MiniWatt - Product Support Thread

miniwatt

• Industry Participant
    • MiniWatt
Re: MiniWatt - Product Support Thread
« Reply #40 on: 10 Sep 2009, 01:55 pm »
I spent much of the last two days listening to a MiniWatt (with the two bypass caps mod) drive a pair of Horn Shoppe Horns. Folks this is a marriage made in heaven. It's hard to believe this tiny 2.5 watt amp can push the horns to over 100 dbs without a hint of distortion. If I hadn't held the sound meter in my hand sitting comfortably away in the horn's sweet spot I wouldn't have believed it possible.

The MiniWatt and Horn Shoppe Horn combo has got to be the best deal in high end audio.

Hi Poultrygeist,

:D Thanks for letting us your impressions on MiniWatt with Horn Shoppe.

Cheers
Derek

Roadsterdriver

« Reply #41 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:43 pm »
Hi Dereck,

I just received my MiniWatt. Still waiting for speakers :(

Can you tell me if it has the cap mod? Sorry there is no serial number. It was shipped on September 10th.

Thanks!

Michael

Roadsterdriver

« Reply #42 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:41 pm »
Other products?

The one single thing that I would buy from you immediately if you made it would be:

A matching preamp with onboard DAC.

This amp is enormously appealing to HiFi minimalists like myself. I would love to have a preamp/DAC. Maybe I'm getting old, but the days of big ugly boxes with lots of wires are over for me. All I want is something to plug my USB cable into that sounds great, looks great, and doesn't take up a bunch of space.

I know, ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is everything. You've made a beautiful product. Congratulations!

miniwatt

• Industry Participant
    • MiniWatt
« Reply #43 on: 22 Sep 2009, 09:24 am »
Hi Dereck,

I just received my MiniWatt. Still waiting for speakers :(

Can you tell me if it has the cap mod? Sorry there is no serial number. It was shipped on September 10th.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestinos and idea on our MiniWatt products! :D

Regarding the cap mod, we just send you an email, pls kindly check.

Cheers
Derek
MiniWatt

Caar

« Reply #44 on: 14 Oct 2009, 06:40 pm »
Hi,
Any news about those 300B monoblocks? :drool: :drool: :drool:

runemaster

« Reply #45 on: 27 Oct 2009, 07:53 am »
Dear all owners of Miniwatt,

I am planning to buy a Sonus Faber Concerto Domus. From what I find out, it seems that Domus is a 4 ohm impedance. Anyone tried a Domus / SFCD on Miniwatt yet? Asking this before I actually buy both SFCD and Miniwatt.

Thanks

Poultrygeist

« Reply #46 on: 27 Oct 2009, 10:26 am »
I checked the sensitivity of the Sonus Faber Concerto Domus and it's 88db. The MiniWatt is a great little amp but at 2.5 wpc it will not drive these speakers to a satisfactory level.

You should be looking at high efficiency speakers with a sensitivity level of 93 db or higher. I would suggest a single driver speaker which are sonically superior to much of the so called high end, high dollar speakers which often require massive power. I played the power trip game for many years until I recently discovered the magic of the single driver speaker - no more listener fatigue and clarity and detail to die for when driven by a low output tube amp.

The Hornshoppe Horns when paired with the MiniWatt are an amazing combination. You should read the rave reviews the Hornshoppe Horns have received over the past few years.

runemaster

« Reply #47 on: 28 Oct 2009, 06:45 am »
I see, thanks.

By the way, what if I add in a preamp or power amp? Like maybe I add in Audiodigit TubePre in between Miniwatt and the Speaker? I know Audiodigit TubePre is a preamp, and should go in between the source and Miniwatt, but I just wonder if this can work or not?

Any suggestion?

I live in Malaysia and Hornshoppe Horns is kinda hard to get. Even if I could order it, tax is gonna kick me hard in the ass.

Caar

« Reply #48 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:35 am »
You should try a pre-amp between the source and the MiniWatt.
I tried to do so with the pre-amp Flying Mole with very good results with speakers 88dB efficiency (KEF Reference 205).

Poultrygeist

« Reply #49 on: 28 Oct 2009, 12:01 pm »
You really should be looking at speakers with a highly efficient single driver such as the Fostex family. The MW can drive the Fostex FE126E as used in the Hornshoppe Horns to very loud levels. The Omega line of speakers as mentioned in this tread are excellent and work well with the MW as do some of the Tekton Design speakers. Fostex drivers are made in Japan and sold world wide. Their availabilty has spawned a cottage industry of speakers builders.

The beauty of the simplistic single driver speaker is there's no power sucking crossover to consume the watts or color the sound. It also means that folks with limited knowledge and soldering skills can make their own speakers. There are plans on the net for every imaginable single driver design from back loaded horns to transmission line and bass reflex. I believe a 4 inch Fostex driver in a cardboard box would sound better than what many folks consider hifi.

The single driver speakers are the most revealing speakers ever. If a recording is bad you get to hear all the little lousy details that make it bad but with a great recording you hear all the subtleties that make it great. As someone said "with the Hornshoppe Horns and MW you can hear Miles Davis' spit rolling around in his trumpet!"

I just wish I hadn't wasted so many years and $$$$ on high end garbage before I discovered the magic of single driver speakers and flea powered SET amps. If you own the MW you're half way there!

runemaster

« Reply #50 on: 28 Oct 2009, 02:11 pm »
You really should be looking at speakers with a highly efficient single driver such as the Fostex family. The MW can drive the Fostex FE126E as used in the Hornshoppe Horns to very loud levels. The Omega line of speakers as mentioned in this tread are excellent and work well with the MW as do some of the Tekton Design speakers. Fostex drivers are made in Japan and sold world wide. Their availabilty has spawned a cottage industry of speakers builders.

The beauty of the simplistic single driver speaker is there's no power sucking crossover to consume the watts or color the sound. It also means that folks with limited knowledge and soldering skills can make their own speakers. There are plans on the net for every imaginable single driver design from back loaded horns to transmission line and bass reflex. I believe a 4 inch Fostex driver in a cardboard box would sound better than what many folks consider hifi.

The single driver speakers are the most revealing speakers ever. If a recording is bad you get to hear all the little lousy details that make it bad but with a great recording you hear all the subtleties that make it great. As someone said "with the Hornshoppe Horns and MW you can hear Miles Davis' spit rolling around in his trumpet!"

I just wish I hadn't wasted so many years and $$$$ on high end garbage before I discovered the magic of single driver speakers and flea powered SET amps. If you own the MW you're half way there!

WOW Poultrygeist, you got me convinced. I'll try to look for a single driver horn speakers here in Malaysia. Just hope that the price ain't gonna slice me up bad lol

Thanks a lot for your reply. It really makes me look into single driver speakers, which I previously thought that single driver are bad at highs and lows, single more speakers uses tweeter and woofer for the high and low

Poultrygeist

« Reply #51 on: 28 Oct 2009, 04:16 pm »
The horn in our discussion is not a true horn like a "horn tweeter". The folded pathway in the cabinet that exits to the rear is where the name comes from. I like to think of the folds as the tubing you would find in a French horn or tuba. The Fostex driver is not a horn. I hope this makes sense.

runemaster

« Reply #52 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:26 am »
The horn in our discussion is not a true horn like a "horn tweeter". The folded pathway in the cabinet that exits to the rear is where the name comes from. I like to think of the folds as the tubing you would find in a French horn or tuba. The Fostex driver is not a horn. I hope this makes sense.

Actually no.... as I said, I had no idea or experience in horn speakers.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #53 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:46 am »

Actually no.... as I said, I had no idea or experience in horn speakers.

Here's an example....a pair for sale in the Trading Post...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72680.0

runemaster

« Reply #54 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:07 pm »
Hi all.

It would seem that I am an ignorant fool if I didn;t do some research. After some digging, it seems that my room isn't suitable for horn speakers. Horn speakers ideally should be placed at the corners, well, the door seems to be in the way so speakers placement near the door is out.

And I really need to hear the speakers in action lol

Thanks for everything
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009, 07:51 am by runemaster »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #55 on: 29 Oct 2009, 03:27 pm »
Horns sound great pulled out into the room. I actually prefer them that way rather than in the corners. Bass is not quite as strong but if more is needed one can add the small Hornshoppe Bass Cube or a regular sub.

The single driver Fostex speakers excel in nearfield placement - think large encompassing headphones.

hatehifi

« Reply #56 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:24 pm »
Hello Derek and welcome to Audio Circle.

First, I want to thank you for making the tour possible and hope we can have more of these in the future.

I would also like to add that Derek is a pleasure to work with and provides excellent customer service to his clients.

MiniWatt is excellent example of inexpensive gear that sounds good and is quite affordable.
Way to go Derek.

I hope we will hear more from MiniWatt and that you continue expansion of your company with new, exiting products in the future.

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

Hello MiniWatt fans,

I'm the John Walton Srajan refers to in his MiniWatt write up. I'll refrain from mentioning Dayens' Ampino except here. You see, I just received (72-hour service ~ amazing!) my blue MiniWatt and had a chance to compare the two. Inasmuch as I [still] have a Gryphon Tabu Century integrated as well as an Atma-Sphere S-30, and a close friend with Pass' gear, checking the Ampino and MiniWatt has been really fun. I recently auditioned the Crayon CFA-1 that Srajan [and I] also hails, as well. My [reference] speakers and cables are Zu's and their Essence (I've owned the Druid and the Credenza). I also lucked out recently with aquiring a '58 Siemens Klangfilm RL 16 3-way movie theater 'support' speaker (says 150Hz on up on the back but its more like 50Hz), and steel-footed-modified QLN G3 from Sweden.

I think the MiniWatt is 'worth' ten times its asking price and if one is afraid of tubes, well its SS counterpart mentioned above (albeit that these firms are unknown to each other) is also ten times value.

Reason for jumping in here (at Derek's invitation) is to get some input regarding the German market. Anybody have addresses of potential customers I could conatct? As I've lived here more-or-less since '71 (hi-fi as a passion since '64), and had some experience in hi-fi sales here as well, nevertheless I'm still an outsider. I'd like to help Derek get established here. My hope is that 'your' enthusiasm and brain-storming may generate a marketing plan, strategy, which will bring music to a broader [German speaking] audience.

Anybody care to comment, or am I too obtruse?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #57 on: 29 Oct 2009, 11:00 pm »
Horns sound great pulled out into the room. I actually prefer them that way rather than in the corners. Bass is not quite as strong but if more is needed one can add the small Hornshoppe Bass Cube or a regular sub.

When I had Ed's Horns, not only did they sound best pulled out away from the corners and walls, but I raised them off the ground to get the drivers closer to ear level.  I reinforced the bass with a sub (recommended by Ed) however there was s a mid bass suck out where the sub finished off and the Horns began.  It's one of those compromises you some times have to make in this hobby.   But Poultrygeist is right; the Horns will sound best when they are pulled out into the room away from the walls.

I know Ed Schilling disagrees, but Ed is a funny a guy.

runemaster

« Reply #58 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:57 pm »
As I know, Miniwatt is actually into making a S2 version of Miniwatt amp now. Anyone know if I should wait for the S2 or get it now? How about the price? Anyone got any clue on it?

Caar

« Reply #59 on: 7 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm »
Where is such indication that a 2nd version is being in the making?