Your favorite Drummers, tub-thumpers and general noisemakers-living and deceased

weitrhino

If it weren't for Jimmy Chamberlin the Smashing Pumpkins would never have succeeded.  Corgan knew this, too.

mfsoa

I'm almost hesitant to name any, since if I leave anyone out it might seem like a deliberate snub.
But the immediate contenders- (based on 40 years of either active drumming or loving drum-centric music)

Alltime emotional favorite - The Eternally Funky One Mr. Billy Cobham
Current top Monster - Dennis Chambers
Greatest (ugh, what a too-absolute word!)  Jazz guy - Tony Williams
Master of All - Trilok Gurtu

Most overrated - Carl Palmer.
#2 Overrated - Neil Peart. Now I know that Peart is a great drummer, for the limited, restrictive style of music Rush plays. But I don't feel that he is near the top of the Chambers/Colaiuta(sp?)/ class at all.  If a Peart fan can link a YouTube solo to me that will blow me away, I'd appreciate it. The clips I saw of him leading the Buddy Rich big-band were barely more than meh, to me.  A great drummer for sure, yet vastly overrated at the same time.

Eclein - An Alan Dawson story for you, (IIRC) - Vinnie Colaiuta went to Berkeley and quickly passed through the undergrad stuff and went right to the top-level drum class, as we see now that he should. His training at Berkeley then consisted of him and Steve Smith (I think that's who the other student was) sitting around with the teacher Alan Dawson listening to Tony Williams records trying to figure out what Tony was doing!!  After a semester Alan kinda kicked Vinnie out saying there's nothing here for you, son, go get 'em.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
mfsoa- A Billy Cobham tale...I was a Fibes guy like Cobham so I met him and saw him play at "The Main Point" in Bryn Mawr, PA...little BYOB club in Phily burbs it has since closed and might be reopened again but not sure. I sat in the first row, Cobham's kick drum then me, I could have tuned it for him, changed heads-that close. He hung all of his cymbals flat and struck them with the his stick on the side of each cymbal- really hard, Cobham hard and I was showered by wood chips all night from his sticks which might last two songs and looked like Christmas trees when they were retired. I loose myself in the music and he's incredible and at the end I stood up and my legs and sweater were absolutely covered in wood chips and I look around and a couple of us up front had been molested by wood chips......he literally went through a crate size box, probably 100 sticks easy, all shredded, I kept a handful of wood chips for the longest time....mojo chips I thought, amazing power..he is the only guy that made Fibes drums sound good because I believe the drums actually feared him...LOL... :thumb: :thumb:

drphoto

All these discussions tend to devolve into the 'who's the greatist' sort of thing. I could care less if someone has great technique on any instrument if they make it work musically given the situation.

For example, the drummer from AC/DC. He friggin' kicks ass. The band would not be the same without him. He probably doesn't know a 'paradiddle' from a 'ping pong paddle', but so what? It works in context.

Sorry, hope that doesn't sound like a rant, and it is not aimed at anyone, just a comment.

And that being said, I think Phil Collins was one hell of a drummer.  Seriously.

jimdgoulding

Cobham is awesome on Santana/McLaughlin's Love, Devotion, Surrender in particular on The Life Divine* but is terribly mixed down and muddied in the mix.  Still, you know it.

*go directly to your player and insert or put on.

Eric

Niel Peart
Mick Fleetwood
Roger Taylor
Keith Moon
Buddy Guy
Ginger Baker
John Bonham
Jerry Allison

jimdgoulding

Cobham is awesome on Santana/McLaughlin's Love, Devotion, Surrender in particular on The Life Divine* but is terribly mixed down and muddied in the mix.  Still, you know it.

*go directly to your player and insert or put on.
I have to put a footnote to this album and collaboration.  Larry Young on organ!  Jan Hammer on drums?  Doug Rauch on bass and any musician will tell you his departure was pre-mature.  This album has more energy and conviction than anything you may have ever heard.  McLaughlin's playing against the tempo (The Life Divine) is something unheard of and so lyrical.  This album is one of a kind and needs to be heard by lovers of high energy music.  Everyone of you.

Coltrane's A Love Supreme as played by said ain't no slouch either.

eclein

• Volunteer
drphoto brings up a great point and it goes with all instruments and bands, Ringo was perfect for the BEATLES, imagine them playing with Keith Moon?, like this hobby and most things that work together Synergy is key...Phillies won a World Series with a team made up of chemistry more so than talent one year, the EAGLES were the EAGLES because of the individuals involved in the project not because of a bunch of A+++++ players, think about it, it holds true with most things involving 2 or more pieces to work/run correctly.

I just wanted to throw that in the mix, that being said I can't believe I didn't mention RINGO in my list..... :thumb:

geowak

Terry Bozzio
John Bonham
Billy Cobham
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

kevinh

Great List some not mentioned:

Michael Shrieve
Jack Dejohnette
Zakir Hussein
Antonio Sanchez

martyo

Jack Dejohnette
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2011, 07:39 am by martyo »

jackman

Chad Smith - I have seen him play live several times and he completely kicks butt.  One of my all-time favorites and a cool dude.

John Bonham - Led Zep was not the same without him.  Wait, maybe he's my favorite!

Keith Moon - mad genius on the skins. 

Jimmy Chamberlain - I agree with the previous guy, he was the heart of the Pumpkins.  I've seen them with other drummers (when he was kicked off) and it wasn't the same.

Zack Starkey - Ringo's brilliant son who is the reincarnation of Keith Moon (as far as I'm concerned).  Awesome talent and fun to watch.

Ginger Baker - I always loved his loose style with the double bass.  He wasn't flashy but always played in a style that was perfect for the songs. 

Stewart Copeland - Where would the Police have been without the blonde dude smacking the skins?  A true artist.

Terry Bozzio - What do you want, speed?  Technical skill?  Something unique?  No problem, Bozzo cold do anything.  He is a monster talent. 

Ian Paice (spelling?)  - Deep Purple doesn't get a lot of love around here but Ian could play impossible drum pieces with blinding speed and precision without breaking a sweat. 

Dave Lombardo - Slayer!  I know it might not be the music of 40+ year old dudes but listen to this guy sometime.  He plays things on the drums that are impossible for the other 99.99999% of the drummers in the world to play.  For this type of music, Lombardo has few peers.

Danny Carey -  Listen to Tool and it's impossible not to be astounded by Danny's drum work.  This list is not in order, or he would be very close to the top.  Crazy complex rythms. 

Matt Cameron - Soundgarden.  My kind of Rock and Roll drummer.  Not in the technical league of some of the others mentioned but rock solid and awesome. 

Vinnie Paul - Pantera.  Listen to Pantera sometime.  Even if you don't like this type of music, Vinnie's talent on the drums will hit you on the head like a lead pipe.  He is a crazy, MONSTER of power drumming.  Vinnie on drums and Dimebag on guitar were a force.   

Freo-1

There are too many to list them all.  A few additional mentions that come to mind:

1) Philly Joe Jones
2) Gene Krupa  (The grandfather of all modern drumming)
3) Buddy Rich
4) Ginger Baker
5) Carmine Appice
6) Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane)
7) Rod De'Ath (Rory Gallagher)

And so many more....

kevinh

Read an article in Downbeat from the late 60's. They were talking to Elvin Jones and asking his opinion of a couple of K Moon and G Baker, he of course had never heard ot either guy  :lol:, he thought Moon was a really good drummer thought Baker wasn't good.

BTW left out Art Blakey and C Watts.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Most of the kids from Drum Corps International (DCI).  Imagine high school marching band/color guard on steroids, terrific shows that are a great way to spend a summer evening with your kids/grandkids/fellow AC pals. Fantastic music, choreography, arrangments, balls-to-the-wall showmanship, you name it! Coming soon to a city near you at http://www.dci.org/schedule/.

They are traveling competitions (usually 5-6 corps per show) in a summer-long tournament with the world championships held in Indianapolis. :notworthy:

If any youngsters are the future of audio, these are the ones.   :thumb:

simoon

Here are a few notables.

Virgil Donati - this guy is in a class of his own.
Marco Minniman
Bill Bruford
Vinnie Colaiuta
Furio Chirico
Billy Cobham
Gary Husband
Michael Waldon
Tony Williams

eclein

• Volunteer
Here are a few notables.

Virgil Donati - this guy is in a class of his own.

simoon do you have any links to CD's he has done or names you can toss out I'd like to hear him, I never heard of him so I'm interested...Thanks

werd

Here's one for you Ed..... Animal from the muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56sZOUPegUw

eclein

• Volunteer
Werd I forgot to list him OMG!!! I loved "Animal"....LOL

werd

I please to aim and i aim to please.....  :thumb: