Loaded Beacon One

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Loaded Beacon One
« on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:17 pm »
Beacon One:

This Beacon One comes with the following upgrades:

1) Artistic maple sides
2) Upgraded tube socket
3) Switchable buffer mode
4) Optional rocker switches

An upgrade has been made to our buffer mode option: The preamp no longer has to be turned off to change modes.

« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2011, 02:20 pm by Niteshade »

djbnh

Re: Loaded Beacon One
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2011, 02:19 am »
Wonder why that paint strikes a familiar chord?  :wink:

acresm22

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:05 am »
Looks stunning, Blair.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm »
Looks stunning, Blair.

Agree 100%.  Does this one use a 6SN7?  Does it sound different from the standard Beacon 1?  Price?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:35 pm »
It sounds VERY close to the standard Beacon One. I am using a 6SN7 by request. The 6SN7 & 12AU7 models would have to be closely A-B's to discern a difference.

Price for a 6SN7 based Beacon One as shown: $775.00

Includes: 6SN7, wood sides, rocker switches, two inputs, switchable buffer mode.

This preamp is 100% quiet, devoid of buzz, hum OR tube rush! It is capable of resolving an amazing amount of detail due to the extremely low noise floor.

borism

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:41 pm »
Could you make a balanced version and what would it cost with one balanced input, one single ended input and a balanced out?
Thanks,
Boris

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2011, 02:52 pm »
  Blair looking good Sir. Love the color. If I may, those steel screws would look great being brass.
  Time to get rolling.

charles
SMA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:22 pm »
Actually, I do not think a balanced design would be as good as the present unbalanced model. It may be beneficial with other manufacturer's designs, however- it is not remotely necessary in regards to optimizing the performance of anything I design.

The reason being: Tubes are naturally unbalanced amplification devices. Going away from the component's natural abilities will make a circuit more complex, expensive and not as true to the source.

Could you make a balanced version and what would it cost with one balanced input, one single ended input and a balanced out?
Thanks,
Boris

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2011, 05:12 pm »
As I recall, the standard Beacon 1 emits hardly any heat and is extremely efficient.

What about heat using the 6SN7?

Also, you mentioned a switchable buffer mode.  I thought all preamps, except passives, buffered the signal... but I'm no tech.

Thanks!

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2011, 05:51 pm »
Hi Blair:

That blue Beacon I looks very tasty indeed!  :thumb:

However, I still prefer my NS-60 SE and my Beacon III dressed in Crimson Red and quilted maple.  8)

Regards,

Randy

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2011, 06:20 pm »
  Really sweet looking. Wonder how Turquoise with golden Maple would look love the Egyptian look.

charles
SMA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
Not a bad idea! I can find brass wood screws, but not with a machine thread. I'll keep hunting.

Blair looking good Sir. Love the color. If I may, those steel screws would look great being brass.
  Time to get rolling.

charles
SMA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2011, 08:17 pm »
Very nice photos!

That NS-60 has a 60 watt Dynaco transformer set if I recall. I wired the tube rectifiers in push-pull and WOW! What a difference.  :D  More presence, better regulation and absolutely no stress on the rectifiers.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2011, 10:42 pm »
The 6SN7 version is cool running as well. Every tube operated amp and preamp I makes is designed to be easy on tubes.

You are right about active preamps being buffers in relation to the source. Buffers can also be used exclusively for isolation without adding any gain to a system and that is what the buffer option does.

As I recall, the standard Beacon 1 emits hardly any heat and is extremely efficient.

What about heat using the 6SN7?

Also, you mentioned a switchable buffer mode.  I thought all preamps, except passives, buffered the signal... but I'm no tech.

Thanks!

djbnh

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm »
Hi Blair:

That blue Beacon I looks very tasty indeed!  :thumb:

However, I still prefer my NS-60 SE and my Beacon III dressed in Crimson Red and quilted maple.
Blair, my spouse and I don't remember getting an amp faceplate aka "Niteshade" audio with my amp. I'll have to check the packing one more time.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2011, 12:02 am »
Not a bad idea! I can find brass wood screws, but not with a machine thread. I'll keep hunting.

Try MSC.  They have just about every type of screw imagineable.

MSCDirect.com