New Loudspeaker -- Tycho Brahe

ooheadsoo

Re: New Loudspeaker -- Tycho Brahe
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:50 pm »
That just leaves Wan Diggins.  I think I know who the unnamed party is  :dance:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2007, 08:36 pm »
When you first mentioned that Brian worked with Adire, I was thinking that musta been his undoing cuz of Adire Audio finally going out of business (and giving thier customers a well deserved break by doing so).  :roll: Then you brought up your sister-in -law. I'm not sure if you have his "undoing" in persepctive Kevin. Brian was unhappy while single & working at Adire, now he's happy with your sister-in-law. Sounds to me like he's "doing" damn well to me.  :thumb: Myself, I have a nonworking Adire SX-10 driver and ADA-300 amp that was never resolved by Dan Wiggins.  :nono: And I'm 56 and single. The fact that Adire's out of business doesn't make me feel happy but it doesn't break my heart either. Got another sister-in -law?  :lol:
Robin

Nope... that's the last available one.   

In terms of Adire, I'd prefer to leave issues related to Dan out of this forum.  I don't think you have any ill intentions, but this isn't the place for it.     Dan is my friend and I have a real problem with people coming onto this forum and taking shots at him.   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2007, 10:18 pm »

Understood, I will eat my comment as I did my components. You can modify your quote of mine if you like.  :)

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2007, 12:52 am »
when is the next VSAC?

The show will run Saturday through Monday, May 24-25-26.

Thanks Terry, I've made a note of it :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2007, 04:47 pm »

Understood, I will eat my comment as I did my components. You can modify your quote of mine if you like.  :)

Its not a problem.  You didn't  come here looking for problems.   

klh

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:29 pm »
Have you had a chance to work on these?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2008, 08:16 pm »
The design is done, I'm waiting on crossover boards and parts at the moment.   

The Keplers are up on the site and selling.   I still have more documentation work to finish.    There are a pair out for review with Colin Smith  of SoundStage and I think the review will be published in March along with measurements in the NRC chamber.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2008, 09:00 pm »
There are a pair out for review with Colin Smith  of SoundStage and I think the review will be published in March along with measurements in the NRC chamber.

That...I look forward to seeing and reading  :thumb:

Anand.

klh

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2008, 08:11 am »
Kevin... can we get an update on these babies?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:37 am »
Kevin... can we get an update on these babies?

In a holding pattern until I finish a couple other projects.   

Jason1

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2008, 01:37 am »
Is this a 2-way, or a 2.5-way?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2008, 02:45 am »

The first version I did was a 2-way.   I'm morphing the design into a 3-way though.    The Madisound cabinet was nice but all the other designs use the PE cabinets.    I've got a version I'm working on that uses a 1.0 cubic foot PE cabinet for a pair of bass drivers, and a 0.5 cubic foot cabinet for the tweeter and midrange.    With some stick-on rubber footies in between the cabinets you get a two-cabinet tower design that can match both the center channel MTM and the Kepler 2-way.

Jason1

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2008, 11:05 pm »

The first version I did was a 2-way.   I'm morphing the design into a 3-way though.    The Madisound cabinet was nice but all the other designs use the PE cabinets.    I've got a version I'm working on that uses a 1.0 cubic foot PE cabinet for a pair of bass drivers, and a 0.5 cubic foot cabinet for the tweeter and midrange.    With some stick-on rubber footies in between the cabinets you get a two-cabinet tower design that can match both the center channel MTM and the Kepler 2-way.

:thumb: I must say, that sounds very promising. Are you using a different driver for the mid, and do you have a price in mind?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2008, 12:31 am »
:thumb: I must say, that sounds very promising. Are you using a different driver for the mid, and do you have a price in mind?

No...I'll use a EX-6.5 as the midrange too.   The idea behind having matching speakers is that they match in terms of tonal balance.    To do that you need to keep the crossovers & drivers close to the same.   Otherwise the 3-way tower wouldn't match the tonal balance of the Keplers. 

I don't have a price in mind.   I'll design it and the price comes out where the price comes out.    That is how I'm doing all the designs.    I don't worry about hitting a price point.     

If I had to guess.... based upon driver cost and my best guess for the crossover, I'd say $500 per speaker.   Your looking at about $200 per cabinet so you would have a $1400-$1500 pair of loudspeakers.   

It would have a little more extension than the Kepler, much more headroom and distortion <200Hz would be greatly improved.     

klh

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2008, 04:43 pm »
Kevin...

Since you've added a third EX-6.5 driver, how tall will the minimum height of an enclosure be? I want a CC to fit under my screen, but the max I can go is 28". Even if this 3 way will fit, do you think the proximity of the lowest woofer to the floor will color the sound? I have to think it will.

On a side note, Danny Richie looked into the PE cabinets (because he was thinking of building a kit for them, too) and he said he thought the internal volume of the curved enclosure is significantly smaller than advertised. I would look into this if I were you. Obviously it will have no bearing on your kits if people use the PE cabinets, but it will potentially have a huge impact on sound if people build their own and assume the advertised internal volume is correct. I don't know whether he is right or wrong, that's just what he posted on his forum.

klh

« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:01 pm »
Just out of curiosity... I know you have plans for an MTM CC. Would that also be in the 1.0 cubic foot curved cabinet? Size wise it seems logical. If so and you have the time, you might also want to do a vertical version of that which is a WMT. I kind of think that is what you aimed for with the original design of the TB, but it would be really nice for those who want a vertically oriented CC but need it to fit below a screen. I'm sure the horizontal MTM would look gorgeous, perhaps even more so than a vertical WMT tipped a little back, but obviously the MTM is a bit of a compramise with off axis sound. Please just take this FWIW. Having your double stacked WWMTs as mains, a vertical WMT (or horizontal MTM) for a CC and the Kepler as surrounds would be a very nice sounding and looking HT :).

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #36 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:03 pm »
Kevin...

Since you've added a third EX-6.5 driver, how tall will the minimum height of an enclosure be? I want a CC to fit under my screen, but the max I can go is 28". Even if this 3 way will fit, do you think the proximity of the lowest woofer to the floor will color the sound? I have to think it will.

It uses two enclosures, the 1 cubic foot PE on the bottom, the 0.5 cubic foot curved wall one on top.    It is a little shorter than the Madisound cabinet but the top cabinet can be tilted slightly or stood-off further as needed.    It is certainly going to be taller than 28" so I'd just use a single Kepler or the MTM center I'm developing.

On a side note, Danny Richie looked into the PE cabinets (because he was thinking of building a kit for them, too) and he said he thought the internal volume of the curved enclosure is significantly smaller than advertised. I would look into this if I were you. Obviously it will have no bearing on your kits if people use the PE cabinets, but it will potentially have a huge impact on sound if people build their own and assume the advertised internal volume is correct. I don't know whether he is right or wrong, that's just what he posted on his forum.

It is smaller by enough to throw off your alignment if your not careful.   I figured it out a couple months ago and adjusted the Kepler's port tuning accordingly.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #37 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:17 pm »
Just out of curiosity... I know you have plans for an MTM CC. Would that also be in the 1.0 cubic foot curved cabinet? Size wise it seems logical. If so and you have the time, you might also want to do a vertical version of that which is a WMT. I kind of think that is what you aimed for with the original design of the TB, but it would be really nice for those who want a vertically oriented CC but need it to fit below a screen. I'm sure the horizontal MTM would look gorgeous, perhaps even more so than a vertical WMT tipped a little back, but obviously the MTM is a bit of a compramise with off axis sound. Please just take this FWIW. Having your double stacked WWMTs as mains, a vertical WMT (or horizontal MTM) for a CC and the Kepler as surrounds would be a very nice sounding and looking HT :).

Actually I'm using the 0.75 cubic foot curved-wall cabinets.    It is a going to be a sealed design MTM.   

I'm trying to keep the product choices simple.   A tower, a center and a monitor.   ;-)   

klh

« Reply #38 on: 1 Apr 2008, 05:30 pm »
OK :D. Should be nice. Any idea what the -3dB for the CC will be? Using a moderately sized sealed cabinet should make the CC accessible to a lot more people... probably a very wise decision.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #39 on: 1 Apr 2008, 06:28 pm »
OK :D. Should be nice. Any idea what the -3dB for the CC will be? Using a moderately sized sealed cabinet should make the CC accessible to a lot more people... probably a very wise decision.

The F3 is about 88Hz but that is a little bit deceiving because the roll-off is really gentle with the sealed cabinet and you get a lot of boundary reenforcement with typical center channel placement.   It doesn't have the extension of the Kepler but you don't need it with a typical 80Hz HP filter as used in home theater processors.