Scotch!!

genjamon

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #380 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:42 pm »
What does everyone think about a 1.75L bottle of Johnny Walker Gold for $99?  The local store says they got a good deal and are passing along savings.  I'm familiar with a lot of single malt, some of it very refined, but I've never made it into the world of blended whiskeys.  I like the Islay whiskeys well (Laphroig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Caol Isla 18) but I also go for others (Bruichladdich 15, Springbank 10 & 12, Aberlour Abunadh...).  Is Johnny Walker Gold on par as far as quality with some of these single malt scotches?

~Ben

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #381 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:44 pm »
Gold is not bad, it's more in the style of a light highland malt.

ctviggen

« Reply #382 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:48 pm »
Gold is pretty good, and that's a good price (at least here).  Some people prefer Black to Gold, though, and Black is a lot cheaper.  There are a lot of good blended scotches.  All the Compass Box varieties are worth a try.  The regular Black Bottle isn't bad. I've had many more that I can't remember right now for some reason. 

Tyson

« Reply #383 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:51 pm »
I think Teachers Highland Cream is almost on par with JW Gold, and for a LOT less money.

genjamon

« Reply #384 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:08 pm »
Well, I wouldn't want 1.75L of the stuff if it's only "not bad"   :wink:

I have anywhere from 20-25 bottles in my collection at any given time, and I wouldn't want to spend that money on a large bottle that wouldn't enter the normal rotation for a good period.  Of course, I could always use it for bowling nights with the guys  :thumb:

Sounds like it would be a good idea for me to try some blendeds in restaurants and bars before I go for any big purchases like this. 

ctviggen

« Reply #385 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm »
You can usually find 50 ml bottles of Black and Gold in the stores.  One store here even had Lagavulin 16 in 50 ml bottles for a while.  The most disappointing blend to me was Dewars Signature.  Definitely not worth anywhere near the $200/bottle they get for it.   

genjamon

« Reply #386 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:26 pm »
Yeah, good point.  I'll look for mini bottles, but I AM in KS after all... :duh:  :lol:  Who knows if I can find any (I usually completely ignore the mini bottles lying around).

Thanks for the input, guys!

kgturner

« Reply #387 on: 3 Sep 2010, 02:41 pm »
I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 18 yesterday, but haven't started into it yet. The nose on it is DELICIOUS though!

jipper

« Reply #388 on: 25 Sep 2010, 09:23 pm »
JW gold is a very good scotch.  sounds to me like no one here bothered to try it?  comparing it to Teachers is like comparing grape juice to a full-bodied red wine.  no comparison.  I have no idea if 99$ is a bargain in your area, but it does not seem expensive for a very nice blend that can hold its own with any single malt in the same price range.  buy it.  huge bottle will disappear when others give it a try.

JP

pjchappy

« Reply #389 on: 25 Sep 2010, 09:45 pm »
For 1.75L, that sounds like a deal (although I've never actually had JW Gold that I can remember, nor JW Blue. . . but JW Black is what I buy the most (typically, ~$35 for a 1/5)).

Paul

ctviggen

« Reply #390 on: 25 Sep 2010, 11:27 pm »
JW gold is a very good scotch.  sounds to me like no one here bothered to try it?  comparing it to Teachers is like comparing grape juice to a full-bodied red wine.  no comparison.  I have no idea if 99$ is a bargain in your area, but it does not seem expensive for a very nice blend that can hold its own with any single malt in the same price range.  buy it.  huge bottle will disappear when others give it a try.

JP

Personally, I think JW black is better than Gold and a heck of lot less expensive. 

EthanH

« Reply #391 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »
Gold is good if you like a real sweet, rich profile.  It's totally different from Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 16, so it's hard to say whether you'll like it.  For what it's worth Lagavulin is one of my favorites and I like gold, but I don't think I'd put it on par with Edradour, a single malt that I think has a similar flavor profile to gold. 

Gold is worth a try though, imo.  Another big and rich blend worth a try is Compass Box Hedonism, which I personally prefer to gold.

pjchappy

« Reply #392 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:16 am »
Re JW Gold, I'm just gonna have to try it.

On a related note, I did just polish off a bottle of JW Black this weekend.  Didn't have it for too long. :?

I would love to experiment as much as Tyson and others have done over the years.  Nevertheless, in a pinch, I have been content with my regular purchases.  I do plan on getting a bottle of Macallen 12-year old in the next couple/few weeks, depending on my plans.  Beyond a bit of a random tasting of it during a wedding party event back in May, I haven't had any in probably 3 to 4 years. . . and during that time, had some 10-year old maybe once.  Hell, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking I should splurge and go with some even older Macallan.

Paul

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #393 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:21 am »

......... In hardcover....  :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #394 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:21 am »
Re JW Gold, I'm just gonna have to try it.

On a related note, I did just polish off a bottle of JW Black this weekend.  Didn't have it for too long. :?

I would love to experiment as much as Tyson and others have done over the years.  Nevertheless, in a pinch, I have been content with my regular purchases.  I do plan on getting a bottle of Macallen 12-year old in the next couple/few weeks, depending on my plans.  Beyond a bit of a random tasting of it during a wedding party event back in May, I haven't had any in probably 3 to 4 years. . . and during that time, had some 10-year old maybe once.  Hell, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking I should splurge and go with some even older Macallan.

Paul

It's a very expensive "hobby".  The only way I've been able to try as much as I have is by buying bottles and sharing them with a friend.  Thus, the bottles cost effectively half of what they really do.  He then buys bottles and shares them with me.

drab

« Reply #395 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:29 am »
Hey guys, total novice here in need of some advice for a gift. My wife who is a court reporter is needs to buy her judge a gift. He is a Scotch aficianado. She would like to buy him a special bottle but we have no idea what to get him. She says that his favorite is Lagavulin and that he likes a "peaty" scotch. Something different, less than $100 that he would never buy for himself. Any ideas?

TIA

acresm22

« Reply #396 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:39 am »
Drab,

Tyson's fave, the Ardbeg 10, would be a good choice for the judge.

Tyson

« Reply #397 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:44 am »
Ardbeg Uigedail or Bruichladdich 3D are both very good highly peated scotches that would be good gifts.

drab

« Reply #398 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:14 am »
 Thanks guys for the quick replies! It's a parting gift and my wife wants to get it right. I'll be off to the local warehouse ASAP tomorrow. :thumb:

koyaan

« Reply #399 on: 20 Nov 2010, 05:00 pm »
I've got a bottle of Dallas Dhu that I picked up in Scotland about 20 years ago and have never opened as it may be the last of its kind( They closed up shop back in the 80's). Has anyone ever tried it?