My First Topic-What to Do

1oldguy

Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #300 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:20 pm »
That's some really impressive EQ.Thanks for the link.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #301 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:24 pm »
Dilbert: This is true, but why an eq?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #302 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:26 pm »
That's some really impressive EQ.Thanks for the link.

Thats a fairly standard 1/3 octave eq . Above that you would use a parametric eq.

You still need test kit to use this correctly.

Glad to hear you are finding out about the room, and the speakers are starting to run in, it really does take time............

Due to room size are you sticking to 2ch?

Maybe you should consier the Audyssey Room eq system or anything that has an auto setup system. Denon, Lexicon, NAD, Ultegra all have room EQ, there are others but I dont know or have not used them.......

Andy.

1oldguy

« Reply #303 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm »
Hi Andy

I figured why not at least turn it on. :thumb: :green: aa

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #304 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:24 pm »
Hello 1oldguy,

How goes the yard sale? Any bites as of yet?

Be well...

1oldguy

« Reply #305 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:48 pm »
HI Laundrew

I am about to begin the process of elimination and try to move on from the situation.

Laundrew

« Reply #306 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm »
Best of luck - I hope everything works out for you and at the end of the day you are happy :D I am going cable shopping tomorrow and will most likely pick up my BP26 - I am looking forward to when this is all over and I can sit down and just enjoy my music :drool:

Be well...

1oldguy

« Reply #307 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:17 am »
oddly enough...That's what I was doing before I bought my system. :duh:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #308 on: 22 Aug 2009, 09:33 am »
What are you intending to end up with?

2ch or 2ch+Center or 5ch or 5.1ch ?

Or not sure?

What's the room size?

What's the floor covering?

Windows with curtains?

Much furniture in the room?

All things that alter the perception of the reproduced audio.

1oldguy

« Reply #309 on: 22 Aug 2009, 11:27 am »
HI Andy

Sent You a P.M

B

SF

« Reply #310 on: 22 Aug 2009, 04:52 pm »
1oldguy;
Well it sounds like you might be starting to like the equipment as they open up. You might already know the following, and I am sorry for repeating them here, but it might help you.
1) Your bass output from the 802s is to some palpable extent dependent on how long and how thick your cable run from the 7Bs to the speakers. The cable runs should be as short as possible. The cables should also be as thick as possible. Thick short cables provide lease resistance to the amp, resulting in appropriate delevery of current to the 802s. This might be overkill, but for my 804s, I used a double run of Kimber 8TC (equivalent to 9Gau each) one to the woofer and one to the midrange/tweeter speakers posts. I then added another run of 12Gau Monster wire to the woofer. The entire run is 5 feet per speaker. Going from a single 16 Gau cable, this modification made the biggest difference in bass output of the 804s. Just remember that the 802s need a lot of current to function well (they are hard to drive based on impedance/phase characteristics)
2) If you feel that running in is helping the system, you can face the two speakers and then wire one speaker out of phase with the other so that the sound-waves it produces are out of phase with the other and cancel each other out. Then you can turn up the volume and leave the system to burn-in for prolonged periods, e.g. throughout the night, with minimal sound pressure (volume) in your room.
Hope this helps.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #311 on: 22 Aug 2009, 08:52 pm »
So you're tri-wiring, true? My speaker cables are 6.5 ft. per side. 10 gauge. I hope this is not compromising the sound! (I doubt that it is)

Also, I plan to bi-wire sometime in the future. How does bi and tri wire improve the sound, in your opinion?

Laundrew

« Reply #312 on: 23 Aug 2009, 12:34 am »
Best of luck - I hope everything works out for you and at the end of the day you are happy :D I am going cable shopping tomorrow and will most likely pick up my BP26 - I am looking forward to when this is all over and I can sit down and just enjoy my music :drool:

Be well...

A great day! I like it when a plan comes together :banana piano:

1oldguy

« Reply #313 on: 23 Aug 2009, 12:08 pm »
1oldguy;
Well it sounds like you might be starting to like the equipment as they open up. You might already know the following, and I am sorry for repeating them here, but it might help you.
1) Your bass output from the 802s is to some palpable extent dependent on how long and how thick your cable run from the 7Bs to the speakers. The cable runs should be as short as possible. The cables should also be as thick as possible. Thick short cables provide lease resistance to the amp, resulting in appropriate delevery of current to the 802s. This might be overkill, but for my 804s, I used a double run of Kimber 8TC (equivalent to 9Gau each) one to the woofer and one to the midrange/tweeter speakers posts. I then added another run of 12Gau Monster wire to the woofer. The entire run is 5 feet per speaker. Going from a single 16 Gau cable, this modification made the biggest difference in bass output of the 804s. Just remember that the 802s need a lot of current to function well (they are hard to drive based on impedance/phase characteristics)
2) If you feel that running in is helping the system, you can face the two speakers and then wire one speaker out of phase with the other so that the sound-waves it produces are out of phase with the other and cancel each other out. Then you can turn up the volume and leave the system to burn-in for prolonged periods, e.g. throughout the night, with minimal sound pressure (volume) in your room.
Hope this helps.

HI SF

The speakers wire used is 3 feet long from Bryston.I think it's 9 gauge.Oddly enough even though my room isn't the best we all tend to think that the T.V speakers blow the 802 away in terms of projection and High ReZ Detail.I would imagine this sounds rather strange to anyone reading this but the Kuro Speakers gave me what 802's didn't.I think b&W should talk to pioneer to put it mildly.

Laundrew

« Reply #314 on: 23 Aug 2009, 01:50 pm »
1oldguy;
Hope this helps.

HI SF

The speakers wire used is 3 feet long from Bryston.I think it's 9 gauge.Oddly enough even though my room isn't the best we all tend to think that the T.V speakers blow the 802 away in terms of projection and High ReZ Detail.I would imagine this sounds rather strange to anyone reading this but the Kuro Speakers gave me what 802's didn't.I think b&W should talk to pioneer to put it mildly.

A great many Individuals purchase B&W speakers (after they audition them of course) and enjoy them immensely - as many others have said before, audio can be very subjective at times. I do not believe that B&W has to speak with Pioneer :scratch:

Be well...

Dilbert

« Reply #315 on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:52 pm »
Dilbert: This is true, but why an eq?

Maybe get the sound he is looking for? I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought.... :|

1oldguy

« Reply #316 on: 23 Aug 2009, 05:26 pm »
I have decided that I will be selling the center and all Bryston amps.Just need to take get a camera for some picks.

Viajero5000

« Reply #317 on: 23 Aug 2009, 06:16 pm »
[quote author=SF link=we all tend to think that the T.V speakers blow the 802 away in terms of projection and High ReZ Detail.I would imagine this sounds rather strange to anyone reading this but the Kuro Speakers gave me what 802's didn't.I think b&W should talk to pioneer to put it mildly.

Haha, I've heard a few hifi yarns in my time, but this one takes the cake! you the man 1oldguy!  :lol: 

Laundrew

« Reply #318 on: 23 Aug 2009, 07:44 pm »
I have decided that I will be selling the center and all Bryston amps.Just need to take get a camera for some picks.

Hello 1oldguy

Are you keeping the 802s now? 

srb

« Reply #319 on: 23 Aug 2009, 07:49 pm »

Hello 1oldguy

Are you keeping the 802s now?

That would be weird, as the sound 1oldguy doesn't care for has everything to do with the (not-fully-broken-in) speakers and the room, and very little to do with the amps.

Steve