerryO

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:43 am »

You sir, need to do stand up comedy. If I'm  :rotflmao: just reading your prose, imagine what effect you'll have in front of a microphone  :lol:

Best,
Anand.

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:48 am »
Seems like a speaker named the Tycho Brahe ought to have a metal phase plug.  :D

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:30 pm »
Seems like a speaker named the Tycho Brahe ought to have a metal phase plug.  :D

He has two.... but they are not copper.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:42 pm »

Mr. Haskins,

It may seem far fetched, but it wouldn't be the first time that underhanded means were employed to gain access to groundbreaking technological inventions or data.

A number of years ago, the very foundations of the Audio World were nearly torn asunder by the unveiling of the "Hydro Klammodyne" loudspeaker at VSAC. One participant, who we'll call Wan Diggins, was so overcome with jealousy that he (a physically imposing man) and his ever bigger enforcer, "the Bishop" accosted the inventor in the parking lot at the end of the event and forced him to "let" them to take the Hydro Klammodynes back to their "laboratory", probably for the purpose of reverse engineering this truly revolutionary speaker.

To make a short story even shorter, Wan Diggins and "the Bishop" evidently were confounded in their efforts to understand the advanced principles involved and the inventor was able to finally regain possession. A witness to this evil deed (who shall also remain nameless) was so incensed by these events, that he set in motion a plot that brought about the ultimate undoing of "the Bishop" a year or two later. Thus were the Demonic Forces of Darkness thwarted and Peace, once again, gently returned to the Land.

Best Regards,
TerryO

"The Bishop" and his undoing are coming over this weekend.   

Hey... we will have to make arrangements here soon for the next VSAC.    I'm vacillating on the decision of whether to exhibit or not.   It would be a lot more fun to just go and not have to worry about a taking care of a room.     

Are you having any luck with that snoring medication?   I could drive over, pick you up, we could hit the liquor store and head south.   

TerryO

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:50 am »
Mr. Haskins said:

Hey... we will have to make arrangements here soon for the next VSAC.    I'm vacillating on the decision of whether to exhibit or not.   It would be a lot more fun to just go and not have to worry about a taking care of a room.     

Are you having any luck with that snoring medication?   I could drive over, pick you up, we could hit the liquor store and head south." 

Mr. Haskins,

If you would, please give my complements to "the Bishop" and his undoing. I'm a little vague, have the number of minor retributions reached three yet?  :thumb:

As for VSAC, I'm up for it if you've fully recovered from the Vancouver Island bash. I've had a speaker project on the back burner for some time that would be my entry for the "Craftsman Room" as I try to have something different for every event. I better get busy on that one if I'm going to be ready. If you decide to exhibit, I'd be willing to spell you off so you could see some of the "stuff".

I'd also be glad to accept a ride and share the gas, however can I suggest that, as Washington State has state liquor stores, there would be no advantage to hitting the liquor store before we reach VSAC :^) In fact, Portland is just over the bridge and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a great deal cheaper.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Steven Kephart

• http://www.adireaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2007, 03:14 am »

Hey Kevin, if you could please tell "The Bishop" I said hi.  Undone or not, he's always been a great guy.

Those speakers look awesome.  If I didn't have a full Extremis speaker system already, I would be hopping all over those.  I will of course be contacting you when I'm ready for a subwoofer system.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:12 am »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about (the "Bishop"?) :) but when is the next VSAC?

TerryO

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:53 pm »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about (the "Bishop"?) :) but when is the next VSAC?

John,
From the bottlehead forum:

Posted by mkilfoil (A ) on August 12, 2007 at 10:02:55
In Reply to: Don't waste your time! Could I be wrong? posted by mkilfoil on August 9, 2007 at 20:37:17:

The show will run Saturday through Monday, May 24-25-26.

Michael

MaxCast

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:49 pm »
OK, but what about the Bishop thing....

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:31 pm »

Hey Kevin, if you could please tell "The Bishop" I said hi.  Undone or not, he's always been a great guy.

Those speakers look awesome.  If I didn't have a full Extremis speaker system already, I would be hopping all over those.  I will of course be contacting you when I'm ready for a subwoofer system.

Hey... no problem Steve.   Good to hear from you.    Just let me know when you need some bass.   

I think Brian enjoys being "undone".    :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:41 pm »

"The Bishop" is just a mutual friend and now brother, due to the "undoing".   

"The Bishop" is aka Brian Bishop.    He used to work for Adire and I first met him and Terry O at VSAC 2001.    At that show I told Brian (then a single & unhappy bachelor), that he should meet my sister-in-law.    Now... don't get me wrong, I don't do much in terms of match-making.   That is dangerous waters and wiser men then me have caused all kinds of grief by playing cupid.     Be that as it may, I insisted that Brian email Michele (my sister-in-law), then living in Alaska.   Less than six months later they where engaged, and less than a year later they where married.     

The really odd thing about all this is the absolute certainty that I had about them getting together.   I was stuck in Seattle the entire week (my flight was canceled due to 9/11) and I called home telling my wife I'd be staying with my brother in Seattle.  She said, "honey... you don't have a brother in Seattle", I said "I do now".    Just a year later I was right.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:43 pm »

"The Bishop" is just a mutual friend and now brother, due to the "undoing".  

"The Bishop" is aka Brian Bishop.    He used to work for Adire and I first met him and Terry O at VSAC 2001.    At that show I told Brian (then a single & unhappy bachelor), that he should meet my sister-in-law.    Now... don't get me wrong, I don't do much in terms of match-making.   That is dangerous waters and wiser men then me have caused all kinds of grief by playing cupid.     Be that as it may, I insisted that Brian email Michele (my sister-in-law), then living in Alaska.   Less than six months later they where engaged, and less than a year later they where married.    

The really odd thing about all this is the absolute certainty that I had about them getting together.   I was stuck in Seattle the entire week (my flight was canceled due to 9/11) and I called home telling my wife I'd be staying with my brother in Seattle.  She said, "honey... you don't have a brother in Seattle", I said "I do now".    Just a year later I was right.

When you first mentioned that Brian worked with Adire, I was thinking that musta been his undoing cuz of Adire Audio went out of business.  :roll: Then you brought up your sister-in -law. I'm not sure if you have his "undoing" in persepctive Kevin. Brian was unhappy while single & working at Adire, now he's happy with your sister-in-law. Sounds to me like he's "doing" damn well to me.  :thumb:  And I'm 56 and single. The fact that Adire's out of business doesn't make me feel happy but it doesn't break my heart either. Got another sister-in -law?  :lol:

Robin
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2007, 10:21 pm by satfrat »