Revisiting the X-Statik's...

Chops

Re: Revisiting the X-Statik's...
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
Any particular reason(s) why you never incorporated a rear firing tweeter on your OB designs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:20 am »
Any particular reason(s) why you never incorporated a rear firing tweeter on your OB designs?

The V-1 and Super-V are open baffle top to bottom.

Chops

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:34 am »
The V-1 and Super-V are open baffle top to bottom.

Okay, I know that. That isn't what I asked though... I asked why none of your OB designs, (the V's and OB-7, etc, etc), use rear firing tweeters.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #43 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:43 am »
The original V-1 did have a rear firing tweeter.
Soon after it came out, the 1 became dipole top to bottom by opening up the rear
of the coaxial and the x-over was re-designed to reflect this.

Myself and a few others still have the Original version.
One day I'll probably change the x-over and open the back.
But I'd like to upgrade to the Jupiter caps at the same time, so I have to save my
pennies first.......and find the time.

The version I have still knocks the socks off of all that hear it.....
Philes and non philes alike, but I have put a lot of time into room
treatments which I think really makes a difference in how these perform.

Chops

« Reply #44 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:25 pm »
Wow PDR, that's a beautiful room. I never knew that the V-1 had a rear firing tweeter or the Super-V with the modded tweeter back. Honestly, I never read up on the V's that much other than on the forums. Plus there's aren't too many pics of them, especially of the back.

Thanks for the pics and info!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #45 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:02 pm »
Beautiful room PDR! :thumb:

Is that a custom diffuser or is it commercially available? I'm looking into adding diffusion, but can't decide on which. Care to share details?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:13 pm »
Here is a picture of the rear of the Super-V's from RMAF2009.  The rear chamber is removed from the compression tweeter to make it open baffle. 

ebag4

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:20 pm »

Hey Perry, your room looks amazing.  I like the new diffuser, can you compare the sound to the parabolic diffuser?  I have some of the Pi Audio diffusers but I haven't taken the time to remove my parabolic and try them in that location, what improvements if any did you notice?

Best,
Ed

sch

« Reply #48 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:01 pm »
Congratulations!!! Wonderful room :thumb:
santiago

Chops

« Reply #49 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm »
Okay, my thread is rapidly veering off topic...

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 6 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm »
Will Super V be at next RMAF or will it be something new? If so... I may never hear a Super V. You guys only get one small room to work with huh? Too bad you can't show your full range of gear.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #51 on: 6 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm »
Sorry Chops......I'll explain in "My V-1s new digs" thread for those that want to know about the diffuser.

Chops

« Reply #52 on: 7 Jan 2012, 02:56 am »
Sorry Chops......I'll explain in "My V-1s new digs" thread for those that want to know about the diffuser.

No apologies PDR. It's alright. I'll be the first to admit, your system and room is a lot more impressive than mine.  :wink:

Chops

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:06 am »
Just as a small update...

I was tired of seeing my Monarchy Audio amp sitting there, unused. So this morning, I decided to hook it up to my Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. Keep in mind, the Onkyo is rated at 135 wpc and the little SM-70 Pro is rated at 25 wpc. To no real great surprise, the Monarchy amp sounds better. Granted, it's not leaps and bounds better, but it is considerably better.

Needless to say, I think the X-Statik's like the Class A amplification. There's a refined, earthy flair that moves the music more freely through the room. Easier and calmer, yet lively and energetic all at the same time.

This little amp is an amazing bit of kit!  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:20 pm »
The statiks are too good to be run by a simple receiver.  :nono:

Mine have been sounding really good on my homemade tube amp.  I've also tried them with my classdaudio SDS-258 and that drives them quite nicely too.  In this system I use a Bottlehead Quickie battery powered tube preamp, Rega P25 turntable and ipod touch with lossless files as upstream componants.

They sound good on my Outlaw 1070 receiver but still a step down from my tube gear.