Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

djn04

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #460 on: 6 Apr 2011, 07:44 pm »
This is my first post here so please be gentle.

I recently ordered an Ayre QB-9 that I'm waiting for and I have sometime to plan my server options. I've read through most of the post and I have some questions regarding my specific set up and MPD.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme with a hard drive attached to the USB port. I use a Macbook with OS X 10.6 to rip music9 (mostly via iTunes) to the attached network drive.

The attached drive can be set up as an SMB share I'm told. Will this allow MPD to access the files? Will MPD work with the folder structure that iTunes creates? I think MPD will play Apple Lossless (ALAC) right?

Also a wired network connection is not possible with my current set up. Has anyone had success with a wireless mini pci card? Are there 802.11n cards that are compatible with MPD? Are you able to stream hi rez wirelessly?

I ideally I'd like to continue to use iTunes to rip and manage my music and have the MPD pull from the attached USB drive over the wifi network.

I look forward to learning more about all of this and hopefully contributing to the discussion.
Thanks.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #461 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:17 am »
After a listening session last night with a buddy, Rob (questfortone), I am not ready to call the Alix king yet, but will admit that it is either breaking in nicely or just that the last few nights have been much better sonically.  It has lost most of its slight digititis, is incredibly clean and distortion free, and just has a non-fatiguing nature about it.  All this with a $17 Parts Express ps.  And I think my Concert Fidelity pre might be open to a little tube rolling to flavor the Alix slightly toward the sound I'm looking for. 

BTW, Antelope tech support in Europe claims plughw:1,0 is the right setting, but it clearly is not for the zodiac plus (no sound; MPD shows card 0, device 0).  I have it set for hw:0,0 and all is fine.  I ping'd them back.

Ted, your hw:0;0 settings are indeed correct. Most desktop distributions have an ALSA setting that makes a USB audio device the second sound card be default. This way your on-board sound or PCI-E sound card is always the first sound device.

Also, most stable desktop distributions are probably still shipping with mpd 0.15 --which soes not support 24 bit packed samples, hence the need for the plughw setting. With Voyage MPD and the latest mpd 0.16 (which has native S24_3LE 24 bit support) we only need specify hw:x,y

I'm glad your enjoying the sound.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #462 on: 7 Apr 2011, 03:17 am »
This is my first post here so please be gentle.

We always are.
I recently ordered an Ayre QB-9 that I'm waiting for and I have sometime to plan my server options. I've read through most of the post and I have some questions regarding my specific set up and MPD.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme with a hard drive attached to the USB port. I use a Macbook with OS X 10.6 to rip music9 (mostly via iTunes) to the attached network drive.

The attached drive can be set up as an SMB share I'm told. Will this allow MPD to access the files?

Yes. If I remember correctly, it also supports NFS. Take a look at the manual, please.

Will MPD work with the folder structure that iTunes creates? I think MPD will play Apple Lossless (ALAC) right?

MPD requires one root directory, e.g., a directory called, for axample, Music. Put all your music there. But you could also have links under that directory to other music.

And, yes, MPD will play you Apple Loseless files. I've got a few of them (hi-res) and they all play fine.

Also a wired network connection is not possible with my current set up. Has anyone had success with a wireless mini pci card? Are there 802.11n cards that are compatible with MPD? Are you able to stream hi rez wirelessly?

I have not tried the wireless route. And the hi-res question is a good one, especially at 24/192. I suppose one could tweak the buffer_before_play setting, but you won't know until you set it all up.

I ideally I'd like to continue to use iTunes to rip and manage my music and have the MPD pull from the attached USB drive over the wifi network.

That should work just fine.

kukiman

« Reply #463 on: 7 Apr 2011, 03:59 am »
Sorry if this might be a bad question to ask, is it possible to setup this MPD server to run softsqueeze?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #464 on: 7 Apr 2011, 05:44 pm »
Sorry if this might be a bad question to ask, is it possible to setup this MPD server to run softsqueeze?

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? Do you already have a Logitech product like the Touch?

Read what Softsqueeze is: http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

Read what MPD is and *isn't*: http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/What_MPD_Is_and_Is_Not

Read those first then ask questions.

jkelly

« Reply #465 on: 7 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm »
I think you want to run Squeezebox server.

Jeff

Rosewind

« Reply #466 on: 8 Apr 2011, 07:43 am »
HI there.

I have installed Voyage MPD on an Alix 2d2 board but needs pointers on how to configure the installation. A link to the relevant page would be very much appreciated. There is so much info available that it is not easy to determine what is relevant and what is not.

I have a Win 7 OS with Virtual Box on it that I used to install to the CF card.

My network schematic is as follows: Synology 209+ (with NFS enabled) ---> Netgear Router ----> Voyage MPD player ---> USB DAC (soon an Ayre QB-9).

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Peter

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #467 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:48 am »
HI there.

I have installed Voyage MPD on an Alix 2d2 board but needs pointers on how to configure the installation. A link to the relevant page would be very much appreciated. There is so much info available that it is not easy to determine what is relevant and what is not.

I have a Win 7 OS with Virtual Box on it that I used to install to the CF card.

My network schematic is as follows: Synology 209+ (with NFS enabled) ---> Netgear Router ----> Voyage MPD player ---> USB DAC (soon an Ayre QB-9).

First, we need to prep for configuring Alix.

1. Look at your router manual and configure your Alix and NAS to always have the same IP address. This might be called DHCP IP address reservation. You reserve the IP from the MAC address of your NAS and Alix.

2. Google and download PuTTy. This will let you SSH (log in securely) to your Alix.

3. After Alix boots up you will see one of the LED's blinking like a heartbeat. Try to use PuTTy to log into your Alix. Log in as root; the password is voyage.

Do that first.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #468 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:10 am »

1. Look at your router manual and configure your Alix and NAS to always have the same IP address. This might be called DHCP IP address reservation. You reserve the IP from the MAC address of your NAS and Alix.

Nick,

I'm a Linus newbie but have a bit of PC and networking experience. I've been prepping for the arrival of my Alix kit. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router which doesn't support assigning a static IP address. This was confirmed in multiple Google links. Is there a way to do this within the Voyage configuration process or should I install DD-WRT on the router? Thanks.

Len

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #469 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:25 am »
Nick,

I'm a Linus newbie but have a bit of PC and networking experience. I've been prepping for the arrival of my Alix kit. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router which doesn't support assigning a static IP address. This was confirmed in multiple Google links. Is there a way to do this within the Voyage configuration process or should I install DD-WRT on the router? Thanks.

Len

You can set the Alix for static ip in /etc/networking/interfaces

Examples: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1296&bih=652&q=debian+static+ip&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=debian+sta

But, if you were goint to install ddwrt, I would. I've heard it's much more stable than the stock firmware.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #470 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:39 am »
You can set the Alix for static ip in /etc/networking/interfaces

Examples: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1296&bih=652&q=debian+static+ip&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=debian+sta

But, if you were goint to install ddwrt, I would. I've heard it's much more stable than the stock firmware.

Nick, thanks much!

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #471 on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:18 am »

You might also be able to use a Ethernet wireless bridge. It's a device that plugs into your ethernet port via a CAT 5 cable. A small box has a wi-fi radio that connects to your wireless router. Might be cheaper than getting a mini-pci card, pigtail cable and antenna.

Examples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPBRRW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000CEPCH&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B1EBF0Q356080AW3X4V

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1296&bih=652&q=ethernet+wireless+adapter&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

djn04

« Reply #472 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:41 pm »
You might also be able to use a Ethernet wireless bridge. It's a device that plugs into your ethernet port via a CAT 5 cable. A small box has a wi-fi radio that connects to your wireless router. Might be cheaper than getting a mini-pci card, pigtail cable and antenna.

Nick, thanks for all the suggestions. I just need to decide if I'm going to take the plunge now. I'm confident I can get this up and running now with the help of this board.

I just need to decide if this will be an improvement over Audirvana, Decibel, etc. running on my MacBook. I saw the exchange you had with Gordon Rankin about using a low powered single board set up as a music server and his preference for more CPU horsepower but it doesn't look like he ever tried MPD on a Alix board. The footprint of the alix is certainly an improvement over the MacBook though.

Lastly did you ever get the source code for the Bryston BDP-1? If so did you play around with it at all? Any potential for us USB dac guys there?
Thanks again for all the information.

praedet

« Reply #473 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:29 pm »
I guess this seems like a funny question, but how do I determine the name of the alix box?  I know what IP it is on my router (DIR-655), but a name is not popping up so I don't know what to put in for the name during the IP reservation.  THoughts?
Thanks,
Ted

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #474 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm »
I guess this seems like a funny question, but how do I determine the name of the alix box?  I know what IP it is on my router (DIR-655), but a name is not popping up so I don't know what to put in for the name during the IP reservation.  THoughts?

Ted,

IP reservation is usually done via MAC address. Does your router show you a list of MAC addresses linked to IP addresses?

praedet

« Reply #475 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm »
Yep,
I have the IP and MAC address lited in the router, and I have already ssh'ed into the alix box to go through the set-up.  I just want to make sure the IP stays the same.  With the DIR-655 it wants a Name, IP, and MAC address for the reservation...

After that I have to figure out how to see the music on my Windows Home Server...

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #476 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:51 pm »
Yep,
I have the IP and MAC address lited in the router, and I have already ssh'ed into the alix box to go through the set-up.  I just want to make sure the IP stays the same.  With the DIR-655 it wants a Name, IP, and MAC address for the reservation...

After that I have to figure out how to see the music on my Windows Home Server...

Oh, *that* name. That's just a label for you to know what box you're reserving an IP for. You can put Alix or music server. It's not a hostname.

praedet

« Reply #477 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm »
Cool,
got it!

Now, anyone know what fstab should look like for Windows Home Server shares?

nyc_paramedic

praedet

« Reply #479 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:59 pm »
^^^Tried that link and did not get it to work.  I can do it by using
mount -t cifs -o username=<username>,password=<password> //<ipaddress>/Music /mnt/tunes

So how do I translate that into a line for fstab?