My First Topic-What to Do

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #260 on: 17 Aug 2009, 08:17 pm »
1oldguy:
I am sorry to hear that you are selling everything (except BCD-1). I think most people are in shock given the equipment. I will, as others, strongly suggest sleeping on it a bit longer -- at least the 2 channel set-up. I have a 14B feeding 804S, and on older jazz recordings, the sound is on the bright side (this is a recording problem not an equipment problem). I listen mostly to classical music, however, where big symphonic work is presented with great detail and wonderful soundstage and I love my system. I played Mahler's 5th on the dealers 3BSST 804S combo and there was no going back. If you decide to keep and modify your set-up or decide to come-back at a later point, audition what you are buying with YOUR music on YOUR CDs.
Finally, if your decision stands, you might find CanuckAudiomart, and Audiogon sites much more appropriate for selling your hifi gear than eBay.
www.canuckaudiomart.com
www.audiogon.com
NB: audiogon will charge 3% if you make your sale through them.
Goodluck.

What surprises me is the expediency of this considering his  investment effort and advice offered here by extremely experience people.  the sound can be completely micro-managed through cabling and conditioning. Along with possible source alternative. I know the bcd is awesome but i am talking sacd alternative(remastered)  that offers all those titles he likes. He is going to get the same price now or 2 months from now so its doesnt make any sense not to hold off on it.

Hello werd,

So true werd and right to the point, used audio equipment really drops in price in a hurry - so what difference would a couple of months make?

Be well...

srb

« Reply #261 on: 17 Aug 2009, 08:31 pm »
He is going to get the same price now or 2 months from now so its doesnt make any sense not to hold off on it.

Good point.

What confused me through this whole thing was the perception that the sound was pretty much the same through headphones (without B&W 802 speakers and without Bryston 7B power amps).

I personally wouldn't make a move without in-home demoing a nice juicy tube preamp!  Might be just what the doctor ordered.

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #262 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:26 pm »
Best of luck selling your gear, old guy. Sorry it didn't work out for ya. But, c'est la vie, right?  :wink:

1oldguy

« Reply #263 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm »
Well it's not all bad.At least I don't have to bust my tail saving for an SP3.I will keep the sub and center for movies.
So for anyone interested in 7B's not even opened at a fantastic deal here I am.

vegasdave

« Reply #264 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:32 pm »
I disagree with the tube preamp idea...In my opinion, you match Bryston pre amp to Bryston amp for best results. In regards to impedance matching, among other things.

Like I said in an earlier post, I auditioned these Phase Tech speakers, and they were dull and muffled. Not sure why, but they were. It would have been easy to blame the Bryston equipment, but guess what? It wasn't the Bryston equipment. It was those wretched speakers! My lower-line JBLs are the opposite (if maybe a little bright,) but they sound good on all genres of music and many different types of recordings. Believe me when I say I've played some real lousy recordings through my system! Even the worst recordings sound at least somewhat listenable.

Viajero5000

« Reply #265 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:36 pm »
Building a sound system is like designing a car.  You have to know what you want out of it and build it that way

By that token I think 1oldguy was out looking for a Rolls and ended up ordering a Ferrari   :wink:

vegasdave

« Reply #266 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:37 pm »
Well it's not all bad.At least I don't have to bust my tail saving for an SP3.I will keep the sub and center for movies.
So for anyone interested in 7B's not even opened at a fantastic deal here I am.

That's good to know. I would, but unfortunately, I don't have the funds. I don't doubt that you will find a buyer, however. Sooner than later.

1oldguy

« Reply #267 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:41 pm »
By that token I think 1oldguy was out looking for a Rolls and ended up ordering a Ferrari   :wink:
[/quote]

I think that about sums it up. :duh: aa

Laundrew

« Reply #268 on: 17 Aug 2009, 11:06 pm »
I like many others have being following this thread with a lot of interest and I must admit that I am somewhat confused - more than normally that is.

Should not a great audio system reproduce different music genres to the same outstanding level?

I agree that a poorly recorded CD can definitely ruin the musical experience. When I went to audition my prospective systems, I walked in the door with a dozen or so CDs and tended not to listen to the dealer?s demo CDs until I first auditioned my music.

I had selections from Vivaldi to RUSH and from Persephone to Manson and I enjoyed them all equally on the system that I finally selected - subjectivity again? I used my own CDs because I wanted to hear how the music was reproduced on specific parts of vocals and instrumentals.

Want to hear a kicker? I am NOT a Jazz fan (or at least I thought so) and I actually enjoyed listening to the dealer's Jazz CDs - will wonders never cease?

I think that a great system should play anything you feed it exceptionally well.

Be well...     

Laundrew

« Reply #269 on: 18 Aug 2009, 12:14 am »
Best of luck selling your gear, old guy. Sorry it didn't work out for ya. But, c'est la vie, right?  :wink:

For the love of Peter vegasdave, you have got the wrong province :nono: :duh: :o

A more proper term would be....

"Now luh, da arse is gone right out of er!"

Remember, we are all different up here in Canada, eh?

:lol:

1oldguy

« Reply #270 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:35 am »
In order to move the amps I am willing to sell for $2999.99 each.

Dilbert

« Reply #271 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:12 pm »

I personally wouldn't make a move without in-home demoing a nice juicy tube preamp!  Might be just what the doctor ordered.

Steve

Or, just get a graphic equaliser from the 70's that is full of old dried up electrolytics and 741 op-amps! :lol:
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2009, 06:28 pm by Dilbert »

srb

« Reply #272 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:09 pm »
I disagree with the tube preamp idea...In my opinion, you match Bryston pre amp to Bryston amp for best results. In regards to impedance matching, among other things.

There are many people on AudioCircle and elsewhere, that have mated a tube preamp to very neutral solid state amps, including Bryston.  For them, it was the perfect solution, resulting in a less sterile analytical sound that to them sounded richer and fuller.

Impedance matching is important, but a reputable audio dealer should be able to recommend and offer appropriate models that have synergy.  But, of course, a demo in your room with your equipment and ears is the only way to know.

YMMV.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #273 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:49 pm »
Hi SRB .....

While you may be 100% right, I believe this was my limit as far as I am willing to go.My dealer has suggested a route that may be whats needed to get this on the right foot.So all isn't so bad.As I mentioned I'll be keeping the sub and center.And at some point pick up a meager receiver for music as well at music.I will end of with some type of system as I do have a love of music.Would never give that up.

drummermitchell

« Reply #274 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:05 pm »
I guess it's just like guitar amps,some prefer solidstate and some prefer tube.
It definately comes down to what WE like to hear,some like effects and some no effects.I like it all, if it gets to my emotions,Bryston does it for me :thumb:.

KeithA

« Reply #275 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:51 pm »
I guess it's just like guitar amps,some prefer solidstate and some prefer tube.
It definately comes down to what WE like to hear,some like effects and some no effects.I like it all, if it gets to my emotions,Bryston does it for me :thumb:.

Now there's where tubes belong aa aa

Keith

1oldguy

« Reply #276 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:57 pm »
Hi Keith

Now that's one lovely site.I see you have a vox there.I have the VTX 120 head in the closet ,never used it once.Never even got the cab for it.if you know anyone interested you know where I am. :thumb:

KeithA

« Reply #277 on: 18 Aug 2009, 04:03 pm »
Brandon

I knew you'd be lurking so I figured I'd post the pics for you  :wink:

Keith

vegasdave

« Reply #278 on: 18 Aug 2009, 04:08 pm »

There are many people on AudioCircle and elsewhere, that have mated a tube preamp to very neutral solid state amps, including Bryston.  For them, it was the perfect solution, resulting in a less sterile analytical sound that to them sounded richer and fuller.

Impedance matching is important, but a reputable audio dealer should be able to recommend and offer appropriate models that have synergy.  But, of course, a demo in your room with your equipment and ears is the only way to know.

YMMV.

Steve

Bryston is not sterile...it's got a lot of virility. ;)

Well, that would mean they like to color the sound with that tube device. To each is own, but it's not neutral sound or accurate stereophonic reproduction.

vegasdave

« Reply #279 on: 18 Aug 2009, 04:12 pm »

For the love of Peter vegasdave, you have got the wrong province :nono: :duh: :o

A more proper term would be....

Remember, we are all different up here in Canada, eh?

:lol:

Yes, I know about Canada...I grew up near the border in Detroit. haha.

What does this mean?  :?