The best frozen dinner kit I have ever tasted made by

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Wanchai Ferry / General Tso's Spicy Garlic Chicken
I picked this up at Schnucks and could not believe how tasty it was. The best part is its ready in 15 minutes.

Going to try the other dinner kits they offer.
Anybody tried em here?

jakelieb

Re: The best frozen dinner kit I have ever tasted made by
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:47 pm »
I've got the PF Chang's at Wal-Mart & thought they were good. 

Have to try and find your recommendation here in NC.  Thanks.

jakelieb

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:50 pm »
Also, How about them Cards!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Was rooting for them last night.  Grew up in NE Arkansas & Cards were the "local" team.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:55 pm »
Just don't look at the back label.   :o
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2011, 08:37 pm by jtwrace »

srb

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:11 pm »
Just don't l :oook at the back label.   :o

I checked their website, they do post the FDA required Nutrition Facts block but they are apparently too embarassed to post the actual ingredients list.  I also see there is enough sodium per serving to choke a horse.  Bon Appetit!

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:15 pm »
No chance...gross
You can make fresh stir fry in 15min why buy Packaged crap?

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2011, 06:06 pm »

I checked their website, they do post the FDA required Nutrition Facts block but they are apparently too embarassed to post the actual ingredients list.  I also see there is enough sodium per serving to choke a horse.  Bon Appetit!

Steve

Yep, and like the majority of packaged meals, a bag/box/tray is NOT A SINGLE serving. so multiply those sodium numbers by two for that spicy chicken if someone was to say eat the whole thing. 1270mg of sodium per serving (The current recommended daily allowance for sodium is 2400mg)

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2011, 07:06 pm »

Steve
Like all processed foods, lots of sodium to add lost flavour (processed foods use processed ingredients that are not as fresh as your garden or produce section).
Having said that, the nutritional profile isn't bad. You could certainly do worse ... as in probably 80% of frozen dinner category offerings.
Lots of calories from fat, but it's a 600 calorie meal, so 1/3rd of your RDA isn't unrealistic for a supper meal. Low Saturated fat.Zero Trans fats ... although you have to read the ingredient list to be sure on that one, as the advertize-able "zero" threshold is greater than none whatsoever.Carbs are near fats, a bit lower, so appropriate for a later meal (carbs in the morning and afternoon provide energy; carbs before bed provide weight gain).Other values are very much in a healthy range.Elsewhere on the site they say they use no MSG.
That's a lot of sodium but you can't avoid that if you're eating frozen meals.
All in all, and in comparison with the competition, I'd say they are above average for frozen meals, health wise.
Me, personally, I never eat that category of food. If you do, though, you could do much worse.
Since we're talking nutrition labels, be aware that the labels are often not accurate. They are allowed a "fudge factor" in the nutrition labels, to account for variations in ingredients, substitutions, and batch consistency.
The frozen food category is highly automated, portion and ingredient controlled, and consistent. So, most (if not all) manufacturers use the fudge factor to massage the label, since they don't actually need the "room" for variation; they know within a few calories and mg what everything is.
So, they reduce the amounts listed on the label knowing that if the product tests higher, they're fine.
So, expect actual figures (sodium, calories, fat) to be up to 20% higher than what's on the label. That would be within the guidelines for nutritional labelling.