Affordable CD Ripping / FLAC Encoding Service! (Move to PC based audio today!)

Tirade

For almost 4 years now I have been encoding and ripping member’s music collections to FLAC and other digital formats so that they can have their entire CD collection in a format that is future proof and allows them to take a step towards some of the newer front ends like the Squeezebox, Olive line of devices and other PC based front-ends. Lossless copies of your music sound better in most cases than the original CD's and are WAY more conveinent to manage and sort.

After offering this service for free for the AC community for a while, I have decided to turn it into a side business and try to raise a little extra money to help pay off some medical bills. I realize that there are a few companies out there who will rip your collection to FLAC for you but they are usually expensive, lack that personal touch and make it difficult for you to organize and maintain your music collection in the future as you buy new CD's.

So why should you choose me to rip your CD collection?

1.   TRUST! I have countless AC members who can vouch for my ripping services and I have ripped collections in size from 200 – 3000 CD’s. I've been doing this for almost 4 years now, and I care about how your CD's are handled and treated.

2.   ALL INCLUSIVE! Most companies who offer FLAC as an encoding option usually don’t tag your music. My ripping service is all inclusive and tagging is done at no additional charge. Each song will be tagged with Artist, Title, Track #, Album Artist, Genre and Release Year to allow for easy indexing.

3.   TIME & DATA RECOVERY! I currently have close to 5000 CD’s already ripped to FLAC in my archive. This allows me to dramatically speed up the time it takes to get your collection into digital format. The DB is stored offline and for archival purposes only. If you ever lose your collection you can just ship another drive to me and I will be able to restore your collection free of charge.

4.   COVER ART! All CD’s are ripped to individual folders and then we attempt to locate the CD cover art for each album by searching over 15 cover art sources.

5.   PRICE! Pricing is tricky but according to my research the average ripping cost is right around $1-$1.50 per CD and that doesn’t include tagging, cover art and organizing. In some cases if you want your collection encoded into FLAC it costs extra. My ripping charge is .50 cents per CD and you get everything included. IMPORTANT INFO! starting April 1st 2008 I will be raising the prices from .50 per CD to .65 (if you contacted me already then the .50 price will still apply).

6.   ACCURACY! I have access to 5 different music databases so the odds that your music is identified and tagged correctly is very high. All songs are verified against the AccurateRip database during the ripping process so you can be assured that you are getting bit perfect copies of your music.

7.   SUPPORT! I will help you configure your hardware and maintain your music library so that you can rip future CD's on your own.

STORAGE - You can provide your own external hard drive or purchase one directly from me at cost. I do offer the option of burning your collection to DVD’s but there is a surcharge of 20% of the total order to cover the cost of the blank DVD's and the additional time (i.e. a $300 order would be an additional $60 to burn a backup of your music library on to DVD's).

PAYMENT/CONTACT INFO - I am an 8 year verified paypal member and will gladly accept credit card payments in addition to checks/money orders. You can send me a private message here on AC but due to mailbox limits the best way to reach me is via email at Tirade75@gmail.com. If you prefer a more personal touch you can PM me and I will gladly provide my phone # to answer any questions/concerns you may have.

SHIPPING - Feel free to use the shipping carrier of your choice however I would suggest not shipping large boxes via USPS (US Mail) if it can be avoided. I have good contacts with the local UPS office and the hub is right down the road from my house in case of any problems. UPS and FedEx are generally cheaper than USPS for bigger packages and thier tracking capabilities are much better. I only charge you for actual return shipping/packing costs (or closely estimated) and the prices are not inflated. The price you pay to ship it to me is what it will cost for me to ship it back to you.

PACKING - While spindles can be a safe way to ship CD's if packed right, there is really no subsitution for a quality CD case. If you need a decent quality CD case, you can get some at www.supermediastorage.com and its hard to beat thier prices. A 416 CD capacity case is about $20 shipped here. These are not the highest quality but are better than what you will find at most mega stores.

In order to qualify for any insurance claims in the rare event that something gets damaged during shipping, please remember to have at least 2" of packing material on all sides of your CD's. Keep in mind that packing peanuts alone do not qualify as acceptable packing material for insurance claims. When in doubt, take it to a shipping center and have them pack the box for you, that way you can be sure your claim won't be denied.

In the end, there are a few things I would like to mention to save everyone (including myself) some headache.

If you have not taken care of your CD’s then do not ask me to rip them. A damaged CD can take hours to rip and I do not have the time nor the desire to do that. Slightly damaged, marred or dirtys CD's can be polished and cleaned in some cases but if there is an excess in the amount of cleaning/polishing I have to do, I will charge accordingly.

Classical/Foreign/Obscure music is harder to accurately tag and harder to find cover art for. If you’re collection consists of a lot of classical music then please allow extra time for ripping and a surcharge in some cases. If you want your CD’s ripped overnight then please look elsewhere. I am a family man and family comes first. Ripping is a part-time service and it is only something I do in the evenings and weekends. I am very proficient at ripping CD's and while I can rip most collections in less time than the large companies offer, if you are on a strict time schedule then I may not be your best bet. I can usually get out 300-600 CD's in a week but I do operate on a first come first serve basis.

For an idea of what the ripped folders look like in a window, here is a quick screenshot.

For a list of CD's currently in the archive you can find the list here in .XLS (Excel 1997-2003) format:

http://www.kayakingcoach.com/cddb092807.xls

If you do not have Excel you can see the HTML version here:

http://www.kayakingcoach.com/cddb092807.html

If you are a member of TAAS you can get your collection ripped for free! Visit this thread HERE for more information.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2008, 01:18 pm by Tirade »

Nick B

That is a great service and a great price. I wish I had an external drive to send you, but my 250G drive is internal and so is my backup.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
My only reservation would be in entrusting my entire collection to a shipper. :o

Tirade

That is a great service and a great price. I wish I had an external drive to send you, but my 250G drive is internal and so is my backup.

External enclosures can be found for as little as $20 and can convert any internal drive into an external USB drive.

I have external enclosures that I can mount your internal drive in temporarily in order to rip your collection and then you can remount it as internal drive when it arrives back to you if you wish to keep it internal.

Tirade

External enclosures can be found for as little as $20 and can convert any internal drive into an external USB drive.

I have external enclosures that I can mount your internal drive in temporarily in order to rip your collection and then you can remount it as internal drive when it arrives back to you if you wish to keep it internal.

Always ship on a Mon or Tues and always, always pay for insurance above and beyond the cost of your collection.

Nick B

Nick B

Tirade
I want to discuss further and will send you a PM Saturday afternoon
Nick B

MaxCast

How many cds fill up 100GB?
Nick, what is your area code?

Tirade

Tirade
I want to discuss further and will send you a PM Saturday afternoon
Nick B

I should be available most of the day Saturday, I look forward to your PM.

Tirade

275-300 CD's per 100GB

Nick B

435    I'm in so Utah.

Tirade

All PM's answered, have a great 4th!

Carlman

Just wanted to add a quick 2 cents about dealing with Tim/Tirade... he's extremely accomodating and communicates well.  He just finished a huge batch of cd's for me (actually my wife's collection) and is shipping tomorrow.  I expect the results to be great as they were last time.

I think one 'feature' of using Tim's service is that he'll share his EAC profile with you.  So, if you want to continue ripping the same way he does, he'll send you the file to do so!  Great job.

Looking forward to receiving my cd's... be sure to insure them for the return trip!

-Carl

Nick B

I think one 'feature' of using Tim's service is that he'll share his EAC profile with you.  So, if you want to continue ripping the same way he does, he'll send you the file to do so!  Great job.

Looking forward to receiving my cd's... be sure to insure them for the return trip!

-Carl

I only use Easy CD-DA. Wonder if that would be a problem. Also, aren't there limits on insurance? I have CD's from Japan and Europe that cost me over $30 each. Have over 300CD's. Tim has responded via PM's to my questions and has been great so far.

Tirade

-Carl

I only use Easy CD-DA. Wonder if that would be a problem. Also, aren't there limits on insurance? I have CD's from Japan and Europe that cost me over $30 each. Have over 300CD's. Tim has responded via PM's to my questions and has been great so far.

UPS Declared Value Charges
Domestic Services (per package)
Declared Value Charge
$0.00 to $100.00 FREE
$100.01 to $300.00 $1.20 minimum
$300.01 to $50,000.00 $.40 per $100 of value

UPS Declared Value Charges
International Services (per shipment)
Declared Value Charge
$0.00 to $100.00 FREE
$100.01 to $300.00 $1.20 minimum
$300.01 to $50,000.00 $.40 per $100 of value
>$50,000* Multiply Declared Value by .004
*$50,000 maximum declared value per package

It seems there is a max of $50,000 insurance coverage.

You can download EAC for free and just pop in my profile file and pretty much be on your way. As I mentioned in a follow up PM, I would be more than happy to offer phone support if you run into a snag setting it up.

Tim

Tirade

Quick bump because I know Carl received his 2nd batch of CD's back today and Im waiting for his 3rd batch to arrive.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2006, 02:42 pm by Tirade »

Carlman

Got everything... and it all looks (and sounds) GREAT as usual.  I couldn't be happier with the results... Thanks for sending the list of 'unburnables'.... (there were a few cd's that would not rip :( )

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to convert .flac to .mp3 and retain my folder structure.  It's easy to convert all the songs but not so easy to retain the folders....  If anyone has tips on that, I'd appreciate it.  I think Tim told me how but I forgot what he said.

Thanks again!!!

-Carl

Tirade

Got everything... and it all looks (and sounds) GREAT as usual.  I couldn't be happier with the results... Thanks for sending the list of 'unburnables'.... (there were a few cd's that would not rip :( )

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to convert .flac to .mp3 and retain my folder structure.  It's easy to convert all the songs but not so easy to retain the folders....  If anyone has tips on that, I'd appreciate it.  I think Tim told me how but I forgot what he said.

Thanks again!!!

-Carl

Carl Ill give you a ring this weekend and help you out with the conversion questions. As for the last bacth of CD's you sent me, Im 50% done already and expect to be able to get them out to you by the 24th.

For everyone else, if you need my services, now is a good time to contact me and get those CD's ripped!

Tim

gjo1314

Hi

My son in St Louis can easily bring back a HDD drive with an enclosure for me, if I can get the logistics all done-he leaves for home(India) during the Christmas break. My plan is to get a HDD and a Squeezebox through him.To understand correctly, you can mount the HDD temporarily in an enclosure for burning the disks,even if  a bare drive is shipped to you. Do you have any of these available should I want to buy one? Do you accept paypal?
Any suggestions for the best HDD+ enclsoure deal available for about 120-160GB?

Thanks

George
Bangalore, India

Tirade

All PM's/emails replied to.

Database is currently offline, but an updated one will be up in a day or 2.

Carl your CD's are on the way, will email tracking # tomorrow!

Gil, your CD's arrived safe and sound (after you know what happened!) and will start work on them this week.