evan1

Re: Maverick Audio DAC tour
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2010, 08:48 pm »
Hey , did I make the cut ?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2010, 08:52 pm »

Sure, will do.  But you might have to fight Levi for a seat.  He might bring the EE over and we'll have a mini dac shootout with the modded ART DI/O, EE and Maverick.  You want to bring over your candidate?

Any more seat?  I've never been to your concert hall, Paul....  :icon_lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:09 pm »
Mariusz,

Thanks for fitting me in.  How many dacs are actually out there for that price that are also preamps as well.  Looking forward to the demo. Unfortunately I'll have nothing to compare it to as I have never owned or heard an external dac.  I think I need to get out more.

You are welcome.
And you are right. There aren't many DACs with those features in this price range. Now the question is: How it sounds?????
Hey , did I make the cut ?

Yes Sir, you certainly did. :thumb:
This looks like a nice unit, any chance a tour will be setup mid-Atlantic, SE PA & upper MD & DE?

I will see what can be done.

Best
Mariusz

taoggniklat

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:11 pm »
Quick question about the analog in. Is that input getting A/D conversion and then back out through the DAC, or is it a straight analog pass through?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:28 pm »
I have one concern, as a person who uses a 60gig iPod as a music server, the item;

"Line-in cord for most iPod and other MP3 players with standard 3.5 mm jack"

Concerns me as the output from the ipod headphone jack, via the 3.5 mm jack, means the signal is running through the iPod's DAC, then the Maverick's.

It seems if they could have drawn from the iPod bottom data port, skipping the headphone jack, and run from the bottom data jack to the M1's usb in, the signal would be untouched by the iPod's DAC, giving the M1 a 'cleaner' signal for the M1's DAC to deal with.

Gene

srb

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:30 pm »
Quick question about the analog in. Is that input getting A/D conversion and then back out through the DAC, or is it a straight analog pass through?

I assumed it was an analog pass-through, only going through the input switch and volume control, as there would be no benefit (in fact only a reduction in quality) in going through A/D and D/A conversion, particulary since the device adds no additional digital EQ, bass management or other digital processing.

Steve

taoggniklat

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:36 pm »

I assumed it was an analog pass-through, only going through the input switch and volume control, as there would be no benefit (in fact only a reduction in quality) in going through A/D and D/A conversion, particulary since the device adds no additional digital EQ or bass management features.

Steve

This is what I suspected, I just didn't see anything specifying on the website.

It looks like a nice device.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:40 pm »
I have one concern, as a person who uses a 60gig iPod as a music server, the item;

"Line-in cord for most iPod and other MP3 players with standard 3.5 mm jack"

Concerns me as the output from the ipod headphone jack, via the 3.5 mm jack, means the signal is running through the iPod's DAC, then the Maverick's.

It seems if they could have drawn from the iPod bottom data port, skipping the headphone jack, and run from the bottom data jack to the M1's usb in, the signal would be untouched by the iPod's DAC, giving the M1 a 'cleaner' signal for the M1's DAC to deal with.

As far as taking an analog signal from the iPod, you would get a cleaner signal using either a passive iPod dock or a iPod port-connected line-out cable, bypassing the internal headphone amp.  That would still be an analog output which would either go into the analog input of a preamp, or into the analog pass-through input of the Maverick DAC.

To get a digital audio output from an iPod to be converted by the Maverick DAC would require either a Wadia 170i dock (using a coaxial S/PDIF output) or the new Onkyo ND-S1 dock (using either a coaxial or optical S/PDIF output).

Either of these docks employ Apple-licensed internal software to access digital audio from the iPod.

Steve

Mariusz

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:43 pm »
 Si Señor Steve. (it wouldn't make sense)
and si again as far as getting the most out of the iPod.
........and option of solid state or tube output stage.

srb

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2010, 09:49 pm »
Here is a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread from the Head-Fi.org forum
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-condensed-faq-info-thread-470639/

Within that is the link to the original 87 page thread!

Steve

ken

« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:29 pm »
Wow that's some thread.  Someone in that thread also mentioned that 90% of a fairy large group prefered the Maverick to the Dacmagic which Audioadvisor is selling for $429.00  Pretty impressive

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for link Steve.  :thumb:

Some mods seemed to up D-1 performance a notch or two. Certainly a good news for DIY/tweakers.  :wink:

Paul (ltr317)
do you have some replacement tube(s) for D-1 that you could swap during your evaluation?

P.S
received email from Ryan.
DACs are on the way.
Should arrive later next week.
 :D :D :D

Best
Mariusz :P

ltr317

« Reply #32 on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for link Steve.  :thumb:

Some mods seemed to up D-1 performance a notch or two. Certainly a good news for DIY/tweakers.  :wink:

Paul (ltr317)
do you have some replacement tube(s) for D-1 that you could swap during your evaluation?

P.S
received email from Ryan.
DACs are on the way.
Should arrive later next week.
 :D :D :D

Best
Mariusz :P

No, never needed a 5670 tube before, but I'll ask my sources and maybe have some by the time the dac arrives.

Mariusz

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
DACs arrived in one piece. :P

Packing- very good :P
Feel and finish - very good :P
Instructions - basic with link to website and Q&A section :)

I'll test them and make the tour list by the end of the week.

Cheers
Mariusz 

evan1

« Reply #34 on: 9 Mar 2010, 08:57 pm »
DACs arrived in one piece. :P

Packing- very good :P
Feel and finish - very good :P
Instructions - basic with link to website and Q&A section :)

I'll test them and make the tour list by the end of the week.

Cheers
Mariusz 

:thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #35 on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:37 pm »
My work is located not too far from Paul's place and I could drop it off on Sat. or Sun.(if that works for you Paul).
List of participants will be posted later tonigh.
Not sure about the order of the tour but you can help me with that ones the list is made.

Cheers
Mariusz
 :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:27 am »
oooh, pretty. keepin' an eye on this one! :drool:

Mariusz

« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2010, 08:00 pm »
Tour list:

mytubes211
evan1/JBTrio (shared)
Ken
shadowlight
ltr317 ( shoot-out)
goldlizsts
and myself - Mariusz :lol:

We can do NJ for tour #1
and -        NY for tour#2

I am keeping one for myself,
so I am volunteering to be last person on NY list.

As far as remaining order for both tours, I am all ears.

Unit 1 is under test and should be ready tomorrow.
Unit 2 - I will run it for few hours tonight and check all inputs and functions tomorrow.  (both units should be ready by Sunday .......maybe earlier)

Cheers
Mariusz  :thumb: 

Mariusz

« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2010, 08:23 pm »
Few simple rules to remember :

1. Period of the tour - 1 week per member

2. You are responsible for shipping or reckless driving and insurance of both - your car and the DAC.

3. Inform and make arrangements with next person on the tour.
4. Inspect the unit and notify me if there is something out of order functionaly or physically.
5. Be careful.

(Please forward your personal info ((full name, address, contact)) via PM.

Cheers
Mariusz

ltr317

« Reply #39 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm »
Mariusz,

I need to coordinate with Levi for him to bring the EE dac, so next week is probably out.  Any time after that is okay.  You can work the schedule around me.  Thanks.