Maverick Audio DAC tour

evan1

Re: Maverick Audio DAC tour
« Reply #60 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:30 am »
Update

I just had to tinker. I opened up the unit. It is not easy to remove the cover , probably because it is new and needs to be worked in.Tube is a pain in the neck to replace.Not convenient laying sideways. Went to my local supplier who will remain nameless  :lol: and grabbed a WE 396A and National 396a . Right now I am listening to Shelby Lynne Just A Little Lovin' and the tube has smoothed out the midrange and has given me a more liquid sound.
I think the gain is a little high on this unit and after reading the threads about the DAC it said that the new units were being sent out with a lower gain after a few cmments to the manufacturer. I do not know if this is one of those units but the gain could be lower in my system.I have a pair of attenuators somewhere maybe I will see if that helps or I just have to keep the volume on my Pre at a lower point than I am used too. This problem does not introduce distortion into my system. Still a great DAC and I am impressed. I will try the National tube later on in the day and hopefully do a comparo with a Paradisea.

Modified: I think with the tube roll it helped with the gain issue

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2010, 11:24 am by evan1 »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #61 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:42 am »
Update

I just had to tinker. I opened up the unit. It is not easy to remove the cover , probably because it is new and needs to be worked in.Tube is a pain in the neck to replace.Not convenient laying sideways. Went to my local supplier who will remain nameless :lol:and grabbed a WE 396A and National 396a . Right now I am listening to Shelby Lynne Just A Little Lovin' and the tube has smoothed out the midrange and has given me a more liquid sound.
I think the gain is a little high on this unit and after reading the threads about the DAC it said that the new units were being sent out with a lower gain after a few cmments to the manufacturer. I do not know if this is one of those units but the gain could be lower in my system.I have a pair of attenuators somewhere maybe I will see if that helps or I just have to keep the volume on my Pre at a lower point than I am used too. This problem does not introduce distortion into my system. Still a great DAC and I am impressed. I will try the National tube later on in the day and hopefully do a comparo with a Paradisea.

The dealer will not sue you for tampering with opening up the unit? .....  :lol:

evan1

« Reply #62 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:43 am »
The dealer will not sue you for tampering with opening up the unit?  Shoot some pictures while you can see the guts?.....  :lol:

Modified post and added pics

evan1

« Reply #63 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:48 am »
Shek
Bring breakfast, Joe will be home by 7 and I have to wait for DEP to install a new water meter

DAC SHOOTOUT

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #64 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:43 am »
Once the new water meter is in, will you finally start bathing? Big WAF there, sport!  :scratch:

When do you think you'll switch testing from coax to usb, that's what I want to hear about. (Right now using iTunes to break in new xover to my X-LS monitors, thinking a USB DAC would sound good here, but which one?)

evan1

« Reply #65 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:44 am »
Once the new water meter is in, will you finally start bathing? Big WAF there, sport!  :scratch:

When do you think you'll switch testing from coax to usb, that's what I want to hear about. (Right now using iTunes to break in new xover to my X-LS monitors, thinking a USB DAC would sound good here, but which one?)

This afternoon

evan1

« Reply #66 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm »

This afternoon

Gene, I hooked up the USB and I can say there is no audible difference to me. It sounds the same as the Coax input so this should be a plus for you.

evan1

« Reply #67 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:24 pm »
I switched out the WE396a tube and  I put in the National 396a and I think this is better. Midrange still smooth but vocals have more weight to them. More depth. I like it better than the WE396a. I think I can get my hands on a Bendex 396a later today. I recall liking that the best in the Paradisea. This is a winner. Didn't I already say that. Well...it is.

Mariusz

« Reply #68 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:46 pm »
Did you try head-amp or preamp (analog) section?
(no rush ...... you have plenty time)

I will give a 2nd unit a listen today and prep it for NJ guys.  :wink:

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #69 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:48 pm »
Did you try head-amp or preamp (analog) section?
(no rush ...... you have plenty time)

I will give a 2nd unit a listen today and prep it for NJ guys.  :wink:

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

tube pre-out
I'm not into headphones

Mariusz

« Reply #70 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:09 pm »
tube pre-out
I'm not into headphones

but did you use analog in?
or digital in only.

No problem with "testing cans" as I'll give it a serious listen ones
you guys are finished molesting the crop out of it.  :lol: 
Hopefully it will arrive ..... in one piece  :roll::lol:
(actually that unit may stay with one of NYAR-ers)

cheers :wink:

Mariusz 

evan1

« Reply #71 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:18 pm »
but did you use analog in?
or digital in only.

No problem with "testing cans" as I'll give it a serious listen ones
you guys are finished molesting the crop out of it.  :lol: 
Hopefully it will arrive ..... in one piece  :roll::lol:
(actually that unit may stay with one of NYAR-ers)

cheers :wink:

Mariusz 

No should I have? I used the Digital Coax input

mjosef

« Reply #72 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:22 pm »
Will there be some kinda group buy on this if there are sufficient interest?

evan1

« Reply #73 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:24 pm »
Will there be some kinda group buy on this if there are sufficient interest?

Hey who is the NYARaver keeping this ? He has to get it from me first  :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #74 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:47 pm »
We can ask Ryan of Maverick Audio about the group buy and options.
I do not see why not.

Hey who is the NYARaver keeping this ? He has to get it from me first  :lol:

and he might also get the tour discount........ :eyebrows:

evan1

« Reply #75 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:52 pm »
We can ask Ryan of Maverick Audio about the group buy and options.
I do not see why not.

and he might also get the tour discount........ :eyebrows:

Oh more suprises up his sleeves. What's the tour discount  ? who and where do I send funds ?

Mariusz

« Reply #76 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »
Oh more suprises up his sleeves. What's the tour discount  ? who and where do I send funds ?

discount isn't huge given the list price and direct sells but nice (say .... worth a few rep. tubes to try out with this DAC or upgraded PC) :drool:

free delivery and free break-in by experienced audio-geeks. :icon_twisted:

(I can ask if group buy is an option and possible savings)
 :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #77 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:06 pm »
Can I keep this one and send someone funds ?

Mariusz

« Reply #78 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:12 pm »
Can I keep this one and send someone funds ?

NO!!!!! :nono:
Tour must go on. :wink:

Besides, you might be dealing with one angry Raver ......... and myself.  :lol:

:thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #79 on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:23 pm »
(I can ask if group buy is an option and possible savings)

Please do...it looks like a quality component, top notch cosmetics and if the sonics is up there the package would be quite the bargain.
Thanks.