BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

brucek

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #280 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:20 pm »
HI Brucek,

Thanks, I've asked Bryston whether they'd make me a cable too, hope they will, thus keeping it all in the family, and, more importantly, up to Bryston standards.
Since we're talking special order cables, would you think a longer Balanced Y cable, connected directly to the BHA1 and BP26  instead of through these short ones, with an extra connection, is preferable?

Marius

I would think a single cable with the two tails a suitable length to satisfy the furthest distance you could imagine your equipment being located would be best. If the equipment is placed closer, no problem as balanced connections are very forgiving of length.

brucek

BrysTony

« Reply #281 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:49 pm »
My knowledge of the headphone world is what I read here, limited internet research and the use of a Bose noise-reduction headphone on airline flights.  I am thinking about buying a BHA-1 and high end headphones and the issue of cables somewhat baffles me.  It appears that most headphones are supplied with a phono connector but, for example, the HiFiMan HE-6 comes with a 4 pin XLR cable (gender unspecified).  On this forum several months ago there was discussion about the BHA-1 being produced with the option of male or female XLR connectors and I see that AudioAdvisor is in-fact offering a BHA-1M and a BHA-1F.  The female version seems to make the most sense to me; however, can anyone shed some light on this issue?  When buying stock headphones and/or XLR headphone cables, what will I find on the amp end?  Is one more prevalent?  I am trying to understand which is most useful in order to avoid gender changing adapters.  Anyone?

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #282 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:09 pm »
My knowledge of the headphone world is what I read here, limited internet research and the use of a Bose noise-reduction headphone on airline flights.  I am thinking about buying a BHA-1 and high end headphones and the issue of cables somewhat baffles me.  It appears that most headphones are supplied with a phono connector but, for example, the HiFiMan HE-6 comes with a 4 pin XLR cable (gender unspecified).  On this forum several months ago there was discussion about the BHA-1 being produced with the option of male or female XLR connectors and I see that AudioAdvisor is in-fact offering a BHA-1M and a BHA-1F.  The female version seems to make the most sense to me; however, can anyone shed some light on this issue?  When buying stock headphones and/or XLR headphone cables, what will I find on the amp end?  Is one more prevalent?  I am trying to understand which is most useful in order to avoid gender changing adapters.  Anyone?

Tony

You want FEMALE on the BHA-1 as most headphones come with a MALE connector.  I think that is where the confusion comes from.  In the PRO market signal always travels from a Male to a Female connector and that is considered the standard in most consumer products as well.

I think the Headphone connector being typically a MALE  1/4 inch type connector morphed into a Male XLR cable because most folks were familiar with plugging the 1/4 inch Male into a female on most gear.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #283 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
You want FEMALE on the BHA-1 as most headphones come with a MALE connector.  I think that is where the confusion comes from.  In the PRO market signal always travels from a Male to a Female connector and that is considered the standard in most consumer products as well.

I think the Headphone connector being typically a MALE  1/4 inch type connector morphed into a Male XLR cable because most folks were familiar with plugging the 1/4 inch Male into a female on most gear.

james

Thanks, James.  That certainly makes sense to me but I had not been able to confirm it.  Even the picture that Audio Advisor is showing for the female version as well as the male version shows the male connector.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #284 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:23 pm »
Thanks, James.  That certainly makes sense to me but I had not been able to confirm it.  Even the picture that Audio Advisor is showing for the female version as well as the male version shows the male connector.

Tony

FEMALE

MALE

BrysTony

« Reply #285 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:37 pm »
James,

The top picture looks like one of those artist's rendering back in the development process -- no balance control and has a mini-phono plug.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #286 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:42 pm »
James,

The top picture looks like one of those artist's rendering back in the development process -- no balance control and has a mini-phono plug.

Tony

Correct.

james

Joker

« Reply #287 on: 17 Sep 2012, 09:28 pm »
check, +1, on the technical page of Bryston.com the Bha1 is missing....

Would there be a downloadable manual (not the Brochure) ?

Marius

Marius, just fyi - am picking up my HD800 the coming weekend, with a 4-pin Stereo XLR male connector. You by now probably saw the wiring specs in the BHA-1 owners manual that James would have emailed you. I had Sennheiser HQ Germany confirm the wiring specs of the HD800 as follows.

right driver (+) = red, (-) = white
left driver (+) = green, (-) = white

Hope that helps further. Cheers!

Marius

« Reply #288 on: 17 Sep 2012, 09:59 pm »
sure does, thanks a lot.
hope to hear from you and your HD800 soon!

Marius

Marius, just fyi - am picking up my HD800 the coming weekend, with a 4-pin Stereo XLR male connector. You by now probably saw the wiring specs in the BHA-1 owners manual that James would have emailed you. I had Sennheiser HQ Germany confirm the wiring specs of the HD800 as follows.

right driver (+) = red, (-) = white
left driver (+) = green, (-) = white

Hope that helps further. Cheers!

Marius

« Reply #289 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:49 pm »
Well, just got the message: 460 for the pair of y cables, which is to steep for me. Rediculous really. 3 sets of splitters would cost as much as the whole BHa1...

Thanks, but no thanks,

Marius

HI Brucek,

Thanks, I've asked Bryston whether they'd make me a cable too, hope they will, thus keeping it all in the family, and, more importantly, up to Bryston standards.
Since we're talking special order cables, would you think a longer Balanced Y cable, connected directly to the BHA1 and BP26  instead of through these short ones, with an extra connection, is preferable?

Marius

Marius

« Reply #290 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:49 pm »
Well, just got the message: 460 for the pair of y cables, which is to steep for me. Rediculous really. 3 (pairs) splitters cost as much as the whole BHa1...

Thanks, but no thanks,

Marius

myview

« Reply #291 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:31 am »
Hi Marius,

You sound like me - adverse to spending a disproportionate amount of money (relative to equipment) on cables.

When the BHA-1 just arrived, I conveniently connected the BHA-1 directly to my cheap NAD C542 CD Player.  The headphones I use most frequently are the Hifiman HE-6.  I was very happy with the sound.

I have since moved the BHA-1 to my main rig.  In this main rig, my BCD-1 (SPDIF) and BDP-1 (AES/EBU) are connected to my BDA-1, which in turn is connected to my BP-26 Preamp.  I then connected my BHA-1 to the Tape Out of the BP-26.  I use a very inexpensive RCA cable (Belden cable; Canare RCA plugs) which I got a shop to custom-make for me locally for about US$50.

I am very happy with the sound I get.  Despite using an inexpensive RCA cable, I am still able to hear "new" things on familiar recordings which previously eluded me.  If you have a pair of RCA cables lying around unused - many of us do - perhaps you want to just try the Tape Out from the BP-26.

Marius

« Reply #292 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:41 am »
Hi Myview,

Thanks, good to hear! I will follow your setup, James advises this also.
Would love the Balanced connection simultaneously though, but can not justify these.
Will have them made locally.

Cheers!
Marius

Hi Marius,

You sound like me - adverse to spending a disproportionate amount of money (relative to equipment) on cables.

When the BHA-1 just arrived, I conveniently connected the BHA-1 directly to my cheap NAD C542 CD Player.  The headphones I use most frequently are the Hifiman HE-6.  I was very happy with the sound.

I have since moved the BHA-1 to my main rig.  In this main rig, my BCD-1 (SPDIF) and BDP-1 (AES/EBU) are connected to my BDA-1, which in turn is connected to my BP-26 Preamp.  I then connected my BHA-1 to the Tape Out of the BP-26.  I use a very inexpensive RCA cable (Belden cable; Canare RCA plugs) which I got a shop to custom-make for me locally for about US$50.

I am very happy with the sound I get.  Despite using an inexpensive RCA cable, I am still able to hear "new" things on familiar recordings which previously eluded me.  If you have a pair of RCA cables lying around unused - many of us do - perhaps you want to just try the Tape Out from the BP-26.

Marius

« Reply #293 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
Because I was a bit overwhelmed by the cost of the Y-splitter cables, I asked again and these were advised to me: Microphone Splitter http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech-articles/microphone-splitters/

Can be had for as low as 15 $, up to about 200, don;t have the price of the Whirlwind, which probably is a bit more expensive, Whirlwind is priced competitively http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=whirlwind+splitter 90 for the 2way, but note the 20hz - 20khz freq response....
Anyway, my question is more about the technique and quality of it, compared to a Y cable. Alleged advantage supposed to be: no BDA1 signal loss because of split, and galvanically separated, no physical connection between the two Amps (BHA1 and BP26).
Worth the try?

Thanks for any comments or experience
Marius

Hi Marius,

zeiter

« Reply #294 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:22 pm »
Hi everyone,
Because I was a bit overwhelmed by the cost of the Y-splitter cables, I asked again and these were advised to me: Microphone Splitter http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech-articles/microphone-splitters/

Can be had for as low as 15 $, up to about 200, don;t have the price of the Whirlwind, which probably is a bit more expensive, Whirlwind is priced competitively http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=whirlwind+splitter 90 for the 2way, but note the 20hz - 20khz freq response....
Anyway, my question is more about the technique and quality of it, compared to a Y cable. Alleged advantage supposed to be: no BDA1 signal loss because of split, and galvanically separated, no physical connection between the two Amps (BHA1 and BP26).
Worth the try?

Thanks for any comments or experience

Marius

Marius,
I think microphone splitters are MONO and not STEREO, which means one plug 3pin XLR only.

Marius

« Reply #295 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:28 pm »
Sure Zeiter, Would need 1 per channel.
Marius,
I think microphone splitters are MONO and not STEREO, which means one plug 3pin XLR only.

zeiter

« Reply #296 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:29 pm »
I have a picture of one good stereo splitter, ( two stereo inputs, one  stereo output )just trying to figure how to insert it

Marius

« Reply #297 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:39 pm »
you mean on the forum? below the compose window, click upload and insert an image.

I have a picture of one good stereo splitter, ( two stereo inputs, one  stereo output )just trying to figure how to insert it

zeiter

« Reply #298 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:52 pm »
Got it, but I don't remember if in your case you need the reverse ( one input, and two outputs ) ?

Marius

« Reply #299 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:43 pm »
check, 1 input, two outputs.

Thanks, Ill have a look,
Marius
Got it, but I don't remember if in your case you need the reverse ( one input, and two outputs ) ?