Hlly AMK Mark II Preamp Anyone?

Gvt1911

Hlly AMK Mark II Preamp Anyone?
« on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:07 pm »
I was tired of trying to find a good sounding SS preamp as a backup or for a second system. I took a leap of faith and ordered one of the new Hlly AMK pre's from China. Total cost DELIVERED was $120.00. I have had it in my system for 3 days now and I cannot believe something this cheap could be so well made and sound so good! :o Yes the unit has some flaws, but $120.00 !! Best part is that is has a FULL function tiny remote control. You can switch between CD, Aux, Tuner, etc. Also has mute and 2 step volume up/down and 1 step volume up/down and balance L/R. The sound is VERY nice across the board. I found that at high output levels, vocals can get a wee bit edgy, but $120.00 ! Anyone else have one yet? Maybe a tweek here or there? Worth looking into for a second system. Just My 2 cents! :thumb:

LostInPA

Re: Hlly AMK Mark II Preamp Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2010, 10:23 pm »
Agreed, this is tough to match at that price, or even at a considerably higher price.   You could probably find the parts and DIY, but why waste your time?   Fit 'n finish are as remarkable as the functionality.   I got mine for the same reasons as yours, for use in a second system.   Remote control of volume was a must, all of the other features are a plus.   Even something this simple does need some breakin time.   I have has mine in use for about two weeks now.   The overall sound and particularly the higher frequencies do get less edgy.   I no longer have the patience or the manual dexterity to do mods to small solid state equipment, and I do hope that someone capable does do so and then share the results.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2010, 12:07 am »
Where did you get it?  Mfr direct?  Went to the website but no pics of the back or the remote. Could one of you post a couple, please?  Can either of you post some impressions about the general sonic characteristics?

TIA,
Jake

srb

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2010, 12:26 am »
From eBay seller, ns_fm_transmitter's ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/HLLY-AMK-II-Pre-amplifier-AD797-CS3310-Included-/330475311645

Also there is a photo of the circuit board, but none of the remote.

Steve

Gvt1911

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2010, 01:57 pm »
The sound of the unit is quite neutral. At first I thought it was lacking bass, but after listening to it for awhile found that it was very nice across the board. Nothing added on either end of the spectrum. The highs are not bright at all.Vocals are very clean with a bit of grain at louder levels. I am comparing this unit to any SS preamp in the $75.00 - $350.00 range, such as Belles, Adcom, Proton, NAD,Hafler,etc. I can take pics of remote, but never posted pics before. I can email them to someone who can if you like. Just email me bhur45@verizon.net
Of course the input RCA's are close together and it is a bit hard to use locking RCA's on them, just tight fit. The output RCA's seem to be pure copper and say Made in USA, very nice.
You can set the MASTER volume and then adjust volume normally via remote. Much like a nice car stereo, everything is digital. This one I feel is a no brainer and you get it DIRECT from Hlly in China. He is offering a 12% discount on 10 or more pieces, maybe everyone should get together and buy a lot of 10.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:37 pm »
Thank you for your responses, gents.

I noticed that the eBay auctions starts at $99.00 (+shipping=$28.00) with no reserve and often closes for that amount.  And I agree it's a no-brainer for the performance at that price!

Again, thank you.  Seems like an amazing amount of cool stuff would go under my radar were it not for this community.

Gvt1911

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2010, 06:00 pm »
Hope this picture of remote comes up.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2010, 06:45 pm »
You should be able to verify that photos will view correctly and that hyperlinks work correctly by previewing the post with the Preview button before clicking the Submit button.

Steve

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2010, 07:41 am »
Nice find   :wink:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:00 pm »
Nice price. Just imagine the incredible markup that Ian Grant must be making.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
Nice price. Just imagine the incredible markup that Ian Grant must be making.

What I'm trying to imagine is why you would single out one AudioCircle importer out of many Chinese importers, who incidentally according to some customer posts on this forum, has provided exceptional customer service not normally provided with direct end user importation.

Steve

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »

What I'm trying to imagine is why you would single out one AudioCircle importer out of many Chinese importers, who incidentally according to some customer posts on this forum, has provided exceptional customer service not normally provided with direct end user importation.

Steve

+1

Mmaxed

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm »

Steve

+2

Stocking inventory and dealing with/helping customers does not come free.  Also, if I am not mistaken, Grant has free shipping. 

Mmaxed

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:54 am »
By the way, does anyone have an idea of how this unit would compare sound wise to a Pass B1?   

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2010, 02:42 am »
I sometimes wonder, myself. Still, he probably makes an incredible markup.

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:04 am »
That is a good question, even though I've not heard a Pass B1.  Any comparisons to established equipment is a good reference.  For me personally it would need to be referenced against the preamps I have experienced, e.g. McCormack ALD-1, Jeff Rowland Design Group Coherence One Series II.

Oh, I also agree with srb, TCG, and Mmaxed, entering a thread and basically insulting a member in good standing that many people have had excellent dealings with, provides outstanding customer service, and does all that legwork and  essentially eliminates the associated headaches of returning a piece of gear overseas is worth the markup isn't the best form to put forth in a public venue.  If you've ever worked in retail sales you would be well aquainted with the trial and tribulations of direct customer interaction and satisfaction.  Add to that the quirky customer base that we audiophools make up and I think it's a miracle anyone does it at all!  I, for one, would hate to have to sell me a piece of gear in a retail situation!

MWG-
Please define what you think to be "an incredible markup" as well as what you think is a reasonable markup?

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:49 am »
B1 is a buffer so don't know if they are comparable.  Highly doubt it sounds as good frankly. Hlly products have been soso quality from what I've read. They pay attention to DIY trends and put out stuff based on that. Still for the money its cheaper than thepga 3310 kits and you get a nice enclosure to boot.  Skeptical about the copper RCA made in USA though.

Gvt1911

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:17 pm »
I checked the "copper" output RCA's and found that there are gold plated CMC units. I found them here:

I just wanted people to know that this unit is very nice for the money and the sound quality is impressive. Sorry to see that some folks take it off topic.  :(

Gvt1911

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:45 pm »
Well I had some time on my hands and took this preamp apart. I found that the unit uses AD797 opamps, not bad. I also found 2 small value caps connected to the opamp legs. One on each channel. They are the blue caps on the board and read 470pf @ 630 volts. No brand on them. I had a couple of Wima 680pf FKP 100 volt caps lying around, so I figured why not swap. I did the swap out and the results were 10 fold. Now the preamp has much more depth and the soundstage has improved. Also the "grain" is almost all gone in the vocals. I can now play it at louder levels without my ears bleeding! It sounds much "warmer", I dare to say more "tube like". It was the best 80 cents I have ever spent. This unit is a real sleeper ! Just wanted to share the results. You can take a decent sounding unit and get it sounding much better for next to nothing!  :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2010, 03:27 pm »
Well I had some time on my hands and took this preamp apart. I found that the unit uses AD797 opamps, not bad. I also found 2 small value caps connected to the opamp legs. One on each channel. They are the blue caps on the board and read 470pf @ 630 volts. No brand on them. I had a couple of Wima 680pf FKP 100 volt caps lying around, so I figured why not swap. I did the swap out and the results were 10 fold. Now the preamp has much more depth and the soundstage has improved. Also the "grain" is almost all gone in the vocals. I can now play it at louder levels without my ears bleeding! It sounds much "warmer", I dare to say more "tube like". It was the best 80 cents I have ever spent. This unit is a real sleeper ! Just wanted to share the results. You can take a decent sounding unit and get it sounding much better for next to nothing!  :thumb:

Hi, So were these caps at the input? If so, then why not just bypass them. Just curious.

Ray Bronk