Your favorite Drummers, tub-thumpers and general noisemakers-living and deceased

jimdgoulding

That dude can play!  Saw him on the DVD of Bonnaroo 2004.  Geez!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yea, thanks Jim. Matt can really rock it.

but.....For anybody wanting absolute technical perfection, can check out "KODO".
Nothing like a bunch of nakid men from Japan playing drums bigger then them.  :thumb:

Mike Nomad

Since we are talking about favorites...

Terry Bozzio
Bill Bruford
Vinnie Colaiuta
Mickey Hart
Bill Kreutzmann
Jaki Liebezeit
Zigaboo Modeliste
Sugarfoot Moffett
Keith Moon
Michael Shrieve
Jabo Starks

hi-fi

Hi, my first post after joining AC, so thank you for such a great site for all things audio (and more!).  As Mike Nomad listed in his post, Michael Shrieve was my first influence and has always been at the top of my list.  Not so much because of his solo at Woodstock or the first 3 Santana albums, as his drumming and its compliment to the percussion sections are a style unlike I've heard both then and now, but the synergy and maturity which evolved in the Caravanserai and Welcome albums.  Michael weaves in and out of the percussion section so masterfully that he's never wearing any one hat as the drummer.  Much in the way that Keith Moon played with a seemingly abandoned genious, Michael's style and compliment to the music is not one that can really be emulated or copied no matter how well it's studied.  It goes beyond technical ability and is on a level of musicianship that served and a key ingredient that defined the style of music Santana was making.  Caravanserai and Welcome are masterworks in my opinion, for both the band and Michael.  I only use Keith Moon as a metaphor because it would be like substituting another drummer to play on Tommy or Who's next, and even though such substitutions can be said about any band or musician to some degree, those albums would not have the same musically iconic relevence that will always make them timeless works of art.  No technical ability can substitute for artistic soul, and though there are many musicians beside Michael that may exceed him in some areas, if I was able to have a mind and ability like any other drummer, Michael's at that time period will always be what I think of as my most memorable and inspirational drummer.

There are many great drummers in this category, but my favorite locking down the groove masters would have to be Ringo Starr, Jim Keltner and Andy Newmark.  Again, technical abilities are fun and watching various pyrotechni-drummers like Mike Portnoy or Vinnie Calaiuta are enough to make you want to throw your sticks in the garbage can, there's an element of importance that must speak on an emotional level.  Of course Mike and Vinnie are very capable that way, but it's what's left to the music after the home-run hitters have left the field that defines what I feel is the quality of an artist at the end of my day.  I guess I'm trying to say I value musicality and artistsry over high-impact spectacle (which I love too!), but I'm thinking I still failed to avoid casting unintended insults due to my inability to articulate my thoughts well enough.   :(

Mike Nomad

Hi, my first post after joining AC, so thank you for such a great site for all things audio (and more!).  As Mike Nomad listed in his post, Michael Shrieve was my first influence and has always been at the top of my list.  Not so much because of his solo at Woodstock or the first 3 Santana albums, as his drumming and its compliment to the percussion sections are a style unlike I've heard both then and now, but the synergy and maturity which evolved in the Caravanserai and Welcome albums.  Michael weaves in and out of the percussion section so masterfully that he's never wearing any one hat as the drummer.  Much in the way that Keith Moon played with a seemingly abandoned genious, Michael's style and compliment to the music is not one that can really be emulated or copied no matter how well it's studied.  It goes beyond technical ability and is on a level of musicianship that served and a key ingredient that defined the style of music Santana was making.  Caravanserai and Welcome are masterworks in my opinion, for both the band and Michael.  I only use Keith Moon as a metaphor because it would be like substituting another drummer to play on Tommy or Who's next, and even though such substitutions can be said about any band or musician to some degree, those albums would not have the same musically iconic relevence that will always make them timeless works of art.  No technical ability can substitute for artistic soul, and though there are many musicians beside Michael that may exceed him in some areas, if I was able to have a mind and ability like any other drummer, Michael's at that time period will always be what I think of as my most memorable and inspirational drummer.

There are many great drummers in this category, but my favorite locking down the groove masters would have to be Ringo Starr, Jim Keltner and Andy Newmark.  Again, technical abilities are fun and watching various pyrotechni-drummers like Mike Portnoy or Vinnie Calaiuta are enough to make you want to throw your sticks in the garbage can, there's an element of importance that must speak on an emotional level.  Of course Mike and Vinnie are very capable that way, but it's what's left to the music after the home-run hitters have left the field that defines what I feel is the quality of an artist at the end of my day.  I guess I'm trying to say I value musicality and artistsry over high-impact spectacle (which I love too!), but I'm thinking I still failed to avoid casting unintended insults due to my inability to articulate my thoughts well enough.   :(

Welcome hi-fi,

Nice post. I wouldn't worry about "casting unintended insults" around here. You'll see plenty of intended insults if you stick around long enough...

And that's what happens when the vectors of interest, passion, and opinion converge. Music has as much power as sex to move people.

So, stick around.

Peace,

Mike

jimdgoulding

Nice post, Mike.  Welcome, hi-fi.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Welcome Mike!!! :thumb:

R_burke

Virgil Donati
Jack DeJohnette
Jeff Sipe

drummermitchell

For funk,David Garibaldi(Tower of Power).

mightym

Drummers:

Buddy Rich
     Art Blakey

Tub thumpers and general noisemakers, well, I like the Blue man group for this category :wink:

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
I'll add a really obscure drum player, Nigel Pegrum, who backed Steeleye Span for many years.  I heard them live a bunch of times, and he was one of the tightest drummers I ever had the pleasure  of playing air drum duets with!

Probably my all-time favorite has gotta tie between Keith Moon and Ginger Baker, though I admire many of the others mentioned here, as well.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Tub thumpers and general noisemakers, well, I like the Blue man group for this category :wink:
Oh yea, how could I have forgotten? Good catch Mr. Mouse.
In the same viegn[sp?], there's also those "Stomp" fellas. I don't know much about them, but they might be considered here.

Bob

Deftone

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Just ran across Cindy Blackwell.
She's the drummer for Lenny Kravitz (and possibly the wife of Carlos Santana??)

Here's a video of her "solo jazz jam thing" going on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xQuNMZLMc&feature=related

Here's a video of her at the 2009 TamTam DrumFest;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldT9JIQAWI&NR=1

Enjoy.  8)
Bob

Mike Nomad

Just ran across Cindy Blackwell.
She's the drummer for Lenny Kravitz (and possibly the wife of Carlos Santana??)

Cindy must be _very_ new Wife #2: Carlos has [had] been married to Deborah King (daughter of Saunders King) for decades.

neekomax

I'm a groove guy. I nominate two guys with very different styles:

Questlove (Ahmir Khalib Thompson) - Deepest grooves. Did the most ever with the fewest notes possible on D'Angeo's legendary Voodoo album and tour. Lives the Miles Davis edict, 'It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you DON'T play." See him lay it down with Pino Palladino on bass here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygCeBoYD9ps

Steve Gadd - Lotsa notes. Amazing groove. Love this video of him showing how he plays '50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZLLYEzKE8