Powerful Amp Needs Higher Sensitivity Speakers?

srb

Re: Powerful Amp Needs Higher Sensitivity Speakers?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:20 pm »
If I can get around $400 for my Minuets, then I can get speakers in the $600 or so and under region. I'd love to get the speakers you mention, or Quad 12L passives, but I can't afford it.

The Quad 12L or 12L2 periodically come up for sale on Audiogon in the ~ $400-$500 range.  They are rated at 88dB with a 6.5" woofer (as opposed to my 86dB 11L with 5" woofer).

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #41 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:23 pm »
MWG- Your in Massachusetts correct?? or somewhere else? because I got JBL's laying around you could try if you near by Allentown...just a thought. :dance:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:35 pm »
Steve, are you saying that the Quads would not be a good match?

Eclein: I'm indeed in Masssachusetts. Thanks, though.

srb

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:42 pm »
Steve, are you saying that the Quads would not be a good match?

Not at all (as I re-read my post!).  I am saying that they are likely a very good match and would give you more of what you want (extended bass and higher efficiency) than their smaller 11L brother.

Steve

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm »
I hope I'm right that the 12L comes in a non-active version.

srb

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jan 2011, 07:05 pm »
I hope I'm right that the 12L comes in a non-active version.

Yes, both the 12L and 12L2 come in a passive version, and I see them periodically for sale on Audiogon, but right now there is only one listing for the active version.

Buying used is most often a wait and pounce proposition, if offered at a good price by a positively reviewed seller.  If you want to make sure an item doesn't get by you, do a daily search of the "New Today" listings with the Find function in your browser, as listings can sometimes take a portion of the day before they are indexed and show up with the Audiogon Search function.

Steve

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #46 on: 16 Jan 2011, 07:59 pm »
MWG....

You might also search here for other AC members that might be close by where you live...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=88.0

Maybe have a listen to a few other pairs of speakers that they own. :thumb:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #47 on: 16 Jan 2011, 08:38 pm »
So the speaker search begins in earnest!

How long did it take you to 'orphan' the Minuets?  :)

If you can stretch yourself, just a bit, the Magnepan 1.6s are worth considering.

Your room is large enough and you have enough power with your amp.

They will transport you to a very different place than the Minuets.

With the rush to the new 1.7s, prices have fallen and are likely negotiable, since many are available and folks are keen to move on & up.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #48 on: 16 Jan 2011, 09:46 pm »
I'd love to try the Maggies, but the space I have for my speakers is not large enough. I could not place them very far into the room at all. Also, aren't they pretty high? They would block some windows. I'd like to listen to them, though.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jan 2011, 09:56 pm »
I like the GR-Research V2's - giant sound from quite compact speakers.  They are DIY, but I have a pair of assembled crossovers I'd be willing to let go at cost (as well as a pair of amps for the bass section).  All you'd have to do is get the drivers and build a cabinet for them.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #50 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm »
All you'd have to do is get the drivers and build a cabinet for them.

I appreciate this very much. But I am totally, completely and hoplessly inept at building things and know I would never be able to assemble these speakers.

There's a new listing for a pair of Tekton 6.5 T speakers on Audiogon. Never heard any Tektons but they interest me. Does anyone know how they sound?

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm »

There's a new listing for a pair of Tekton 6.5 T speakers on Audiogon. Never heard any Tektons but they interest me. Does anyone know how they sound?

Check with Mariusz over on the Cheap and Cheerful boards. They have discussed Tekton.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm »
I'd love to try the Maggies...

If I can get around $400 for my Minuets, then I can get speakers in the $600 or so and under region.

You could buy a brand new pair of Magnepan MMGs for that; however a used pair would be cheaper and already broken in, but you have to act quick because they sell very fast.  Without a question they are arguably the most popular and most loved speakers at that price point.  And your Arte Forma would be perfect for them.  They're not too tall and 3' should be enough space between them and the back wall.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:40 pm »
The tektons are usually said to sound like Zu's stuff which I have not heard but maybe you have MWG. I'm tellin ya..Craigslist is a friggin gold mine. Patience, check a couple times a day and BOOM...you'll score some KEFor JBL or whatever, they always pop up. It might be weird to like do Craigslist for ya but its really not a bad experience. I have never had _selling /or buying any weirdness or negative experiences and met some really nice folks that just want stuff out of the way!!! I've seen Maggies, REVEL, Bose, and countless other actually good speakers.... I'm sorry, I get pumped ...I'm going now.... :surrender:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #54 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm »
Mass,

That Hsu sub would be too small for your room (based on the VTF-2 I use for HT in a 14 ft x 17 ft room). 

Your speaker/sub budget is out of line (way too low) with the rest of your system (quality wise).

If you're bound and determined to swap speakers and can't DIY, here's a recommended speaker that should fill the room with lots of bass (rated down to 40 Hz) for $500/pair:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/elemental_designs_a6-6t6.htm

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Note that I've never heard these speakers, but based on their price, design, and very limited credentials of the company I doubt they will live up the quality of the rest of your system, but this might be as good as you'll get going this route.

You should step back, attend a local audio rave, read more reviews.  What your system seems to be lacking is the toughest, most expensive territory in audio (the bottom two octaves).  Hang in there.  A better quality/cheaper solution will present itself.

Take care.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2011, 11:46 pm »
JLM, I know what you mean. I could, I guess, sell the amp and buy a ClassD Audio unit and install the power supply. Then wit the extra money I could raise my speaker limit.

Man! Those Tekton speakers sold already. Not even listed for one day.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 17 Jan 2011, 12:20 am »
Tekton and Zu are hot, hot right now!!!

nodiak

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:01 am »
MWG, just my opinion, but all you said you were missing is a palpable feeling, which sounds like bass foundation. Before you start selling pieces that you may miss the sound or synergy of you should see if you can try to demo a sub or bigger speakers in your current system somehow. Seems you might be in a city? Maybe an AC member can help you with this.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #58 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:17 am »
+1.

Don't rob Peter to pay Paul.

( Where's the merry go round smiley when you need one? )

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #59 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:37 am »
Yes, I agree with your collective point. I want to concentrate on finding a bookshelf speaker with at least a 5 1/2 inch woofer. My living room is too crowded as it is to add yet another speaker such as a subwoofer. Oh, if only the world could understand us and our plight.

What or who is Zu?

Any opinions about the Totem Mite?