MiniWatt - Product Support Thread

OrangeCrush

Re: MiniWatt - Product Support Thread
« Reply #60 on: 11 Nov 2009, 02:42 am »
Hi, I am new here and looking at getting into affordable hifi. I am wondering if anyone has heard the Miniwatt with a tapered voight pipe speaker. Since I am in Canada, I am very interested in these with the Fostex 208 Sigma driver.

http://www.goodwinspeakers.com/voight_pipes.htm

Would the Miniwatt be a good match?

Thanks,

Bill

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #61 on: 11 Nov 2009, 04:35 am »
The FE208eS should be efficient enuff... i can't get too excited about a TQWP that isn't mass loaded thou.

dave

OrangeCrush

« Reply #62 on: 11 Nov 2009, 04:14 pm »
The FE208eS should be efficient enuff... i can't get too excited about a TQWP that isn't mass loaded thou.

dave

Thanks. It says the base is filled with sand. Isn't that mass loaded or am I missing something?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #63 on: 11 Nov 2009, 08:31 pm »
That is the cabinet, not the enclosure. Mass loading a TL (TQWP) like this is done by restricting the size of the terminus. This improves the low pass function of the terminus and dramatically reduces the ripple inherent in a TQWP.

The FE208eS is much happier in a proper horn. It has shown to perform well in Sachiko for instance.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1455

dave

JCS

« Reply #64 on: 24 Nov 2009, 03:11 pm »
Hi Derek,

I purchased the MiniWatt for use with a Fostex F120a which doesn't seem to play well with any of the SS amps I have heard on it.  Plug in some tubes, and the F120a transforms from mediocre to sublime!  While the MiniWatt is a little short on power for an 89 dB sensitive driver, it has enough for the modest listening levels I use.

My question is: can the MiniWatt be connected to the speaker level inputs of the plate amp of a subwoofer?

I know that SI T-amps cannot be connected this way, and require an adapter which will convert speaker level output to line level (which is available on most plate amps.) 

Thanks for your help,
JCS

hatehifi

« Reply #65 on: 25 Nov 2009, 05:43 am »
I asked Derek the same and he said not to! Use the preamp's (source's) output.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #66 on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:55 pm »
I have my MiniWatt connected to the speaker level inputs of my Velodyne sub and my speakers connected to the Velodyne speaker outputs. Works fine. I ran a T-amp in the same configuration but not before a Velodyne tech said it was ok.

I also have a Sunfire sub that I have not tried with the MiniWatt as it clearly states in the manual that the amp must have common grounded outputs. I have emailed MW but haven't received an answer as to whether their amp uses common ground outputs. Does anyone know?

I'm not sure a preamp will help the MW that much unless the volume control is bypassed taking it out of the signal path and making it a stand alone amp.

GDeering

« Reply #67 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:27 pm »
Hi Derek,

One question, why bananas? I think my Abbys will take them, but I've only used spades and bare wire (I like bare wire).  Now I need to buy new wire!

After years of SET seduction what I listening for now is crisp dynamic swings, which has been a problem in the past with 45's and 2A3's on the Abby.  A poor man's Monand (Butler's 300b hybrid) would be a HUGE gift to the audio world.    I'll be very curious to hear how the MiniWatt performs.  And the idea of applying your technology to the traditional 3 big tubes is exciting.

Thanks,

Gregg

Caar

« Reply #68 on: 13 Dec 2009, 08:57 pm »
More than 3 months are passed over that information about the next move from Miniwatt - the 300B monoblocks.
Any news if this project is still to become a real thing? If yes, when?

Carlos

grubyhalo

« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2009, 10:49 am »
I asked Derek the same and he said not to! Use the preamp's (source's) output.

Is there a way the volume control could be by-passed if one chooses to run the Miniwatt as power amplifier?

pardales

« Reply #70 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:54 am »
It is possible. Over at AudiophileTalk, in the Horn Shoppe forum there is a thread (called MINITWATT WOW, WOW) where I think it and other mods are discussed. I think a few people over there have done it. 

grubyhalo

« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2009, 03:00 pm »
It is possible. Over at AudiophileTalk, in the Horn Shoppe forum there is a thread (called MINITWATT WOW, WOW) where I think it and other mods are discussed. I think a few people over there have done it.

Looks like I've completely missed it when I read the thread, will read through it again. Thanks for the pointer. :)

Light-Echo

« Reply #72 on: 28 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
I'm building the GR N3 and I'm looking for another set of amps. Can the Mini Watt be used in a mono block configuration? I know NOTHING about tube amps.

Regards
Dave

Caar

« Reply #73 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:48 am »
Now that MiniWatt is selling out all the MiniWatt S1 is there going to be introduced the referred 300B monoblocks mentioned on the 4th September?
I can´t contact through the MiniWatt "Contact us" way, so I am asking here. Hope someone from MiniWatt is still looking at this thread from time to time.
Thanks.

Carlos

JCS

« Reply #74 on: 14 Jan 2010, 05:13 pm »
I see no evidence that anyone from MiniWatt has check this thread in months.  I'm wondering why they bothered to start it at all if they don't stop in and visit once in a while.  :scratch:

Cheers,  Jim

Mariusz

« Reply #75 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm »

???????????????????

Caar

« Reply #76 on: 15 Jan 2010, 11:27 pm »
Looks familiar ... :scratch:
But not exactly what I was looking for.

Carlos

Xan7hos

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:34 am »
Where did you find that picture Mariusz?

Mariusz

« Reply #78 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:11 am »
Where did you find that picture Mariusz?

6moons .......  MiniWatt owners should read this.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/synergy/300B.html

Mariusz :thumb:

Caar

« Reply #79 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:17 am »
This owner of a MiniWatt SP1 read this.
Conclusion: it seems no 300B monoblocks. :cry:
Let's wait and see what Srajan Ebaen will say about the EL84 amplifier.
Cheers.