Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

sfig

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #100 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:22 pm »
Great.  It looks like there are two upcoming Antelope Zodiac + /PS comparisons to look forward to.  One will have the Volticus and the Hynes SR-3 18 with the Zodiac + under one roof and another will have the Pardo and perhaps another PS paired with the Zodiac + compared to the Weiss DAC 2.

I'm very interested in the findings as I will be looking to either the Hynes or Pardo as my PS upgrade unless the Volticus can somehow validate the very significant price difference.

BTW 6moons lists the Zodiac Gold + Volticus as an upcoming review subject

roscoeiii

« Reply #101 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:41 pm »
Let's see if we can rope Vinnie at RWA to send around a Black Lightening for the Zodiac+.

Philistine

« Reply #102 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:50 pm »
Let's see if we can rope Vinnie at RWA to send around a Black Lightening for the Zodiac+.

This is a completely different direction than the AC based supplies, if it gives a significant step change in performance when compared with the <$500 supplies then there could be a demand for it.  I believe most existing, and potential owners, wouldn't be interested in the $1000+ price tag without a major improvement.  I'm not trying to put cold water on the idea, just trying to be realistic on expectations - if it has potential then it would be great for someone to try it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #103 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:57 pm »
IIRC, thew RWA was closer to $800, cheaper than the Antelope Voltikus PSU.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #104 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:27 pm »
Yes, we have a unit promised for mid March delivery. The preview is already penned but not live yet. I'm still waiting for the company's Leizer Benvenishty to answer a few questions on how, exactly, the Gold differs from the Plus (aside from the obvious items listed on the website)  :icon_lol:

I no longer have the Plus of course and I know it would be interesting to compare a Plus + Voltikus to a Gold solo and see what gives. Perhaps someone else can skin that cat.

I ran the idea of a Black Lightning past Vinnie today. Only in retrospect did I realize that he makes these to order for a given voltage figure so I'd consider it unlikely he could accommodate a review request. But should he say yes, it'd be an interesting comparison I would think.

Has anyone here worked with Antelope's software panel yet for the Zodiac DACs btw?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:38 pm »
Srajan,
Thanks for that.  I haven't seen the promised software panel yet.  My buddy who bought the demo 600+ hr Zodiac Plus (and is getting the Pardo PS in the next few days) will email Marcel and ask (i don't have the owner info like s/n or I'd do it). 

I know we chatted about the Plus and it's predilection to hundreds of hours of burn in, and the fact that reviewers like you can't afford that kind of time to baby sit....so has Antelope delivered a well-broken-in Gold for you?  I assume the break-in is at least as bad, if not worse (bigger bolder analog stage).

gabrielo

« Reply #106 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:46 pm »
Has anyone here worked with Antelope's software panel yet for the Zodiac DACs btw?
Srajan,
Any idea if the software panel gonna work with the zodiac+ or will it be a gold only feature?
I'm still hoping to find a way to disable the white LED without resorting to stickers on a $2500 unit :=(

/gabriel

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #107 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:51 pm »
The Gold + Voltikus haven't been delivered yet. They're promised for around March 10th. Re: break-in, we'll see whether this time the gods will smile upon that issue. If not (and if the Gold is significantly better than the Plus right outa the gate) I may just have to hang on to it for a longer time  :oops:

If we discount the 384 thing which is meaningless at present; and the volume control if we use a preamp; and the remote control which in that instance we don't need; and the power supply which is optional and can also be leashed to the Plus; and the full-size USB vs the mini of the Plus which allows the 'manly' aftermarket cables... then the only difference left for the Gold is the analog output stage (which is supposed to be different) and possible parts upgrades in the otherwise identical digital circuitry (not sure about that).

I asked Antelope how the analog output stage differs and we'll see what the answer is. That alone could make a significant difference over the Plus. Adding a linear power supply (the Voltikus or one of the aftermarket options) ought to as well. The curious thing will be, how much - difference? About the moolah we already know...

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #108 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:54 pm »
Re: the software panel, Igor was gonna email me a proto version while I still had the Plus. That didn't happen but it suggests that the panel would also work on the Plus. Before I spread rumors however, it'll be best to ask the company directly if you need to know now. I'll make sure to have an answer also in the review (but that won't post for some time or even longer depending on whether I get a virgin or cooked unit).

marley3

« Reply #109 on: 25 Feb 2011, 12:59 am »
You guys need to take a look at the TeddyDac made by Teddy Pardo.  It's in another league, IMHO.

cryoparts

« Reply #110 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:39 am »
FYI--The Voltikus'es (Voltiki?) cleared customs yesterday, so Antelope USA should have them shortly.  Whoever has one on order should be getting them next week--I am looking forward to the arrival of mine! 

Peace,

Lee

Bigfish

« Reply #111 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:49 am »
Guys:

I would like to thank Paul Hynes for offering to send his Zodiac power supply on a U.S. Tour.  I had contacted Paul a few weeks ago to determine if he had built a power supply for the Zodiac+, pricing, etc.  Paul responded immediately but I held off waiting for other owners to report the impact of replacing the stock, switching power supply.  Heck, this from a guy that purchased a linear power supply for a Mac Mini and could definitely hear the improvement in sound quality.  Go figure!!

I hope those that receive linear power supplies for the Zodiac+ or those that have already evaluated a linear supply will post their findings.

Thanks,

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:24 am »
Hello Ted,

The SR3-18 has been mated with the Zodiac and it works very well according to those who have tried it. It also works well with the M2Tech Young DAC. I’m shipping one out to the States for trial in around 14 days and would be pleased to let it go on tour after this trial if you want to try one.

Regards
Paul

Paul, I would love to hear your PS for the Zodiac (and Young :) ), and would be open to help coordinate a US tour.

gabrielo

« Reply #113 on: 25 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm »
Paul, I would love to hear your PS for the Zodiac (and Young :) ), and would be open to help coordinate a US tour.
Ted,

Do you have access to M2TECH Young? If so how does it compare with the Zodiac+?
The Young looks like a steal with $1500 price tag for a product doing 384/32 (I know there is no music in that format, but at list it will be able to deal with 192/24 no problem) and with M2Tech good track in the digital domain it should be a great product if they only do the analog part properly.

/gabi

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #114 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:33 pm »
Ken,

I have never done a power supply tour before and it will be interesting to get some feedback from you guys about where you see the SR3 regarding performance. So I will have to thank you too for any feedback, good or bad.

Ted,

I will set up a lead for the Young DAC too as they have slightly different pin sizes on the DC connector. Thanks for offering some coordination help. Much appreciated as I am not very familiar with the layout of your country.

Regards
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:29 pm »
Ted,

Do you have access to M2TECH Young? If so how does it compare with the Zodiac+?
The Young looks like a steal with $1500 price tag for a product doing 384/32 (I know there is no music in that format, but at list it will be able to deal with 192/24 no problem) and with M2Tech good track in the digital domain it should be a great product if they only do the analog part properly.

/gabi

Yes, I've had the Young here for about a month, but the first version was too unstable for release (swapping channels, lost drivers, etc).  When it worked it was quite good, and I have some 24/384 converted DSD files that were sublime.  It is being fitted with new boards and will be back in my possession in a week or two.  I will start another thread at that time.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: 25 Feb 2011, 02:35 pm »

Ted,

I will set up a lead for the Young DAC too as they have slightly different pin sizes on the DC connector. Thanks for offering some coordination help. Much appreciated as I am not very familiar with the layout of your country.

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul.  I will contact those who have a Plus currently (Ken/Bigfish, David/Rydenfan, Mark/Owenmd, etc.) to coordinate.  Anyone on this thread who has a Zodiac Plus in the US (and wants to hear Paul's PS with it) please PM me.  I'm not exactly sure where each of you live.  I'm in OH, Ken in PA and David in Boston , Mass.  We'll take the coordination stuff off this thread, please.

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #117 on: 25 Feb 2011, 03:49 pm »
Ted,

Do you want me to set up a thread on my Circle for the coordination of the tour then this thread can continue as the title says without commercial issues.

Regards
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #118 on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:02 pm »
Ted,

Do you want me to set up a thread on my Circle for the coordination of the tour then this thread can continue as the title says without commercial issues.

Regards
Paul

Great idea, thanks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:10 pm »
I started a tour thread on Paul's circle.  Please continue to discuss non-Paul Hynes PS stuff here, as well as general Zodiac DAC discussions.