First Build with X-LS Kit - pics

freerider

First Build with X-LS Kit - pics
« on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:07 am »
Here's another thread on a newbie X-LS build.  This is my first real woodworking project ever, so there have been some mistakes made already.  Just thought I'd share my struggles, as I attempt to create my own little slice of audio nirvana.

neekomax

Re: First Build with X-LS Kit - pics
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:13 am »
Something's missing here...  :scratch:

freerider

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:19 am »
Here's my current build situation:

I know, I know, I never said it would be pretty.

I screwed up on routering the holes, because I didn't hold down the inner cutout with a screw or double stick tape.  Didn't know about that trick until reading Flyingpoint's thread.  I also used a homebrew circle jig, but I don't think that is the cause of the bad holes.  I also used router bits from Harbor Freight Tools that didn't seem to cut through the MDF as well as they should have, so that could be another contributing factor.

But at least the tweeter inset hole is even.  The other ugly holes won't be seen.

Here I am using 1/16 vinyl flooring to cover the interior walls.  Also caulked the seams, as I didn't trust my clamp job to make perfectly sealed seams.  I didn't use any nails, so my seams are not perfect.  I'm hoping sanding will clean up the lips.

I did router out the woofer hole with a 1/2" round over bit.  This is good practice for my future LS6 build, though I think I'll use a 3/8" round over on that.

freerider

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:23 am »
Something's missing here...  :scratch:

You were too quick for me! 

Overall, I'd say it looks like s**t so far, but I'm hopeful that I haven't made any mistakes that will affect the sonic quality.  I'll finish it up with some foam on top of the vinyl, some poly fill, and call er good after hitting it with textured spray paint.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:29 am »
I think they have a certain nobility to them. I really like the photos, freerider. They're evocative.

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:30 am »
Oh what fun!

freerider

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:41 am »
It would be great to get a recommendation for foam to put on top of the vinyl.  I'm not sure what to do there.  I have a couple sheets of 3/4 thick sound dampening foam, used for room acoustic treatments, but I'm not sure if that's what needs to be in the cabinet.

I understand the function of the vinyl is to deaden the cabinet further, and the poly fill helps trick the bass into thinking it has a larger volume cabinet, but I don't know what the foam is supposed to do.  Perhaps just reduce internal reflections?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:27 pm »
but I don't know what the foam is supposed to do.  Perhaps just reduce internal reflections?

Yep.

You can line the cabinet with a foam material, fiberglass insulation, or poly fill. Cover each wall with a layer. Then fill the area behind the woofer with a very loose fill. And be sure to leave a clear air path to the port.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2011, 02:02 pm »
It would be great to get a recommendation for foam to put on top of the vinyl.  I'm not sure what to do there.  I have a couple sheets of 3/4 thick sound dampening foam, used for room acoustic treatments, but I'm not sure if that's what needs to be in the cabinet.
That should work well.  A couple of layers of carpet padding is also a cheap option.

Scott

freerider

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2011, 05:33 pm »
Is there a reliable type of spray-on adhesive that works well to keep this foam in place?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:57 am »
No Rez comes with the adhesive. :thumb:

freerider

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2011, 05:43 pm »
No Rez comes with the adhesive. :thumb:

I've got two empty LS6 cabinets about 4 feet to the left of those pictures.  I'm saving my No Rez budget for those.  8)

Besides, I'm pretty happy with how these ugly beasts are sounding right now with the vinyl.  When you tap on the untreated box, it sounds like a wood drum.  When I tap on side of the vinyl treated box, it resembles tapping my concrete floor.  Solid, with very little echo or reverberation inside.

When I add the acoustic dampening foam I have, things are going to get real quiet.

grimace

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2011, 07:04 pm »
Is there a reliable type of spray-on adhesive that works well to keep this foam in place?

Buy a can of the 3M 77 Spray Adhesive, that should work just fine.

freerider

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2011, 08:46 pm »
Thanks Grimace, I'll do that!

For the binding posts, my current plan is to use a couple of Dayton Audio BPA-38g's, because the plastic cup with binding posts that comes with kit looks like passive radiator to me.  I like the idea of just drilling a couple small holes instead of have a plastic cup in the back of the speaker.  I'm sure I'd never hear the difference, but the theory seems rational.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2011, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Grimace, I'll do that!

For the binding posts, my current plan is to use a couple of Dayton Audio BPA-38g's, because the plastic cup with binding posts that comes with kit looks like passive radiator to me.  I like the idea of just drilling a couple small holes instead of have a plastic cup in the back of the speaker.  I'm sure I'd never hear the difference, but the theory seems rational.

Don't worry, that cup will never make a sound.

freerider

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:09 am »
I assume the crossover is normally mounted to the bottom.  In this case, what happens with the NoRez or foam that would normally be in that spot?  Should there be foam under the crossover, or over the crossover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:58 am »
I assume the crossover is normally mounted to the bottom.  In this case, what happens with the NoRez or foam that would normally be in that spot?  Should there be foam under the crossover, or over the crossover?

Mount the crossover to the bottom then cover it with poly fill or fiberglass insulation.

freerider

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:02 pm »
Thanks for all the advice Danny!  Your customer service is the best ever.  If you were a waiter, I couldn't afford the tip!

So here's where I ended up last night:

Took off the clamps, so I've got one complete box.

Finished vinyl on the other box.

Foamed up the completed box, using the 3M spray (thanks Grimace).

I still need to add foam to the back wall, and a little in front of the crossover.  The perceptive viewer may have noted the lack of terminal cups.  I don't think I can successfully router a pretty hole with the speaker assembled, so I'm just going to use binding posts.  I don't have any right now, so that's why the speaker wire is going through the port at the moment.

Today I'll finish the foam, screw down the crossover, and install the speakers.  I should have one playing before the day is out!  I'll finish the 2nd one tomorrow or next day.

freerider

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:05 pm »
I was wondering, is this foam too close to the woofer?

I thought with how much the woofer angles in towards the magnet, it might clear this.  But I'm prepared to trim it back as needed.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #19 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
I'd trim it a bit.  You've done a very nice job on these so far, and they should really sound great.  Not bad at all for your first time out.  :thumb: