DIY'er's Delight

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
DIY'er's Delight
« on: 2 Jan 2008, 02:42 am »
We've had many requests for our OB 5 and OB 7 CNC flat pack kits.

With our shop time being pretty booked up coming into 2008, it would be frantic to do one kit here, and one kit there for DIY'er's.

So I've decided to offer a New Years special on the kits for a limited time, in an effort to "batch" the orders. After that, we'll go back to the original prices, and timelines will be based depending on our work load.

I'm knocking $50.00 off both kits.

OB-7 flat packs:  $300.00 crated and ready to ship.

OB-5 flat packs:  $275.00 crated and ready to ship.

These kits include all the MDF parts you need for the cabinet, including bases. All driver holes are cut out, backsides rounded over, and properly recessed where needed. Front baffle edges are rounded over. Bases are drilled for attaching to speakers, and are drilled for the threaded inserts for the floor spikes. The backs are drilled for the Vampire binding posts that come wth the kit from GR Research.

All the braces are labelled, and the sides marked and labelled for the braces. All you need are glue and clamps.  :dance:

You can order and prepay for the kits directly through GR Research.

In order to estimate shipping, please provide your Zip code, and we'll advise you on shipping costs.

Cheers

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2008, 06:24 pm by Daygloworange »

Larry McConville

Re: DIY'er's Delight
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:00 pm »
Good Afternoon Denny,

Thanks for the timely correspondence over the last couple of days; I'm in the process of ordering three OB-7 kits from Danny as I type.

I'm now having visions of a Walnut Burl veneer...

Regards,

Larry

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:22 pm »
Larry,

The last customer who ordered OB 7 flat packs from us called to tell me how easy it was to assemble the kit. He had them assembled and painted in record time.

Please feel free to post pics of your build, and tell us how it goes.

I'm sure you will be very pleasantly surprised with their performance once you're all done.

Cheers

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:26 pm »
 :D  how does the ob7-plus kit work???? thks  :D

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:38 pm »
We haven't done an OB 7+ incorporating our design aesthetic.

Our preference would be for satellite subs. With the new subwoofers from GR, open baffle subs are possible.  :drool:

Cheers

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2008, 08:48 pm »
Our preference would be for satellite subs. With the new subwoofers from GR, open baffle subs are possible.  :drool:

aa

Anand.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2008, 10:35 pm »
 aa

Oh Yeah!

You know it!  :thumb:

Cheers

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2008, 12:49 pm »
How much do these kits weigh? At my location, I can only receive packages through the postal system.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2008, 01:39 pm »
The OB 7 flat pack kit weighs approximately 135lbs including the shipping crate.

The OB 5 kit weighs a couple of pounds more.

Cheers

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:59 pm »
Any way to get them in curved front or side baffles?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2008, 09:25 pm »
We're moving on 3 confirmed orders for flat packs.

That means lots a pics, and lots a reviews :thumb:

Any way to get them in curved front or side baffles?

Yes, we can do that. Normally we offer the curved sides at a $150.00 U.S. up charge, but I'll offer them at a $120.00 upcharge for this run of OB 5/7's only.

We've also been asked for front baffle options. So I'll give you a few prices I've worked out for some clients.

Flat baffles, with edges radiused, fully veneered in figured domestic woods (bookmatched pair) is a $200.00 U.S. upcharge.

Curved front baffles, with driver seats dished and fully veneered in figured domestic hardwoods (bookmatched pair) is a $385.00 U.S. option.

Veneers included in this price range would be curly (fiddleback) maple, curly cherry, curly sycamore, etc...

Other veneers are certainly available, but priced on a per order basis.

Cheers

Zero the Hero

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2008, 10:58 pm »
The OB 7 flat pack kit weighs approximately 135lbs including the shipping crate.

The OB 5 kit weighs a couple of pounds more.

Cheers

Is the OB5 heavier because it's the enclosed look, like the pictures on the website? Is it possible to get an OB5 kit with the upper part open like the OB7?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2008, 11:07 pm »
Yes, you can build it with a fully open back and many already have. There are some pics around here in various threads of them built like that.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm »
Yes the OB-5 from Denny looks just like the OB-7. It isnt the way it is on Gr-research site

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2008, 01:00 am »
Yes the OB-5 from Denny looks just like the OB-7. It isnt the way it is on Gr-research site

The new OB-5 cabinet design as offered by Denny is the same as the OB-7 except for it being a ported enclosure and only two bass drivers. This allows a full open baffle design for the midrange.

The OB-5 and OB-7 utilize the same MTM arrangement and crossover with the only differences being the bass driver's enclosure (and obviously the crossover below the midrange).

Here is a picture of the OB-5 as offered by us as a completed speaker. Cabinets are still built by Denny. The flat packs offered by Denny are identical except for the curvature on the sides of the enclosure and the recessing for all the drivers on the front baffle as can be seen in the lower picture but as mentioned by Denny in a previous post, you can also have these options in your flat packs (not sure about the baffle enhancements as these would be very difficult to veneer)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2008, 11:51 pm »
Most people are opting for the open top OB 5/7 design. The crossover did change slightly from the prototype versions that had a back an top.

OB 5 and OB 7 side by side:

Just a heads up,

We've produced 9 or 10 flat pack orders, and are down to 2 left. This will be it for a little while, as we have a number of other jobs scheduled. The sale price will apply to these last 2 kits only. The prices will go back up to what we were offering them for before this run.

Good luck with your build guys, and lets see some pics and reviews!  :thumb:

Cheers

Christof

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2008, 12:16 am »
This has got to be one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a long while.  I should get out more but damn Denny those are sweet baffles!!!

chrismercurio

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:13 am »
I agree. The curve baffles are awesome. That is NOT for the faint of heart, for those without patience, or those without REALLY cool tools.

C

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2008, 02:37 pm »
Thanks Cristof,  :green: Coming from a fellow woodchucker, I really appreciate the compliment.

I really do like the way the OB series speakers look with the curves as well.  :P

We've got another turnkey pair of OB 7's on order for a customer, as well as we are doing a pair of curved/pre veneered pair of baffles for one of the flat pack customers.

Cheers

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2008, 03:26 pm »
I'm interested in building a pair.  I think I'd paint them.  Can I get the OB7 with a non-veneered curved front baffle? (any pics of that curve?)

And do I need to biscuit join the frames to the external panels or are they pegged?

While I'm at it, still doing any of the LS cabinets?

Pete