7B SST SQ Review(s)

gtaphile

Re: 7B SST SQ Review(s)
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2009, 04:06 pm »
An update on the 7Bsq install versus a 6BST (SST). Mogami balanced cables replaced unbalanced Audioquest Columbias - total surprise -the extent of the improvements are across the board  - soundstage is now much more extended, voicing/instruments much smoother, nothing runs together. For the lack of a better description the sum of the improvements draw the listener well into the performance where before you seem to be listening from the back row.

Now to overcome the more difficult hurdle - girlfriend and room acoustics.

1oldguy

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2009, 11:38 am »
HI James

After doing much research I feel that the Bryston Amps will be best.Living here in Newfoundland nobody has your amps in stock which is a shame since the Demo is everything,I'm sure you'd agree with that.But I feel that I won't be let down by going with the Bryston amps.
I am doing 5.1 with the B&W 800 series speakers.I don't listen to music or movies at anywhere near loud volumes.Quite low in fact compared to most.And that's part of  the beauty of the new squared versions of your amps.I can have it low with all the detail which is great.Also I don't have dedicated  lines ,just regular 15 amp.I also have a 60 inch Plasma that must draw about 4 amps I do believe.So I have been concerned about the power draw since I want 5 of your 7Bsst SQ amps.Wondering if I can pull it off at very modest volumes.I'd love to hear your take on the matter.

Thanks James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2009, 11:56 am »
HI James

After doing much research I feel that the Bryston Amps will be best.Living here in Newfoundland nobody has your amps in stock which is a shame since the Demo is everything,I'm sure you'd agree with that.But I feel that I won't be let down by going with the Bryston amps.
I am doing 5.1 with the B&W 800 series speakers.I don't listen to music or movies at anywhere near loud volumes.Quite low in fact compared to most.And that's part of  the beauty of the new squared versions of your amps.I can have it low with all the detail which is great.Also I don't have dedicated  lines ,just regular 15 amp.I also have a 60 inch Plasma that must draw about 4 amps I do believe.So I have been concerned about the power draw since I want 5 of your 7Bsst SQ amps.Wondering if I can pull it off at very modest volumes.I'd love to hear your take on the matter.

Thanks James

Hi 1oldguy from another old guy,

The 7B can draw between 10-15 (8ohms vs 4ohms) amps depending on imedance of your speaker but remember that is at full power which is rarely the case.  I usually recommend that you have at least 1/2 that total value required so somewhere between 5-7amps is a good target.

Do you have independent 15 amp circuits to work with or only 1 power feed to the audio room?

james

1oldguy

« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2009, 12:06 pm »
Hi James

I have the B&W 802D's and 803D's along with Htm2D for center and a AWS855 for the sub.The Speakers are 8 ohms .But hear they do drop down to maybe half that at times.I have only 1 power feed to the room.
As I like quality of sound over volume I hope I can make this work.I have 4 outlets in the room in total.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2009, 12:21 pm »
Hi James

I have the B&W 802D's and 803D's along with Htm2D for center and a AWS855 for the sub.The Speakers are 8 ohms .But hear they do drop down to maybe half that at times.I have only 1 power feed to the room.
As I like quality of sound over volume I hope I can make this work.I have 4 outlets in the room in total.

Hi,

Well you really need about 20-25 amps total so I would say thinking about adding another 15 amp circuit to that room eventually might be something to consider. Don't get me wrong - its not like the system won't work and of course the level you play at makes a huge difference in power draw but you are on the edge here. Is adding another circuit out of the question?

james

1oldguy

« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2009, 12:33 pm »
I don't own my own home so that is why I haven't beefed up the wiring.I guess If I have to I would still get my amps but not use 2 of them The Rear Channels) until I may get something done with the wiring here or someday own my own home.I won't ever be in a position to buy gear of this stature again.So I have this one chance to  do it right.

Again Thanks James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2009, 01:19 pm »
I don't own my own home so that is why I haven't beefed up the wiring.I guess If I have to I would still get my amps but not use 2 of them The Rear Channels) until I may get something done with the wiring here or someday own my own home.I won't ever be in a position to buy gear of this stature again.So I have this one chance to  do it right.

Again Thanks James

OK great -let me know when you order your 7B's and I will make sure they are consecutive numbers for you.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2009, 01:31 pm »
Thank You James

I would like that ,I was going to ask if that was possible,Great minds think alike :green:
I will be placing the order sometime between now and July.Looking forward to it,I've had my speakers for 5 months now and really want to hear them.

KimKman

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2009, 03:41 pm »
Thanks James !!

Picked up my new 7B SST 2 pair from my dealer Monday with consecutive serial numbers.

I appreciate all the help with this order.

Regards,
Kim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2009, 03:44 pm »
Thanks James !!

Picked up my new 7B SST 2 pair from my dealer Monday with consecutive serial numbers.

I appreciate all the help with this order.

Regards,
Kim

Your very welcome sir.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2009, 05:25 pm »
Hi James

I was talking with my dealer today.I had asked if I were to buy  5 of the 7bSST if getting a deal would be in order.I think I may be ordering the amps now if the price is right.So you may need to pick  them  out sooner than I thought,of course depending on what he tells me.I will let you know as soon as I do.
Also can't wait for your new receiver to go along with it all. aa

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2009, 05:41 pm »
Hi James

I was talking with my dealer today.I had asked if I were to buy  5 of the 7bSST if getting a deal would be in order.I think I may be ordering the amps now if the price is right.So you may need to pick  them  out sooner than I thought,of course depending on what he tells me.I will let you know as soon as I do.
Also can't wait for your new receiver to go along with it all. aa

Ok great - its good timing as I am expecting a price increase shortly.
Let me know ASAP.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2009, 06:01 pm »
Hi James

Thanks for the heads up.A price in crease would be hard on me.So I hope my dealer calls you guys soon to see what kind of deal he can get for me.
Will I be safe for this month? Or should I call him to get on this pronto?He said he'd get back to me in a couple of days with a price.but I would imagine he may not know about the price in crease.
I do admit I like deals and need one, so I don't want to miss the boat on this.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2009, 06:57 pm »
Hi James

Thanks for the heads up.A price in crease would be hard on me.So I hope my dealer calls you guys soon to see what kind of deal he can get for me.
Will I be safe for this month? Or should I call him to get on this pronto?He said he'd get back to me in a couple of days with a price.but I would imagine he may not know about the price in crease.
I do admit I like deals and need one, so I don't want to miss the boat on this.

Hi,

Yes please have him call me ASAP.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2009, 12:53 am »
Hi James

I had to take off to work earlier.I will have him call you in the first thing in the morning.I am interested in you CD Player as well.
West End Electronics are the people I deal with.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2009, 01:03 am »
Hi James

I had to take off to work earlier.I will have him call you in the first thing in the morning.I am interested in you CD Player as well.
West End Electronics are the people I deal with.

Ok-great - we will get this sorted for you tomorrow.

james

danman

« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2009, 01:10 am »
How many company Vice Presidents do you all know that do this for their clients???? My God James, do you ever sleep?
I am still in awe at how much you bend over backwards for all of us Bryston lovers. Can't say enough! If ever I have a chance to meet you some day, I will definately buy you your favorite beverage or two!

drummermitchell

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2009, 01:29 am »
I agree with danman 1000%,i'd bow down buy my back hurts from those 28s,so I'll let my friends do it for me,
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:  :wave:.Thanks james.

predrag

« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2009, 12:31 pm »
Here is my experience:
I ordered my pair of 7B SST beginning of December 2008.
They arrived on Christmas eve.
The real surprise was these were squared and nobody knew this new series was coming!
I was among the first ones to have them.
This was a very nice Chrismas greeting from a favorite company.
Bryston at its best!
There is no substitute for James.
Keep on the good work! :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #39 on: 13 May 2009, 04:42 pm »
Well after a year or so of research I have decided to go with Bryston.And I do agree they are the Best with being willing to help.
Just got back from my dealer.I just order 5 of the 7B sst and the Bryston BCD-1.It broke the bank I can assure you of that.lol