V2 plus Servo

rockdrummer

V2 plus Servo
« on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:16 pm »
I'm closer, but not close enough  :nono: not yet, to ordering a V2 kit.  I would love to eventually have a servo H frame to accompany them unless someone can tell me that would be a bad idea in any way.  From what I read, the servo system is untouchable, but the bass from the V2 is very good alone.  Would the servo be best served to accomapny them in 7.1 uses and stick with just the Venuette for two channel?  With all the additions I will need to properly amp a pair of v2 speakers, I have to remove the super v as an option, unfortunately.

Keep in mind I'm very excited about the 8" servo subs coming soon.  I will be interested to see if I will really want 12" subs over the 8". 

Ben

Danny Richie

Re: V2 plus Servo
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:12 pm »
Adding the 12" servo subs to the lower section of the V2 would make the baffle too wide for the 8" woofer and add unnecessary surface reflections.

Plus the added cost would push it up into the range of the V-1. And for $1,995 you might as well build a V-1.

I am not sure that I understand this line:

With all the additions I will need to properly amp a pair of v2 speakers, I have to remove the super v as an option, unfortunately.

Both V-1, V-2, and Super-V require only a single 2 channel amp and it can be a low powered amp.

The really cool thing about the V-2 (besides its great performance) is that it is on sale for $200 off. It is only $1,095.

rockdrummer

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:38 pm »
 I'm sorry that didn't really make sense. 

I would like servo bass somehow.  So a stand-alone servo h frame added to a pair of V2's is more affordable for me considering I want to upgrade my amlification too.  That servo bass would be used as my home theater sub, in addition to my two channel music listening, unless it wouldn't match well with the four 12" speakers already in the V2.

I have an entry level Denon receiver.  It doesn't even have preout ability.  I would like a better amp to run an upgrade in speakers.  Which means I need a receiver with pre outs, get an amp, and have that two channel ability integrated with my home theater. 

I watch AC everyday, and I refrain from asking too many questions because I am several months away from being able to purchase anything.  So I apologize that I seem to be lurking and not have any questions pertaining to my actual system.

I'm in the planning stage.  I would like a marantz receiver, a virtue one, and a pair of V2's.  Then I would like to add a servo unit because I am extremely interested in the sound I hear about.

Thanks,
Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:40 pm »
An H frame servo sub will work well with the V-2's.

You might consider a Dodd pre-amp with home theater by-pass. Nothing beats the sound and they are very affordable.

rockdrummer

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:06 pm »
I see a Dodd audio preamp currently in production on their website.  Is that the one you are talking about?

Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2011, 08:27 pm »
I see a Dodd audio preamp currently in production on their website.  Is that the one you are talking about?

Ben

Yes, it is a new unit that was just debuted at RMAF. I don't know if there is even info up on it yet.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:04 am »
Ben, thanks for your posts. :)

Your question regarding the Dodd gear got me to look back on the Dodd website. . .

I read the page regarding the current version of the 120 amps.  Sounds to me (if I'm reading right) that all the newest additions/features make them a pretty much plug-and-play solution?  I hear a lot of folks speak well on tube gear, but one of the biggest things keeping me out of that camp is the mindless simplicity of use in solid state gear.  Maybe these new amps could convince me to revisit the idea.

I poked around the tube circle for a few minutes just now and didn't see what I was looking for in the first few pages.  Does anyone happen to have a link to an article/post/etc. for a complete idiot's guide to tube gear?  I have absolutely zero experience using tube equipment (and admittedly have stayed away from it due to what little broad-stroked information I've been able to gather in reading comparing the practical side of using tubes versus solid state) and wouldn't mind reading up a little.

Thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:26 am »
Man, I am so bummed that the 8 inch servo subs were not available when I built my V2's. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2011, 06:13 am »
My tube gear has been just like any other gear. You turn it on and it's on. You turn it off and it goes off. Nothing else to hassle with. My Dodd gear has been trouble free for years. Even my big blue monster amps, with 9 tubes per amp, has never even burned out a tube.

rockdrummer

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:09 pm »
Concerning tube gear, I hear people say biasing amps is difficult and can be dangerous.  Then I hear people say, as long as you follow directions, it's simple.  I have played tube guitar amps for years and know that tubes warm up before sound will come out.  But have heard that a tube amp in a stereo needs a proper warm up before you can send a signal through it.  Not sure if that's entirely true.  Meaning damage can be done unless it's warmed up...??? 

Jonathon, I'm sure I like tube sound better because of my guitar preferences, but I know I haven't been properly educated about stereo tube gear.  So I think I'm in the same boat as you about not knowing where to start or who to take advice from.

Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:16 pm »
Its easy.

prokennex

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2011, 03:39 pm »
The biasing takes less than 5 minutes. I think the new 120's has auto biasing,
Turn them on and the music is produced. The only think I have to wait for is the preamp, because I have the battery pre (not the newest version) which has a delay built in.