Need cheep and cheerful bookshelf speakers

pinkfloyd4ever

Re: Need cheep and cheerful bookshelf speakers
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jan 2016, 07:16 pm »
You could always post a WTB in the Buy / Sell forums here & at AudioKarma, or ask Danny if he has an extra set he’d sell you. There's probably someone out there with a modded pair who's not really using them anymore. They don’t sound bad in original form either if you can’t find anyone that wants to sell a modded pair.

Markvdv

« Reply #41 on: 4 Jan 2016, 10:56 pm »
With an amp like that and little room on desk I would look till I found a set of Dali Menuet, in any of the incarnations, always Menuet in the name, first version was around $400 a pair 20 ? years ago, over here, prices went up like for other things. But I don't know Dali is and was sold where you live.

sunnydaze

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2016, 03:34 am »
I know nothing about  these speakers,  but they seem to match your requirements and budget.
Just thought you might wanna consider them.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139718.0

brooklyn

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2016, 07:13 am »
Thank you everyone for the latest round of ideas but nothing seems appealing to me at this time. Sunnydaze,
I did see the speakers on your link, they do look interesting but I’m not sure if they would be for me. I’m just
going to kick back and see if anything comes up.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #44 on: 5 Jan 2016, 02:54 pm »
I know nothing about  these speakers,  but they seem to match your requirements and budget.
Just thought you might wanna consider them.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139718.0

I'm not a big fan of most Fostex drivers as they lack mid-bass body (sound thin and forward in the midrange).  But a friend has small single driver speakers that really sounded nice in my room (until my cat knocked one of them off the stand).  He uses them for desktop listening.  If you're interested brooklyn PM me and I'll find out what they are.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #45 on: 5 Jan 2016, 11:33 pm »
Hello,
Interesting thread.
 I would also vote for the CBM-170s,  except at 12" x 9" x 10", they're slightly larger than the Polks and the Marimbas. Very good speakers though, as are the LSA .5s which are about the same size of the CBMs and cost around $340 new. The CBMs are rear ported and the LSAs have two front ports.

Good luck on your hunt.

LesterSleepsIn

wgscott

Scottdazzle

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2016, 09:11 pm »
Jon, now you can hear the B6 and F5 side by side. The B6 finally arrived.

OzarkTom

« Reply #48 on: 12 Jan 2016, 10:42 pm »
These are fantastic bookshelf speakers for 5O bucks. My buddy Rex replaced his bookshelf Quads with a pair of these. They have a tremendous soundstage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Radio-Shack-Realistic-Minimus-7-bookshelf-speakers-40-2030C-/231811058567?hash=item35f9040b87:g:ecsAAOSwGotWlEqt

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #49 on: 12 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm »
I have these Optimus Pro LX5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optimus-Pro-LX5-40-4061-Bookshelf-Speakers-Linaeum-Tweeters-Pair-Set-/191778596118?hash=item2ca6e52516:g:12IAAOSwa-dWkRNM

But remember not to put too much power into them otherwise you will fry the woofers

Poultrygeist

« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2016, 11:18 am »
I am a huge fan of Fostex speakers and these OB bookshelf speakers by Tekton can be found used or Eric will build you a pair.

The small Fostex speakers are known for their micro detail and great mids.