Need cheep and cheerful bookshelf speakers

brooklyn

Re: Need cheep and cheerful bookshelf speakers
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:28 pm »
Thanks Timind, the Audioengine P4’s are on my list of options for a new pair or speakers, they would certainly fit the bill. Milford, thanks for mentioning the Axioms, I have heard of them and it looks like a pair of the V4’s could work. Frank, the Accuracy Monitors look like a really nice speaker for the money. I’m not sure how a long throw woofer would play in a near field setup. I don’t think I mentioned that I will only be sitting no more then 3 feet away from the speakers.

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2016, 04:36 pm by brooklyn »

hifitommy

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2016, 08:14 pm »
my choice would be the ELAC B5s for $229.  smaller than the B6 yet quite extended in the lows yet not fat there.  and they could easily graduate to your main system, they are THAT good.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-360898-elac-debut-b5-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

i HAVE heard them in person at THE Show Newport in 2014.  they were one of the raves of the show.

hdspeakerman

borism

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2016, 01:06 am »
I think the OP stated that he lives in an apartment and has no possibility of DIY.

There are also some Blumenstein Orcas for sale on AC.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139718.0

brooklyn

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2016, 07:18 am »
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations, they were all very good. I think the Elac B5’s
would be the best fit for my application although I wouldn’t have minded giving some of the
other speakers a listen.. thanks for the heads up hifitommy.

I already returned the Polk’s and ordered the B5’s so I’m already anxious to get them..

Ultralight

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2016, 08:37 am »
If only 3 feet away, I would suggest either a full range single driver for coherence and phase.   

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:44 am »
If only 3 feet away, I would suggest either a full range single driver for coherence and phase.

Very true and an excellent suggestion.  And at this price point its important to consider how much quality is being sacrificed for a single driver versus in a typical 2-way design.  It can be daunting when you realize that retailing makes up roughly 50% of the MSRP and that for $300/pair you have approximately $30 (maybe less after subtracting for profit, labor, and overhead) to invest per cabinet, crossover, and 2 drivers.  Doesn't leave much room for quality.

brooklyn

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2016, 06:09 pm »
I don’t see there being many choices in full range type speakers. My goal was getting a small passive speaker that
has a decent tonal range at my price point. I did consider the GR-Research LGK 1.0’s but having no means to build
the speaker myself and what if I didn’t like them after someone else built them for me?             

I do have a return policy with the Elac’s which is one of the reasons I went in that direction.. I realize at my price
point or even somewhat higher, there will still be limitations.

monte

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2016, 07:38 pm »
Out of all the speakers you guys are talking about, is there anything out there that has a front, top, or bottom port so I could put them on the wall for surrounds?

borism

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan 2016, 08:05 pm »
Monte, I just built a pair of speakers from the DIY Sound Group with front ports. If you don't mind DIY, they have different models and sizes.
Here is my AC build thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139584.0

monte

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2016, 08:32 pm »
That's a nice speaker build.The only diy i did was building a Stonehenge sub and that was pretty easy from the soundgroup.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm »
Here's another DIY surround speaker you might want to consider. This is a surround specific design that is outstanding. I built this pair for a guy awhile back and am in the process of building another pair for myself.

http://gr-research.com/av-1rs.aspx

Mike

gab

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:15 pm »
Out of all the speakers you guys are talking about, is there anything out there that has a front, top, or bottom port so I could put them on the wall for surrounds?

look at the Volt line on the DIY Sound Group. I used the Volt 10s in my HT. Pretty easy build.

gab

Poultrygeist

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2016, 12:41 pm »
I'd consider these very nice pre-made cabs which come with binding posts installed.

Then pick up a pair of Fostex drivers from Madisound.

No crossovers so all that's left is wiring the drivers to the binding posts with crimp connectors ( no soldering required ) and mounting the drivers on the baffle with screws which are included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-box-for-Fostex-FF85K-FF85WK-pair-Bass-Reflex-Type-/111770079181?hash=item1a06040fcd:g:OX4AAOSw0JpV6qeS

brooklyn

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2016, 04:34 pm »
Well… after taking into consideration what some Audio Circle members had to say about near field listening,
I decided to cancel the Elac B5’s.. There was also a You Tube video on the B5’s were the reviewer states the
B5 would not sound good up close on a desktop..

Okay so… I’m ready to throw in the towel on getting bookshelf speakers and just continue listening to my
headphone system which sounds great. I’m not as proactive as I used to be like in my younger days.. lol

Brooklyn

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:07 pm »
Just curious, what headphones / headamp do you have? Check out the forums at head-fi.org if you haven't been there.

Anyway, as far as speakers, you could look for a pair of GR Research modded Insignia NS-B2111's. They're a unique coaxial 2 way speaker, so the tweeter is in the middle of the woofer cone. They've been discontinued by Best Buy but they show up on Craigslist fairly often, and Danny Richie still sells the upgrade kits on his site http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx (I know you said no DIY, but this is a fairly simple mod, and if you can get GR to send you the little pieces of MDF pre-cut you won't need to do any carpentry.)

srb

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:19 pm »
Anyway, as far as speakers, you could look for a pair of Dennis Murphy modded Insignia NS-B2111's. They're a unique coaxial 2 way speaker, so the tweeter is in the middle of the woofer cone. They've been discontinued by Best Buy but they show up on Craigslist fairly often, and Dennis Murphy still sells the upgrade kits on his site http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

Danny Richie

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:30 pm »

brooklyn

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:36 pm »
Hi pinkfloydforever, I recently bought the HiFiMan HE-400i’s and I’m using it with a Graham Slee MKlll Solo
headphone amp, It sounds wonderful to my ears..

I would also have liked a pair of speakers to go along with the vintage Greek 4040 integrated amp my brother
sent me so I can listen to music and be in front of or away from my desk once in a while but at this point, unless
something falls out of the sky it won’t happen..

I’m really not interested in modding or DIYing anything, I just wanted to buy something that sounds reasonably good
in a compact size for the kind of money I’m looking to spend.. If that doesn’t happen…. no big deal..