Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #440 on: 16 Mar 2022, 05:35 pm »
Hi Clive - not sure why that is occurring.

Email Adam and see if he can help - atanner@bryston.com

james

bokko

« Reply #441 on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:18 pm »
Anyone have their front display go dark after the new MDP update S2.45 2022-03-21

Roon Bridge stopped working, so using a PC again for Roon, volume is finally functional with remote, balance works again from remote.
I have to agree with Clive it seems to sound a touch better...

Have an RA but don't want to cause unnecessary cost of return if not required. Display does come back on like there is display dimming going on, which would make sense for longevity of display, wouldn't mind it being adjustable sometimes its nice to see for company and potential clients.
While it has its frustrations the sound is so so good.

Clive197

« Reply #442 on: 25 Mar 2022, 04:19 pm »
Anyone have their front display go dark after the new MDP update S2.45 2022-03-21

This can be avoided if on turn-on you wait until the OLED Display says Stream BR20 Stopped before you choose to access Manic Moose. Once a track is selected the display will correctly show track/Artist.

bokko

« Reply #443 on: 25 Mar 2022, 08:05 pm »
Thanks

steveoat

« Reply #444 on: 26 Mar 2022, 04:05 pm »
Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the BR-20.  I am especially happy to have a product with HDMI, since most AV receivers are not of audiophile quality.

I am hoping that with the new HDMI standards you will eventually release an updated card.

Also, hoping you incorporate HDMI into more of your products, especially preamps, dacs and integrateds.

Clive197

« Reply #445 on: 29 Mar 2022, 10:42 am »
I’ve downloaded new firmware for my BR-20 (S-45) which is now as stable as Jelly!. I still need to recycle mains every one or two days. I’ve e-mailed Adam at Bryston and have not had any reply after 10 days. I’ve contacted PMC here in the UK and as yet still not had any reply (2 weeks).

I still love the sound of my BR-20 BUT!!!.  Hardware great, Firmware not so.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #446 on: 29 Mar 2022, 01:53 pm »
I’ve downloaded new firmware for my BR-20 (S-45) which is now as stable as Jelly!. I still need to recycle mains every one or two days. I’ve e-mailed Adam at Bryston and have not had any reply after 10 days. I’ve contacted PMC here in the UK and as yet still not had any reply (2 weeks).

Hi Clive

We have a new version of software that we have submitted to ROON for certification that should fix the issue you are experiencing.

I hope to be able to release that version very soon.

james

Castor_troy75

« Reply #447 on: 29 Mar 2022, 09:41 pm »
Hi,

Any of you experienced turning the volume dial up or down but the display did not change?

By the way I got the latest firmware installed.

Castor

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #448 on: 30 Mar 2022, 10:12 pm »

Testsystems

« Reply #449 on: 31 Mar 2022, 02:58 pm »
James,  Excellent News BR-20 is Roon Certified.  Looking forward to details in the next few days!  Cheers Drew

bokko

« Reply #450 on: 9 Apr 2022, 03:04 pm »
Good Day

I have both network ports on BR-20 connected to my switch. Using the network I give them network reservations (dedicated ip addresses). Was told I couldn’t connect both but find doing so doesn’t make problems worse. My volume and balance are problematic from remote so need BCON to take control. When this remote volume problem occurs my power icon goes olive if that helps.

If you can do you tube video (anything streaming) on a mac, iphone or ipad you can use airplay to get it to BR-20. To do so you need to enable the Shairport sync feature which should turn off moose/MDP. Then BR-20 should show on airplay menu on your device. Now its important you shut off Roon’s or another applications attachments to airplay or you will get conflicts. Apple music must be off before I use Roon and vice versa.

I purchased a mini-pc for lossless Apple Music playback via asio layer connected to USB port on BR-20.
So I click on HDMI port its connected to for video to work then click on USB. This allows hdmi out on BR-20 to stay active while you listen to USB audio sweetness.

I go in windows sound control panel applet and set output to 24/192 (highest bitrate) apple music lossless does. I did add a linear power supply (based on R-core) and have to turn sub down two ticks. Over two weeks the refinements, details, image, started to show through. 650 total investment better than streamers in that cost range. Can then use PC for tidal, video playback, anything with a application. 650 is cheaper than an iPad Air or Mac Mini but both are also good options. You won’t upgrade Linear PS as easily…

If you don’t have HDMI on BR-20 connect pc directly to a TV or Monitors using HDMi just make sure your primary sound card is USB asio layer (the name is BDA-3).

Have a detailed explanation on what was purchased in Roon Community under Jerry_B
If using for more than apple music buy a NUC with i5. Know steamer will work soon so my concern was only apple music. The old apple Remote app is still there. With access to playlists and transport control.
Once I upgraded LPS the SQ blew my old iPad Air 2 out water. Prior to upgrade matched it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #451 on: 12 Apr 2022, 01:43 pm »

emcallaway

« Reply #452 on: 13 Apr 2022, 01:41 pm »
James this is great news!  I updated to the latest firmware today (dated 4/12), but still only see "Roon Bridge" as one of the services to select, not "Roon Ready." Is there a subsequent firmware update coming, or some other trick to implement the new capabilities?

jbuzas

« Reply #453 on: 13 Apr 2022, 02:53 pm »
Did you update the "BCON" side as well?  When you update the firmware, it will show a link to instructions for updating the processor software, which requires moving your ethernet cable from the streaming port to the SVC (service) port and then installing a file, etc.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #454 on: 13 Apr 2022, 04:03 pm »
Did you update the "BCON" side as well?  When you update the firmware, it will show a link to instructions for updating the processor software, which requires moving your ethernet cable from the streaming port to the SVC (service) port and then installing a file, etc.

Manic Moose should prompt you to update the BCON firmware as well, if it is you may want to check the system settings page to make sure the update installed, should read S2.45-2022-03-28

Chris

emcallaway

« Reply #455 on: 13 Apr 2022, 06:30 pm »
I actually did just the BCON update, per the instructions on the support.bryston.com download site.  Then I reset the DEFAULT EEPROM as instructed.  Everything appeared to work, with the reboot, unplug, reboot, etc., but the while the firmware says it is the right version (2022_03e), the "about" section still has a Nov. 2021 date (S2.44 2021-11-01).  I've done this process three times now. 

When I reconnect to the streaming plug, and try to do an update directly in manic moose, it tells me the I should re-download because the checksums don't match.  I've now done that twice. Sometimes it just shows an endless blinking hash mark.  Any advice on how to force the update?  Am I doing it in the wrong order?

Last potential clue: logging in to my.bryston, the first page includes this:

It clearly does have a connection, however, as it's streaming just fine via roon.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2022, 08:52 pm by emcallaway »

bokko

« Reply #456 on: 14 Apr 2022, 12:13 am »
Lets assume the bryston is okay.

From your internet connection out do you have a wire running to switch or directly to BR-20?
Just general network suggestions. It is important that wire from modem stays on wan port of router. That a switch is installed on the network ports of router. If modem is in router again if you need a switch at stereo its important that it run from network ports. So outward from center like a web. For instance the red port on a Bell 3000 modem can’t be used if you are on fibre

emcallaway

« Reply #457 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:52 pm »
Well, apparently it just needed a good night's sleep.  This morning, Manic Moose provided a smooth firmware update, and Roon Ready mode is available.  None of the issues from yesterday are recurring. :scratch:
Thanks all.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #458 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:53 pm »
Great news !

Clive197

« Reply #459 on: 14 Apr 2022, 04:41 pm »

After 1 week from downloading new Firmware supplied by Bryston and 2 days for the new Software I am pleased to report that the Jelly has set very hard. No issues at all. It’s possible I think that the return to factory setting after installing the new Bin file resolved the recycle every few days issue, just a thought. If it was the firmware, why didn’t everyone else have the same issues that I’ve experienced?

Over the year that I have owned the BR-20 I have loved the sound that is achieved but the firmware/software problems have been very frustrating. Let’s hope that everything is now sorted.